Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 07:56 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Because Walmart is frequented mostly by Trump supporters, who really just don't care, or even believe the Panemic is an issue. They squawk outloud all the time about the unfairness, but then go do that which they cry about. Just like abortions, breaking laws, weed, name-calling and everything else.

And FWIW, where I live (NC), walmarts are enforcing mask mandates, and other businesses are supposed to be under the same rules and guidelines.

In short, all this crying about how Walmart has special privelegde while other privately owned retail companies are not even allowed to open their doors seems to be another Right-Wing Progaganda lie. It's just not the case here.

Raleigh NC and surrounding areas....
Where in the world do you get the idea that Walmart is frequented by Trump supporters? In my Walmart, it is almost exclusively blacks and Latinos - both groups of which vote primarily Democrat.

You seem to have this (snobby, superior-than-thou) attitude that Trump voters are poor and uneducated, and Biden voters are affluent and educated. Drive around the poor districts of DC, and it is almost all black - with voter records coming in at almost 100% Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 07:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I live in California with draconian stay at home and lockdown. Restaurants are not even allowed to have dining outside in 70F temperature.

BUT, Costco/Walmart/Target/SamsClub/HomeDepot are PACKED.

Makes zero sense.
There are no lockdowns in the US.
If there were, big box would not be open.

The situation in some areas of California demonstrates the impact of what could happen anywhere, when enough of the public chooses to ignore the risks. Most of us assume that in the event of a serious accident, stroke, heart attack etc, we will be able to obtain immediate attention in a hospital.

It is my understanding Stay at Home orders were issued in regions of the state with less than 15% ICU availability.

Shopping appears to be one of the defined exceptions and is not limited to big box.

Those who prefer to avoid others can use curb side pick up and home delivery. Many neighbors are willing to shop for high risk neighbors, too.

Given the hospital situation in some regions of this state, I would seek to do my share and avoid in person shopping, when possible.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What makes you think Walmart is operating at 200% capacity, anywhere! Sound like that would be a serious violation of local codes.

Seems to me the foot print of most Walmart’s is multiples of say a typical Trader Joe’s, thus it would have a larger maximum occupancy limit.

Some municipalities may have ordered retail stores to operate at X% of maximum occupancy as a part of their pandemic strategy. That some do does not mean all municipalities do.

Small and large retail stores are open for business as usual in my neck of the woods.
Exactly. Trader Joe's is smaller than the average supermarket. Mind you I havent seen Fry's and WinCo (the two supermarkets I frequent) or even Targetactually count like Walmart does.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:00 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
With every small store closed and all other chain stores like Home Depot or Trader Joe's counting entries to maintain mandated 50% occupancy limits, why is every Walmart I've been to overflowing at twice pre-pandemic capacity? I've never seen such lax protocol anywhere else. it's like they are getting a pass. I for one avoid Wally like the plague.

Perhaps you should move. Where I live there are no such restrictions or limits.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:04 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are no lockdowns in the US.
If there were, big box would not be open.

The situation in some areas of California demonstrates the impact of what could happen anywhere, when enough of the public chooses to ignore the risks. Most of us assume that in the event of a serious accident, stroke, heart attack etc, we will be able to obtain immediate attention in a hospital.

It is my understanding Stay at Home orders were issued in regions of the state with less than 15% ICU availability.

Shopping appears to be one of the defined exceptions and is not limited to big box.

Those who prefer to avoid others can use curb side pick up and home delivery. Many neighbors are willing to shop for high risk neighbors, too.

Given the hospital situation in some regions of this state, I would seek to do my share and avoid in person shopping, when possible.
ok, then give me a reason why restaurants are not allow to have dining outside in open air, 6 feet distance between tables, and all employees adhere to safety protocol.

BUT all other big box stores are packed with customers like sardines.

Leftist science?

Old 01-02-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
QUOTE=DTWflyer;60041549]I

The amount of people there was insane. Tons without masks, or just wearing on their chins. Lots of zombie like people who were just hanging out, not sure if they were actually shopping or just went there because they were bored
Yet, I an sure you finished your shopping there and will continue to shop at Walmart. When will people realize that you complain with your wallet?[/quote]

Most retailers do not want to be Mask Police and put their employees at risk of verbal abuse and potential physical harm from customers who choose to not mask up.

Most consumers do however comply and avoid to the best of their ability those who do not.

Masks mostly protect others from the wearer’s respiratory droples that are expressed upon ordinary exhalation.

Obviously some people prefer to not be inconvenienced by a mask and avoid taking responsibility for their own respiratory droplets. Usually others can avoid being in close proximity to such people by maintaining distance.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:12 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Around here everything is allowed to be open. The problem, it seems, is that there are restrictions in how many people can be in at once. And even though they are not being enforced as they are not laws like many think, thank God, the media and that A-hole "DR doom and gloom" is scaring the bejesus out of many so they are frightened to leave the house. So the few times they actually go out they go to the one crowded big box , like Wally World, and get their things there instead of supporting the small businesses that make up the majority of this town.

So, the small businesses, not bringing in the income that they once did, can't pay their few employees and other bills so have to close shop. Many are going to think "Oh Well" that's competition and just the way it goes but not really. This is competition on steroids where the people can't seem to, or won't make their own decisions on where to shop because of the constant fear tactics of the media. It has gone beyond the brainwash stage to the point that those who believe everything the media says shame those who just want to go on living their life and accepting that just getting out of ones bed (from crib to hospital cot in life) is taking an acceptable risk!

It's getting old! Thank god there are many who still want to go on living that some small businesses, like mine, are actually doing well because people still want to take vacations and do things but they are being kept local (within a few hours drive).

Old 01-02-2021, 08:36 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
With every small store closed and all other chain stores like Home Depot or Trader Joe's counting entries to maintain mandated 50% occupancy limits, why is every Walmart I've been to overflowing at twice pre-pandemic capacity? I've never seen such lax protocol anywhere else. it's like they are getting a pass. I for one avoid Wally like the plague.
Every store in my small city in TN is open and has been this entire time. I don't know what Walmart's policies are now, but for months they were limiting the number of people inside their stores. I see maskless people sitting inside restaurants every time I drive by one.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:42 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Where do you live OP that “every” small store is closed?
I work part-time in a small store - we reopened around Memorial Day.

Also, all of the Walmarts in my area have counters at the door as do Costco, Sam’s, etc.
It’s not unusual to see people lined up outside during the busier times of day.

Sounds your area has an issue with local enforcement.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The entire thing is unexplainable. These Dems say they're "for the little guy," and yet they have driven 1/3 of all small businesses out of business by forcing them to close, and yet Target and Walmart and the other big stores were allowed to stay open, and profit.
About 50% of small businesses fail within 5 years, nothing to do with Covid restrictions. Restaurants have the highest rate of failure in any given year- nothing to do with Covid or politics.

Early on many states temporarily closed retail stores that did not sell essential products. Some small businesses got creative and sold TP.

A few states required big box to prevent access to non essential goods.

I am unaware these restrictions continue to survive. Have I missed something?

Restaurants are a different matter. A variety of restrictions are imposed at state/ county/ local government levels. This can range from banning all dining, or just indoor dining or limiting occupancy or number who can be seated at a table and my personal favorite, hours of operation. Everyone knows Covid only comes out to infect after X:00 PM and never the breakfast trade.

My state prohibits all indoor dining. Based on observation of the massive Chicago suburban area, most independent restaurants are open for business. National chains, not so much.

Went out for an early dinner at one place last week. The bar area was packed with maskless people and easy to avoid. Tables were spaced far apart in the dining area. Interestingly, service was uncharacteristically terrible. Told the kitchen was bare bones staffing because employees were sick/ quaranteening. Not exactly what one wants to hear while waiting for their meal.

Nonetheless, the venue was promoting their big NYE parties, early for families with kids and later for adults as well as take out and delivery.

Seeing the crowds at the bar, it’s no wonder I have lost track of the number of people I know who have tested positive with many of them hospitalized. Most hospitalized are stabilized and don’t require ICU. When discharged, so many, too many, take weeks to begin to feel normal. I am talking about 40-50 somethings, otherwise healthy people, some of whom are business owners.

Anyway, the whole deal of dining in, during soaring infection rates, made me uncomfortable. We will stick to curb side pick up where I can ignore there are likely sick people working in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies