Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 06:21 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Both states contain the nation's largest cities. Apparently this simple fact is unknown by you.

January 20, 2021 can't come soon enough.
If they had done their jobs as leaders then those states wouldn't have had the massive death counts. Look at large cities in other countries that reacted as if COVID was a real threat. Population size isn't the reason those cities are hit so hard. Bad leadership from the top down is. Meaning from Trump down to the mayors. That and people simply refusing to use common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 06:21 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...msedgntp&pfr=1

Looks like draconian lockdowns and mask mandates aren't really working. Of course, some of us were saying that months ago.
Not everybody in CA was locked down or wore masks. Unfortunately, until we all take the necessary steps to stop its spread, Covid will continue to run rampant in our country. Covid isn't political, and doesn't care if you're red or blue.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
If they had done their jobs as leaders then those states wouldn't have had the massive death counts. Look at large cities in other countries that reacted as if COVID was a real threat. Population size isn't the reason those cities are hit so hard. Bad leadership from the top down is. Meaning from Trump down to the mayors. That and people simply refusing to use common sense.
Don't rely on the government for anything is the true lesson.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Not everybody in CA was locked down or wore masks. Unfortunately, until we all take the necessary steps to stop its spread, Covid will continue to run rampant in our country. Covid isn't political, and doesn't care if you're red or blue.
You can pass laws and mandate all you like. If you dont enforce the laws or mandates you get what you accept. A good example is our immigration laws. We have a lot of immigration laws but they are poorly enforced thus the 13 million plus illegals.

Where I live it is a $500 fine if you are caught in public without a mask. 100% of all stores and restaurants must have a temperature machine at the door, along with sign in sheets and hand sanitizer. They have shut businesses down with heavy fines for failure to comply. To date 60 deaths nationwide due to covid.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
You can pass laws and mandate all you like. If you dont enforce the laws or mandates you get what you accept. A good example is our immigration laws. We have a lot of immigration laws but they are poorly enforced thus the 13 million plus illegals.

Where I live it is a $500 fine if you are caught in public without a mask. 100% of all stores and restaurants must have a temperature machine at the door, along with sign in sheets and hand sanitizer. They have shut businesses down with heavy fines for failure to comply. To date 60 deaths nationwide due to covid.
I agree with you, but with this country of individualists and people who refuse to think of anyone but themselves, there would be pandemonium. What works in Asia and other places outside the U.S. stands a snowball's chance in hell of being implemented. Sadly, there was no responsible leadership at the top when we needed it at the outset of this pandemic.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Don't rely on the government for anything is the true lesson.
Especially money management. That said some things only the government is in position to manage. It's when they dont that you get 10's of thousands of needless deaths. I say let the necks who dont believe in science catch the Covid, those who die . die. Darwin gets a win. I say the same thing about drug addicts, people cleaning loaded firearms, and people trying to pet the polar bear at the zoo.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:30 PM

17,623 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:
You liberals keep saying the virus isn’t political when all you’ve done since the pandemic started is use it as a political weapon against Trump. Spare us.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:33 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Especially money management. That said some things only the government is in position to manage. It's when they dont that you get 10's of thousands of needless deaths. I say let the necks who dont believe in science catch the Covid, those who die . die. Darwin gets a win. I say the same thing about drug addicts, people cleaning loaded firearms, and people trying to pet the polar bear at the zoo.
I disagree that the government is the only entity that can manage things but I'm an anarchist so there's that.

The free market could have nipped this whole thing in the bud at the beginning.

On your property, I do as you say. On my property, you do as I say.

The hoaxers would have been dead early on and without any impact to the economy...in my opinion.

Government has done nothing but prolong this misery in terms of the actual virus as well as the economic turmoil.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I agree with you, but with this country of individualists and people who refuse to think of anyone but themselves, there would be pandemonium. What works in Asia and other places outside the U.S. stands a snowball's chance in hell of being implemented. Sadly, there was no responsible leadership at the top when we needed it at the outset of this pandemic.
The left politicized the Virus and fought anything the Trump Admin wanted to do. What little it did try to do anyway. New York is a text book case of how to totally screw it up, yet the left pat the leadership of NY on the back for a job well done. Compare Bangkok to NYC. Population only 100,000 different. when you are talking 8 million , 100,000 is not much. Look at the different outcomes.

The real difference? In Bangkok they backed their restrictions with very real penalties. That and you are right. Americans just have to thumb their noses at authority. Death be damned, no one is telling me what to do. Darwin gets the win.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
You liberals keep saying the virus isn’t political when all you’ve done since the pandemic started is use it as a political weapon against Trump. Spare us.
Trump was his own undoing. He had a chance to lead this country when we needed it most and he decided we weren't that important. Again, Covid isn't political. Until steps are taken to mitigate the spread, it will do what it does. Unfortunately, Trump paved the way for it to do just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies