Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 03:35 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
all the actors were in their 20's or 30's - they were playing High Schools students - I thought that was distracting.
also - Sandy is from Australia???
Yeah, Rizzo's character was ridiculously too old to be playing that part, Sonny too. I forget her name, great actress though.

Sandy, the actress, Newton-John couldn't do an American accent so they rewrote the part for her to be from Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 03:35 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Give me a freakin break. I started watching horror movies when I was about 12. Like people are going to be scarred after watching Grease?

Old 01-04-2021, 03:41 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
all the actors were in their 20's or 30's - they were playing High Schools students - I thought that was distracting.
also - Sandy is from Australia???
They worked the Sandy is an Aussie into the story line as her dads job transferred him to California and your right about the actors. Stockard Channing (Rizzo) was probally the oldest at 34, Olivia was 30 and John Travolta was 24. As someone who enjoyed the musical on Broadway the film was a major disappointment.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:47 PM

18,463 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
OK I read part of the article. 'It's too white'. I did notice that the last time I watched. I tried to find black students, and there were a few in the big scenes like the dance and the finale.

Come on, it was 1958. How many integrated schools were there?
Hell, my 1987 Suburban, NYC area high school wasn't any more integrated than that school.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:53 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Time to cancel "Boyz N the Hood".

Movie has no whites and no one other than blacks thus lack of diversity, the "N-word" said repeatedly, and degrades women constantly.

They play high school students, yet are in their 20's.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:18 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishGirl View Post
No. They sing them, doesn’t make it any better and the point is that they didn’t show the kid friendly version on Boxing Day at 5pm when families were watching it. We literally watched the film they referred to in that article that was on as scheduled. Boxing Day in the U.K. is still very much part of the Christmas holiday. Families watch tv, relax, and ‘eat, drink and be merry’. I even called my 14 year old down to watch it with me having no memory of that song. Which was the point of the article. We have OFCOM guidelines here, showing the film with that content violated them which is what lead to complaints, which is what lead to the Daily Mail creating a story about ‘woke’ people and cancel culture. Objecting to my 14 year old hearing John Travola singing about pu$$y wagons and chicks creaming at dinner time when a kid friendly version (if one exists) could be shown doesn’t make me one of the ‘woke snowflakes’. The BBC dropped the ball and deserved the backlash. It’s typical Daily Mail spin using a legitimate complaint system to rile up usual people, and judging from this post it’s working.
Uh, your kid is 14, they know what’s going on, they’re not stupid.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:41 PM

2,450 posts, read 972,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Because of the rape and sexism?
All of it. I hate all of it.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:42 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Remember that late 70's classic "Grease". It's next on the list for cancellation by those determined to be outraged.

"Grease is 'racist, rapey, homophobic and ****-shaming' and should never be shown on TV again"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nowflakes.html

I thought it was a lot of fun with some catchy tunes...
It is pretty dated. I’d be ok with deleting the offensive scenes. It is overly white, that’s for sure. Later live productions have been more inclusive, thankfully.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:43 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
It is pretty dated. I’d be ok with deleting the offensive scenes. It is overly white, that’s for sure. Later live productions have been more inclusive, thankfully.
Let's re-do 'It's a Wonderful Life' too. Let's re-do them all and portray something that wasn't reality back then.

The main character should be black, there need to be gender non-conforming characters and gay couples and and and.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:48 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishGirl View Post
Exactly. She’s 14, she may understand the words but she’s a child. What about the other millions of British kids watching it with their parents? “Mummy, what’s a pu$$y wagon?”
This is a non story here, the Daily Mail taking a few tweets and turning it into a story doesn’t make it one. Nobody is suggesting Grease is cancelled for goodness sake, a few kids on Twitter do not speak for the nation. Do I wish they hadn’t shown it? Of course not, it’s a classic. Do I wish they’d edited out the offensive language in that ONE song, absolutely and I make zero apology for that. This is a NON STORY, the Brits aren’t known for being easily offended with their TV, but pu$$ies, **** and creaming at 5pm? No thanks.
I likes me some of that British TV.

We've probably watched Grease a million times over the years. It's one of our silly fun types of movies that we have in our "favorites" library.

I do sort of cringe a bit at the one song, but whatever. I'm not too thin skinned but I can at least acknowledge that the movie might be a bit much for some parents to allow the kids to watch it. If they did show it at 5pm they probably should have just edited out parts of that scene or deleted the audio just to be on the safe side.

I wonder if it just somehow got missed by the people that do the programming for the BBC. I remember one time back in the late 70's early 80's on regular TV they sometimes would show the same movie a couple of times over the weekend. One time the had a full on shot of some woman's chest completely naked. I was probably 13 at time. I eagerly waited for the next showing , but someone must have complained because it was edited out the next showing of the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies