Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2020, 09:37 AM

6,129 posts, read 7,950,081 times

Advertisements

Doesn't Trump realize that without Section 230 his Magic Twitter Machine won't work any more?

Hmmmm.....maybe that's not such a bad idea after all.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 09:45 AM

11,198 posts, read 8,238,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky444 View Post
Did you folks protest Nancy Pelosi's "Covid stimulus" bills as hard for the last six months, loaded with pork and unrelated garbage that caused the Senate to reject them again and again?
It was attached to an omnibus spending bill, not new pork. More right wing talking pojnts that mislead their unintended base.

Again, McConnel is playing games and I don't think it will help his cause or image. We shall see. (And yes, I know Democrats play games too. This time it is the Republicans.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:54 AM

56,927 posts, read 25,867,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Doesn't Trump realize that without Section 230 his Magic Twitter Machine won't work any more?

Hmmmm.....maybe that's not such a bad idea after all.....
Yes eliminate comments from far left and right and we can go back to reading newspapers and writing letters to the editor. How did these right wing groups get the word out before social media, I assume this would include Parlor.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:55 AM

29,180 posts, read 22,196,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Pairing it with a repeal of section 230 Social Media shield, is ingenious. GOP Senators will overwhelmingly approve it, so Senate Dems are now going to be the ones who kill the $2k stimulus checks.

MM plays political chess with absolute precision.

https://www.newsweek.com/magaland-mi...battle-1557889
About as shrewd as a glow in the dark sledgehammer.

McConnell doesn't do shrewd. He wants the Senate to know who's boss- that's only Mitch, in his mind- and makes it very, very plain to every single one of them with every move he makes.

McConnell has always been totally tactical. He despised Trump's interference in 'his' Senate, but he went along with Trump because he had to. Now that Trump is leaving, Mitch is intent on re-establishing his dominance again while he still has a bit of it left.

I don't know how this will play out, but Trump did have the right idea for once; $2,000 its enough to rebound the economy when it combines with mass vaccination. $600 can't do squat.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:22 AM

587 posts, read 297,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Which of these things do you consider pork?

Breaking down the $900B stimulus package and $1.4T omnibus bill
https://katv.com/news/nation-world/t...-stimulus-bill
“It’s called the COVID Relief Bill, but it has almost nothing to do with COVID,†Trump said. “This bill contains $85.5 million for assistance to Cambodia, $134 million to Burma, $1.3 billion for Egypt and the Egyptian military, which will go out and buy almost exclusively Russian military equipment. $25 million for democracy and gender programs in Pakistan, $505 million to Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama. $40 million for the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC, which is not even open for business. $1 billion for the Smithsonian and an additional $154 million for the National Gallery of Art. Likewise, these facilities are essentially not open.â€

Which of this is related to Americans getting relief? If you read the whole 5k+ pages, kudos to you but I can guarantee you that there are lots of pork in the bill unrelated to Americans getting Covid relief. If Pelosi had done just a stand alone bill several months ago and not tie it to the Omnibus bill, might have been different but Pelosi had even more pork in the earlier bill. So, Pelosi doesn't get a pass and she only agreed to 2k bill now being considered only because Trump signed the covid bill that's tied to the omnibus bill and got what she wanted.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:45 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,762,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I believe the House has already adjourned sine die so any change to the House passed bill is simply an obvious effort by Mitch to kill the $2000 checks, the OP is delusional if he thinks Mitch can pin that effort on Dems.
I think Mitch knows he would lose the Senate if he didn't put it to a vote so he put other Trump proposals around it to get one Republican support (especially with tacking Section 230 to it.) McConnell added the affermentioned Section 230 (I'll get to this later) and a commission to investigate voter fraud. The commission to investigate voter fraud will be just another Benghazi witch hunt and end up like the Trump commission for voter fraud in 2016. Don't you think any form of voter fraud would be found by now?

Quote:
Like I said, repealing Section 230 will cause City Data forum to all but disappear.
Very possibly. Also potentially less politically active forums. I've long frequented other forums with no political talk or bias and I fear those will be the real loser. That's all I'll say here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Facebook, Twitter, Google, Apple, and MSM are not the government. Nice try.
No but they can moderate and ban people for what people say. What I find is there are a LOT of conservatives that resort to using slurs when challenged. Saw a few on Twitter during the whole stimulus check mess. I can tell you how many times I've been called a word that rhymes with "bag". Calling someone a word that rhymes with "bag" breaks TOS since it is a slur. I don't understand why some people think calling people slurs is permissable.

Quote:
If McConnell wanted the people in need to get $2000, wouldn't he have passed a clean bill with only that?
McConnell knows that he couldn't get half of the Republican Senators to sign off, let alone unanimous consent. If Sen. Lee, Cruz Paul or Johnson were there, they would shoot it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Calzadilla View Post
Simply do not censor like the Communist tyrannies do to protect their establishments of corruption, crimes and slavery do, then no platform media or communication will disappear for the good health of the freedom of speech and First Amendment of the US Constitution. It is all about FREEDOM versus CONTROL. You oppress my freedom to express myself then you cannot exist by no means and under no conditions. That's what America was founded for.
Here is the problem, the TOS you sign to post on here, Twitter or Facebook or whatever isn't protected by First Amendment. Just as you can't use First Amendment on your job site and expect to not have a write-up or be fired. What I find is that people do not not like that the First Amendment does not absolve them of speaking responsibly and from the consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
Those Georgia voters can deliver a stiff right cross to mcconnell's filthy republican face.

Vote Raphie and Jonnie ... and vote HARD, Georgia!!!
Yep, this is what Trump is really talking with the death wish, if he wasn't just blustering on Twitter (which Trump usually does.) Georgia's run-off favors Republicans but Warnok is ahead of the alien robot Loeffler by 2 points (still margin of error) while Ossoff and Perdue is the race to really watch since Ossoff only has a point lead. Warnok has lead in more polls than Loeffler has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
They cut all of the pork?
Trump caved and signed the bill with the pork. Likely enough handlers got to him and told him "You know that not signing this and sending it this back this late will hurt your 2024 bid, right?" All Trump cares about is winning. Not about the American people, himself.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:02 AM

7,179 posts, read 6,744,166 times
You know things are bad when the nation is counting on Georgia to save us from Kentucky.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:04 AM

33,507 posts, read 18,020,880 times
Quote:
Pairing it with a repeal of section 230 Social Media shield, is ingenious. GOP Senators will overwhelmingly approve it, so Senate Dems are now going to be the ones who kill the $2k stimulus checks.

McConnell took a page out of Nancy Pelosi's dirty deals. We have seen Pelosi do this constantly.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:24 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,762,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
McConnell took a page out of Nancy Pelosi's dirty deals. We have seen Pelosi do this constantly.
And McConnell and anyone else who held a house of Congress hasn't done it long before. It is just politics as usual.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:55 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,739,278 times
Quote:

MM is smarter than all of congress combined. I detest him and he doesn't care about struggling Americans, but no one with half a brain can deny his smarts.

It will play out exactly as you say. Dems will never go for repeal of section 230 (and rightfully so), and will end up 'the bad guys'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies