Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 11:15 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Whats up with this BS that people only making 75k or less get a stimulus check ? These are being called STIMULUS checks ? Right .... ?

I pay a lot in taxes , and I will most likely pay taxes on this BS money being borrowed. So guess what....we should ALL be getting a check. Especially those that pay tens of thousands of dollars in taxes every year.

I paid well over 60k in Federal income tax last year. My family should be getting a check just like anyone else.

I find it funny that people that do not even work in the first place get these checks.
I do see your point, but it is pretty tone deaf. Your job as someone in the upper levels of income - the people that got a larger tax break than those making $75k or less... was to use that refund to stimulate the economy - you know, trickle down and all.

If you are paying that much in taxes, what is $600 to you anyway? You can't be doing that poorly if you are paying that much in taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 11:23 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I do see your point, but it is pretty tone deaf. Your job as someone in the upper levels of income - the people that got a larger tax break than those making $75k or less... was to use that refund to stimulate the economy - you know, trickle down and all.

If you are paying that much in taxes, what is $600 to you anyway? You can't be doing that poorly if you are paying that much in taxes.
Those at the lower end of the income strata also received tax breaks from the 2017 tax law. With all due respect, we don’t really know which kind of breaks this high income guy had other than the lower tax percentages (which also extended to lower incomes). It is a question of fairness really.
In fact, the rich guy might have lost important tax breaks like the lowered SALT deduction of $10,000.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:37 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,408,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Whats up with this BS that people only making 75k or less get a stimulus check ? These are being called STIMULUS checks ? Right .... ?

I pay a lot in taxes , and I will most likely pay taxes on this BS money being borrowed. So guess what....we should ALL be getting a check. Especially those that pay tens of thousands of dollars in taxes every year.

I paid well over 60k in Federal income tax last year. My family should be getting a check just like anyone else.

I find it funny that people that do not even work in the first place get these checks.

I disagree because I didn't want the last check (donated it to help local needs) and don't need this budget busting check either.

Checks shouldn't go to anyone making over 50K in 2020.

There shouldn't be a bail out for states or cities that were in financial trouble prior to 2020 due to mismanagement.
Only businesses of less than 50 employees should get help, mostly restaurant and bars.
Businesses like pot shops and liquor store which have reminded open and any business deemed essential by governor mandate should not get squat.
Foreign aide like the gender identity aid to Pakistan should be stricken (10B) along with 230 protection for facebook and tweeter.
https://nypost.com/2020/12/22/covid-...n-foreign-aid/

Old 01-01-2021, 12:34 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
How many times in a year does someone buy a huge BOAT anyway? twice a year? once a month? how many boats does a person NEED, 7 ? one in a different color for each day of the week?

No, a boat is probably a once in a decade purchase, they don't wear out in a few months like shoes!

Like a snowmobile or lawn mower- it's not going to be used 365 days a year, it's a luxury item that most of it's life will sit unused at a dock or dry storage which all costs money. Same thing for your home's furnace and water heater- both are once in a decade purchases, my current gas furnace was built in 1978, my water heater is 8 years old and replaced the original one that was 38 years old, you can even look up my furnace- a Lennox G11e, discontinued around 1978.

There are many reasons why an industry like boat building would slump that has nothing to do with higher taxes. Anyone who can afford a $500,000 boat can afford $510,000 for it.
Who the hell are you telling other people what they need?

Old 01-01-2021, 01:43 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times
I'll start off by saying I did not read all 200 posts here. I have 2 questions, I did try to google but still cannot find the answers. Thanks in advance for any help!

1. My 2019 earnings were slightly over $75000 so I got partial stimulus payments both times. My 2020 earnings are under $75000. I got about $380 with stimulus 2, will I be able to claim an underpayment of $220 ($600 full stimulus minus the $380 I received?) on my 2020 taxes and receive that when I file taxes?

2. My niece got both full stimulus payments for her son. He turned 17 in November and is still being claimed on her income taxes. Will she have to return the 2nd $600 payment when she does her 2020 taxes?

Old 01-01-2021, 03:55 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I'll start off by saying I did not read all 200 posts here. I have 2 questions, I did try to google but still cannot find the answers. Thanks in advance for any help!

1. My 2019 earnings were slightly over $75000 so I got partial stimulus payments both times. My 2020 earnings are under $75000. I got about $380 with stimulus 2, will I be able to claim an underpayment of $220 ($600 full stimulus minus the $380 I received?) on my 2020 taxes and receive that when I file taxes?

2. My niece got both full stimulus payments for her son. He turned 17 in November and is still being claimed on her income taxes. Will she have to return the 2nd $600 payment when she does her 2020 taxes?
1) YES, you should be able to claim the difference. The $600 is an “advance credit” paid to you now, but filed on your 2o20 tax year filing. Since you already received some, no reason why you would not claim the difference.

2) on this, I think that she is in the clear. Bumbling govt will not ask the taxpayer for overpayments.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:43 PM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
I pay taxes but I don't expect to get food stamps, welfare, grants, etc so why should people who don't need them get them. Somethings we pay taxes we will never see in any shape or form. What we will see is another tax bill higher than the last one.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:53 PM

760 posts, read 768,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I pay taxes but I don't expect to get food stamps, welfare, grants, etc so why should people who don't need them get them.
So let's have overpaid govt shills on the payroll spend MONTHS of time and tax money carefully combing through each and every single citizens' "situation" and determine which ones "deserve" the lousy $600 or $2,000 and which ones DON'T!

Sounds like a real efficient prigram.. NOT!

We throw away over $700 BILLION a year on the military and war, $20 billion in farm subsidy welfare checks paying farmers to NOT grow crops, and another $50 billion on foreign aid, while McConnel said the $2,000 checks would cost $462 billion!

$462 billion to give EVERYONE in this country making under $75,000 a year- a $2000 check, and you are griping that some small percentage of that might go to people who you claim "dont need it"

Quote:
Many conservatives opposed increasing just-approved $600 checks to $2,000, saying it would add an estimated $462 billion to the national debt
Whether someone "needs" the check or not doesnt matter, the program is to STIMULATE THE ECONOMY, people who get those checks will SPEND the money, that means they are paying past due bills, buying clothes and supplies etc (AND paying sales tax on that stuff which returns about 8% of the money) and their purchases keep stores and businesses in operation who in turn pay taxes on those sales- and that money goes back to the govt.

And yeah, I've HAD to get food stamps in the 1990s, not because it was a fantastic windfall to get FREE stuff, but because I moved to a new state and couldnt find a job and my only means of transportation was a partially converted 70 passenger ten year old school bus I was living in, there were no cell phones and I had no credit cards or savings, the $1000 cash I HAD when I moved was eaten up by repairs, gas and expenses on the road, I arrived with $70 left.

So I got a whopping $35 a month in food stamps!!!! a single able body male cannot GET welfare, but golly if you are FEMALE, especially if you get yourself pregnant- the state will fawn all over you with free everything!

I had to buy groceries in a way to get 80 or so cents in change cash and go to a couple or three stores and do the same so I could buy maybe 3 gallons of GAS which at that time was about $.89 a gallon and that didn't go very far in a 60 gallon tank!
That was the SAME time my father wound up in the hospital with a triple bypass, and grandma in Florida was hit by a car and died, and I was 3,000 miles away with no money and nobody could help.

The only job I was able to find then with no formal skills or college degree was a part time janitorial job that paid min wage, I think it was $3.35 or $2.70 an hour back then, and it was in a city 20 miles away, that was 40 miles a day driving a vehicle that got about 6 mpg to work 4 hours, and they paid every two week, it was completely unviable and I couldn't keep working there, the numbers simply didn't work- it cost me more in transportation than I made.

The rented RV pad I prepaid before moving, evicted me and I was parked on the street in the July heat with no air conditioning, no running water or shower and 4 dogs which I rolled some change up to buy dog food for, and got a food box at a nearby church.

I had NO idea what I was going to do, that was when two things happened, one was a cousin I hardly knew died and had left her IRA in her will to me, because she knew I had dogs like she did! That was $21,000 and it was supposed to take a week to get the check , but wound up taking closer to 2 MONTHS because she was only in her 50s and they wanted to check out how she died, get signature samples at her work etc.

The other thing that happened was the neighbors next to the RV pad where I was evicted from who had often stopped by to see if I needed a ride to town- came looking for me after hearing what happened, the wife found me parked on the street and said she and her husband wanted to invite me to park on their little ranch until I got on my feet!

They gave me the key to their house and said I could use their shower etc and their phone, "our house is your house" she said.

There's a lot more to the story after that, but I'll stop here, the POINT is- you dont know what other people's situations and lives are or what they are going thru! That summer/month my life was completely turned upside down and a LOT of stress- new state, no job or car or phone or money, 2 relatives dying, father winding up in the hospital, and that wasn't the end of it either.

Last edited by Sculptor; 01-01-2021 at 05:19 PM..

Old 01-01-2021, 05:33 PM

760 posts, read 768,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Who the hell are you telling other people what they need?

Someone I wasnt talking to, you... but responding to someone elses' claim about how boatbuilders were "put out of business" in the US allegedly due to higher taxes. Go back to your 40 foot yacht and take a nap.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:51 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Someone I wasnt talking to, you... but responding to someone elses' claim about how boatbuilders were "put out of business" in the US allegedly due to higher taxes. Go back to your 40 foot yacht and take a nap.
What a lousy dodge!

My question still stands: who are you to dictate what other people can own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies