Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 06:15 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This. Many Americans want the vaccine, but many Americans don't, including healthcare workers. We (healthcare workers) don't want the vaccine because it has not been on the market long enough yet. We don't even know a lot about the virus itself. We get constantly conflicting, contradictory information. We're not partisan idiots. COVID-19 is an extremely serious disease. But its severity doesn't magically make scientific research faster. It still takes time. Time we have not spent on research yet.
How long do you propose to wait? People are dying of COVID-19 now, lots of them. Is one year sufficient? Two? Five? Ten?

Tens of thousands of people were vaccinated during the trials, and now millions have been. The side effects showing up are the same as for other vaccines, mostly sore arms and rare allergic reactions. Have you seen any reports of reactions to the vaccine that are worse than COVID-19?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
This is a great post. The real elephant in the room is that we really don't have a comprehensive picture of COVID-19, and we won't until the pandemic is over. I believe that it's hard for the scientific community to admit how much they currently don't know, especially with how much public and academic pressure they are under, but the truth is that science is driving in the rear-view mirror right now. That goes for the vaccine as well.

This is why it rubs me the wrong way when people dogmatically tout 'SCIENCE!' and yet the study of COVID-19 (and the effects of the vaccine(s) is not far along enough yet to truly understand it.

There's a great conversation going on in the current events forum, on the Coronavirus Science thread. Some folks there brought up an excellent point: why are we not talking about vitamin D more often (I would add zinc and magnesium) as immune system boosters, especially when all of the above have been shown, in studies, to regulate the immune system and curb potentially fatal cytokine storms (which is one of the major complications of Covid-19)?

During the 1918 flu pandemic, outdoor ("open-air") hospitals had lower death rates and better patient outcome than indoor hospitals. I would argue that most of it had to do with increases in vitamin D levels and increased bioavailability of magnesium as a result, coupled with the natural disinfectant properties of sunlight. All of this was well understood long before COVID came along, why are these facts pushed to the back burner?
We cannot wait twenty years to be sure we know as much about the virus as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 06:20 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
They don't know what the hell they are doing? LOL We're DOOMED with COVID for at least 2 more years. Get ready for the "new Normal" The Summer months will be the only months things "settle down" a bit. Everyone is just winging it and hoping the sheep fall in line

Old 01-04-2021, 06:24 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How long do you propose to wait? People are dying of COVID-19 now, lots of them. Is one year sufficient? Two? Five? Ten?

Tens of thousands of people were vaccinated during the trials, and now millions have been. The side effects showing up are the same as for other vaccines, mostly sore arms and rare allergic reactions. Have you seen any reports of reactions to the vaccine that are worse than COVID-19?

We cannot wait twenty years to be sure we know as much about the virus as possible.
I’m in the one year camp.

Large scale trials started last summer, so we will have a year of safety data on a large enough population by late summer this year.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:09 PM

4,898 posts, read 3,357,694 times
Quote:
This is a great post. The real elephant in the room is that we really don't have a comprehensive picture of COVID-19, and we won't until the pandemic is over. I believe that it's hard for the scientific community to admit how much they currently don't know, especially with how much public and academic pressure they are under, but the truth is that science is driving in the rear-view mirror right now. That goes for the vaccine as well.

This is why it rubs me the wrong way when people dogmatically tout 'SCIENCE!' and yet the study of COVID-19 (and the effects of the vaccine(s) is not far along enough yet to truly understand it.

There's a great conversation going on in the current events forum, on the Coronavirus Science thread. Some folks there brought up an excellent point: why are we not talking about vitamin D more often (I would add zinc and magnesium) as immune system boosters, especially when all of the above have been shown, in studies, to regulate the immune system and curb potentially fatal cytokine storms (which is one of the major complications of Covid-19)?

During the 1918 flu pandemic, outdoor ("open-air") hospitals had lower death rates and better patient outcome than indoor hospitals. I would argue that most of it had to do with increases in vitamin D levels and increased bioavailability of magnesium as a result, coupled with the natural disinfectant properties of sunlight. All of this was well understood long before COVID came along, why are these facts pushed to the back burner?
That's easy, there's no money in it.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:15 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This. Many Americans want the vaccine, but many Americans don't, including healthcare workers. We (healthcare workers) don't want the vaccine because it has not been on the market long enough yet. We don't even know a lot about the virus itself. We get constantly conflicting, contradictory information. We're not partisan idiots. COVID-19 is an extremely serious disease. But its severity doesn't magically make scientific research faster. It still takes time. Time we have not spent on research yet.
I think therapeutics might be the answer to someone who catches covid. Thats the route I plan to take.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
They don't know what the hell they are doing? LOL We're DOOMED with COVID for at least 2 more years. Get ready for the "new Normal" The Summer months will be the only months things "settle down" a bit. Everyone is just winging it and hoping the sheep fall in line
This is true from day 1, and Fauci the leader doesn't know any more than 1000's of other viral experts out there...

Old 01-04-2021, 08:08 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I think therapeutics might be the answer to someone who catches covid. Thats the route I plan to take.
Likewise for me, and I won't "get it"..I take the preventions that Fauci and his "friends" don't tell us to take.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I think we will have enough doses. The weakness is having the personnel to administer the shots. Every CVS and Walgreens should be going 24/7 doing vaccinations. There should be a national effort to get everyone that wants a shot will be able to get it as soon as possible.
I have a very vague recall of getting a sugar cube doused with a liquid in a paper cup while in kindergarten iit was the polio vaccine. Kids lined up, got their cup and downed the contents.

As it relates to this vaccine, it is my understanding those inoculated have to respond to a series of questions about their general health and lifestyle and have an opportunity to ask questions. Once inoculated, people are observed for a period of time for potential reaction. And then they must retipurn for a second shot.

As of right now, neither the CVS or Walgreens in my zip code ( about 100 square miles) hasve any plans to test or offer the vaccine. A pharmacist or nurse practitioner typically administers the annual flu shot at CVS or Walgreens. This is not going to be adequate for a large scale vaccination initiative. Then there’s the matter of physical space limitations inside these stores.

I assume the process will be streamlined after tens of millions of shots are given and I am eligible. Thinking drive thrus and use of national guard.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 01-04-2021 at 08:38 PM..

Old 01-04-2021, 09:55 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Please see article below. I'm a bit flabbergasted, and I look forward to the comments of others. My sticking point here is the apparent misunderstanding of the term dose (whether on their part, or mine).

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...ed-half-453979
Prolly a dosey-dough kinda thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Sr...El-TyKkWKqcChT

Old 01-04-2021, 10:14 PM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Even effective if you have its dosage cut 100%. I had mine that way so I'm good to go. The Flying Spaghetti Covid Monster can't get me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies