Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 02:56 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,622,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
This "Trickle Up Theory" would filter up from people who will actually spend the money on goods that stimulate the economy. A rising tide floats all boats. I'm all for it.

Trickle Down Theory.

Fifty Years of Tax Cuts for Rich Didn’t Trickle Down, Study Says
https://www.cato.org/blog/middle-cla...historic%20low
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 02:21 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,431,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
This "Trickle Up Theory" would filter up from people who will actually spend the money on goods that stimulate the economy. A rising tide floats all boats. I'm all for it.

the rising tide is based on trickle down

the trickle up poverty of the liberals has never and will never work

Old 01-18-2021, 03:16 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,313,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Why do you deserve a welfare handout?

Have you lost your job?

What’s the problem?

So it's OK for other countries to provide relief, but for us it's not? While you're getting ready to tell your amazing Boomer story of "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps," let me ask you a better question.

Why does Pakistan need money from us for gender studies? Why's that our problem? Why is Egypt getting so much? Good for you for making something out of yourself after "walking uphill in the snow both ways," but a lot of people are struggling right now.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:34 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,313,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
For the love of Peter and Paul. Really? The answer is--learn to depend on and provide for yourself. A reasonable adult should be able to figure out that unforeseen circumstances happen in life and you should plan well in advance for that time to come. And, yet, all these weak American adults, many of whom live well beyond their means, are begging the government (read: me and other self-sufficient taxpayers) for welfare handouts. It's utterly shameful.

And, your comment re "cars are lined up for miles in food banks," look at the size of those adults in those cars (read: not underfed) and the nicer, newer cars they're driving, which evidently, they can't afford. Stop blaming others for your unwillingness to finance your own lifestyle and stop looking to others to pay for your reckless spending habits.

Stand on your own two feet, not on top on mine.

Yeah....because all of us saw COVID coming and this going from a two week quarantine, to a full on pandemic that destroyed our economy. Dude.....shut up. Seriously, shut your Boomer ass up! A lot of us owned those cars and houses waaaaaaaay before COVID. You are so ignorant that it's sickening. Like we get it, you're a self-absorbed ass-hat who clearly thinks you're better than everyone else.

I am grateful to have a job that allowed me to work from home, and I make good money in my career. But I'm also not looking down on others that are truly struggling in this pandemic. A lot of us are. So good for you that you apparently have more money than you know what to do with, but not everyone has you disposable income.

Seriously, don't you have something better to do? Like yell at people standing on your lawn? Or whatever it is grumpy Boomers like you do?

Old 01-18-2021, 03:43 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,572,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Millions have lost jobs and small businesses have had to close for good. Cars are lined up for miles in food banks because they can't feed their families. They can't afford to pay their rent. Many have lost their healthcare. They didn't ask for the mess we are in but they are hurting and need help. How do you consider this a welfare handout.
There's jobs out there believe it or not. I'm a truck driver trucking companies are always hiring. It's just not what people want to do that's a big problem in this country. People rather ask for handouts instead of getting out of their comfort zones.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,906,379 times
"Stimulus" checks that go to everyone doesn't make sense. I am in favor of beefed up UI however. Let those that lost their job, we're furloughed, or lost hours due to covid receive pay equal to what they lost, until either their job comes back or the crisis is declared over. No pay above what they lost, and to no one else.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:44 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,085,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Nope. That bill amended the amount of the relief checks in Pelosi's 6,000 page porkulous bill.
She proposed a stand alone bill. Do you really want to argue that?

Quote:
The Cash Act
(a) In General.—Section 6428A of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as added by the COVID-related Tax Relief Act of 2020, is amended by striking “$600” each place it appears and inserting “$2,000”, and by striking “$1,200” each place it appears and inserting “$4,000”.

(b) Effective Date.—The amendments made by this section are contingent upon the enactment of the COVID-related Tax Relief Act of 2020 and shall apply (if at all) as if included in the enactment of section 272 of such Act.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...bill/9051/text

Old 01-18-2021, 07:53 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,856,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Why in the name of god is this up for debate, who in congress dares refuse us?

I want names, why hasn't this passed through congress yesterday?
Will it be Biden's first broken promise? He has since moved the goal posts. Now that $600 was the down payment and $1400 will be the balance. LOL

I'll take it and invest it. I can buy 6 solar panels installed here for $2000 x2 will be 12 solar panels. That will go with 12 I already installed using the stimulus in March with my tax return. I already make almost as much electricity as I use. This will lower my cost of living by $40 or so a month. That or I will just buy some stocks. Either way, money found.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:50 AM

88,770 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
She proposed a stand alone bill. Do you really want to argue that?
She didn't pass a stand-alone covid relief check bill. She loaded that bill with pork galore, including a HUGE amount of US taxpayer money to be sent to other countries. Everyone knows that so quit trying to deny it.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:25 AM

42,783 posts, read 26,085,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
She didn't pass a stand-alone covid relief check bill. She loaded that bill with pork galore, including a HUGE amount of US taxpayer money to be sent to other countries. Everyone knows that so quit trying to deny it.
I didn't say "passed" I said "proposed" and I included a link to it. Wow....just wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies