Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 01:41 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
What makes anyone think McConnel is going to put the bill up for a full vote in the Senate? He will prob burry it on his desk with the hundreds of other bills.
I think he is waiting to see how the Georgia election turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 01:44 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
He'll claim that he'll vote on it later, and since Loeffler and Perdue recently spoke in favor of the $2,000 checks, he's gambling that'll dupe swing voters to go for Loeffler and Perdue. Then if they win, McConnell will bury the bill afterwards and laugh about it.

Hopefully, GA voters will see through his BS and save the country from his chokehold.

If I were Georgia resident, I'd ask to postpone the local elections, until "the dust settles in."

Or to speed up the vote in the Senate.
One or the other.
But that's just me.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
LOL. Trump threaten to veto COVID relief bill and said he wanted $2,000 for every American. Democrats agree with Trump, pass it in the House and McConnell and the Republican Senate blocks it.

# Donald Trump; not your boring president.

"If Trump gets his way, McConnell will bring the checks up for a vote.

"Unless Republicans have a death wish, and it is also the right thing to do, they must approve the $2000 payments ASAP," Trump tweeted Tuesday. "$600 IS NOT ENOUGH! Also, get rid of Section 230 - Don’t let Big Tech steal our Country, and don’t let the Democrats steal the Presidential Election. Get tough!"

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mcc...cks-quick-vote

Old 12-29-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Oh well we dumb Americans have no one to blame but ourselves. Elect crap get crap even when you know it’s crap. The sweet suffering. Keep it coming. It’s like going back to an. abusive spouse LOL

At some point stupidity needs to be held accountable for being stupid
Your post makes me think back to what the house and senate's duties actually are.
The house members are elected to represent the people's interest, while the senate members are elected to represent the states interest.

Blocking such an important issue as this stimulus check is absolutely bad for all states.
States thrive when economies' are good, and giving people money that they will spend is good for all states.

I think to many times people do not understand what the two houses of congress do.
It would appear, the way opinion goes, that the senate is supposed to be looking out for each one of us in how they handle issues, when in fact, it is the duty of the senate to not look out for people's interest, but the interest of the state they were elected to serve.

The states will benefit by this stimulus spending, so it should be approved, in not only the interest of the people, but the states themselves.

Again, important to remember just what the actual representation of both houses of congress is meant to be.
One side looks out for the interest of the people, while the other looks out for the interest of the states.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Your post makes me think back to what the house and senate's duties actually are.
The house members are elected to represent the people's interest, while the senate members are elected to represent the states interest.

Blocking such an important issue as this stimulus check is absolutely bad for all states.
States thrive when economies' are good, and giving people money that they will spend is good for all states.

I think to many times people do not understand what the two houses of congress do.
It would appear, the way opinion goes, that the senate is supposed to be looking out for each one of us in how they handle issues, when in fact, it is the duty of the senate to not look out for people's interest, but the interest of the state they were elected to serve.

The states will benefit by this stimulus spending, so it should be approved, in not only the interest of the people, but the states themselves.

Again, important to remember just what the actual representation of both houses of congress is meant to be.
One side looks out for the interest of the people, while the other looks out for the interest of the states.

Wait a minute - so "the states interests" and "people's interests" are not one and the same thing?
Who lives in the "states" then?

Old 12-29-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Wait a minute - so "the states interests" and "people's interests" are not one and the same thing?
Who lives in the "states" then?
The "states interest" is many times different from the people's interest.
True, people living in a state benefit by actions the senate takes with regard to the states, but the sole responsibility of the senate it to protect state interest.
I will give you an example.
The house will approaite expenditures for the federal government, but the senate votes on how that money will be allotted to the individual states.
State governments rely on federal funding for many of the state's operations.
State operations benefit the people as a whole, but the original vote in the senate does not take into consideration the people, as a class, but rather, the state .
When people vote for a senator, they are voting for the person who will best represent the state's interest, not the people living in it.

Senators vote on appropriations for road construction, bridges, airports, etc.
These benefit the general public, but are dealt in the senate as a bill for the states.

In matters concerning the people directly, it is the house representative we elected to see that our wishes are met.
There is a world of difference in what each side of congress does.
Most do not understand this.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:35 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think he is waiting to see how the Georgia election turns out.
He doesn't like the republican senators to vote on anything it would expose them for what they are, same thing with Garland's supreme court nomination. But when it comes to voting on a tax cut or to defeat the ACA no problem, court nominees can be voted on in a week but oh the absolute horror of voting on an increase in stimulus with people in dire shape.

Imagine allowing senators to actually vote on bills so their constituents can see them in action, this is all about protecting Loeffler, Perdue and others at the expense of the American people.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:39 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot21 View Post
Its time we get all this rampant demonrats spending under control anyway. Poor people need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and stop asking for handouts!! Quit asking for someone else to give you something for nothing. I'm sure all my conservative friends would be saying the same thing now but their all at work unlike you libdems! Only good thing to come from this is corporate meals are now fully tax deductible, handouts are for the lazy.
Sure these people that are out of rent money and food just need to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, we need more corporate tax cuts. Who do these people think they are, republicans are all about getting spending under control.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:43 PM

1,231 posts, read 448,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot21 View Post
Its time we get all this rampant demonrats spending under control anyway. Poor people need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and stop asking for handouts!! Quit asking for someone else to give you something for nothing. I'm sure all my conservative friends would be saying the same thing now but their all at work unlike you libdems! Only good thing to come from this is corporate meals are now fully tax deductible, handouts are for the lazy.
Most people who need this money are people with 2 or 3 jobs. It's not a hand out.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:47 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I don't think this will lose the Georgia Senate seats for Republicans. It is an upward battle for the Dems there and it will be close but the Republicans will still win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies