Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 12:10 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Lets be clear, this isnt "Mitch" being bad only here. The ONLY reason Mitch can do this is because the rest of the GOP senators have him there by their choice. So really, this is the GOP saying no.

And while I understand that just handing folks money is a moral hazard, I also can recognize when its the best choice to help our economy. Shrug, this is the GOP hurting us so that it will hurt Biden. Think about that.
that is NOT the best thing to do to help the economy though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
He has one of the poorest states and at this point give them no credit for voting for this man again ! I think some are evil and just want to hurt people. He needed to have left with Trump - Lord bring justice.
Fy. If nobody is working or spending money - not paying taxes. The stimulus is to help it all go round - he is a foolish man.
you're retired, right?

You know that, statistically, 93% of the workforce is employed, yes?

Old 12-29-2020, 12:12 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
LOL. Trump threaten to veto COVID relief bill and said he wanted $2,000 for every American. Democrats agree with Trump, pass it in the House and McConnell and the Republican Senate blocks it.
McConnell is holding the bill hostage until after the GA runoffs in the hopes that the GOP keeps the Senate. If they do, then he'll be able to kill the bill without risking losing the majority. Given how recent it was that Loeffler and Perdue endorsed the bill, I'd bet my house that McConnell told them to speak in favor of it.

Like I said earlier, they're dangling the bill like a carrot in front of a horse, hoping they'll fool enough people into letting the GOP keep control.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:14 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
that is NOT the best thing to do to help the economy though.
I disagree. In fact Id argue for a larger number of payments at a slightly lower level, like 1k a month for example would have saved us a lot of pain thats occurred, and will occur. In fact most countries have done a better job of helping thier citizens during a pandemic, but we've failed.

The other side of it, when things get better I also hope we get leadership that recognizes its time to really pay down the deficit spending. Obama failed at that, Trump failed at that, and im hoping Biden has the wisdom to start paying it off in a couple years when this is in the rear view mirror.

But thats not the topic, the topic really is-The government is giving this money to the wealthiest to help them, and ignoring the people its supposed to represent. And the GOP very specifically has gone above and beyond in this.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:16 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:

And while I understand that just handing folks money is a moral hazard, I also can recognize when its the best choice to help our economy.
Hmm, kind of like lower taxes. You like to have it both ways, huh?

Old 12-29-2020, 12:20 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Hmm, kind of like lower taxes. You like to have it both ways, huh?
Im not a fan of lower taxes when we have a deficit, so I dont think you understand me at all, and instead just want to throw out nonsense accusations. Mostly because I suspect you dont like the topic pointing out how the GOP doesnt care about people, just corporations.

In good times, you tax at higher rates, or lower spending, or preferably both to pay down deficits. In bad times-like a pandemic-you spend your money to avoid longer term damages to your economy. Its not that complicated.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:23 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Bold, dismissive, and ultimately disingenuous talk from someone who is desperately avoiding the issue, because you know you're wrong. You're probably used to it, though.
No, I'm not wrong. The bill will be voted on by the entire Senate.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mcc...cks-quick-vote

It couldn't be any clearer than that. Unlike you & especially the OP I at least have something to back up what I post. It did not avoid the issue but rather addressed the lies and misinformation you liberals like to post.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-30-2020 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: name calling

Old 12-29-2020, 12:23 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,913 times
We absolutely need to address the deficit but one can't complain about the deficient while endorsing lowering taxes for the wealthiest among us when study after study shows that those tax cut benefits do not go toward job creation, increasing wages but instead towards stock buybacks and increasing detrimental income inequality. With lower taxation and more pork (from both parties) how is the deficit supposed to be paid off? The tooth money creation fairy?

Complaining about the deficit but not complaining about all the money (hundreds of millions) spent on golf outings and other frivolous expenses?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...1be_story.html

It would be hypocritical to do so.

This bill went towards giving struggling American's (not other countries) money. No pork. No extras. Now the "we oppose pork" Republicans want to add pork to it just so they can say that is the reason why they will not vote on it. It is a shame and a cop out. Really is.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I disagree. In fact Id argue for a larger number of payments at a slightly lower level, like 1k a month for example would have saved us a lot of pain thats occurred, and will occur. In fact most countries have done a better job of helping thier citizens during a pandemic, but we've failed.

The other side of it, when things get better I also hope we get leadership that recognizes its time to really pay down the deficit spending. Obama failed at that, Trump failed at that, and im hoping Biden has the wisdom to start paying it off in a couple years when this is in the rear view mirror.

But thats not the topic, the topic really is-The government is giving this money to the wealthiest to help them, and ignoring the people its supposed to represent. And the GOP very specifically has gone above and beyond in this.
I thought the topic was merely whether we should have a $2K stimulus check. Some have said for everyone, some for 1 income group, some for a higher income ceiling.

You said that was the "best choice to help the economy."

I should have been clearer - the BEST way to help the economy is to eliminate the restrictions on the economy.

The best way to help the PEOPLE who have been economically harmed by Covid is to pay the jobless 100% of their earnings, and retroactively if needed. And those whose income has been diminished, get them to 100%. Now, if you REALLY wanted to do it right, you'd first pay any back rent before you gave them checks, but that's kind of convoluted.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:26 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I doubt whether or not your comprehension level is at the 5th grade level. McConnel blocked the QUICK VOTE.

The bill will be voted on by the entire Senate.

You should stop blabbering about this stuff until you know what you're blabbering about.
Really? And why do you think McConnel blocked it? What's wrong with giving IMMEDIATE relief to Americans? Do you really believe he suddenly became fiscally responsible?

He had no problem giving billions in tax breaks to large businesses, and billions more in aid to foreign countries, but couldn't see his way clear to give average Americans $2000 when they are facing unprecedented financial hardship. Meanwhile, he approved his own pay raise in the funding bill because he apparently needs more money personally. The GOP needs to lose control of the senate and the sooner the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies