Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 04:48 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Let's re-do 'It's a Wonderful Life' too. Let's re-do them all and portray something that wasn't reality back then.

The main character should be black, there need to be gender non-conforming characters and gay couples and and and.
At least It’s a Wonderful Life had the black housekeeper who had a speaking role. That was actually progressive for it’s time. It wasn’t really until the 60s when Hollywood attempted to include blacks in speaking supportive roles who weren’t as subservient.
You would think that by the late 70s that we could have seen more ethnicities in these movies. Grease singled out “Eugene” the nerd as being gay in the movie. They could do without the Vince Fontaine dance announcement scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 04:51 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
At least It’s a Wonderful Life had the black housekeeper who had a speaking role. That was actually progressive for it’s time. It wasn’t really until the 60s when Hollywood attempted to include blacks in speaking supportive roles who weren’t as subservient.
You would think that by the late 70s that we could have seen more ethnicities in these movies. Grease singled out “Eugene” the nerd as being gay in the movie. They could do without the Vince Fontaine dance announcement scene.
Again, this was a Broadway musical, it didn't start off as a movie.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:08 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,781,479 times
You have adults playing high school students.
It’s got groove!
It’s got meaning!
What more could you want?

Old 01-04-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
You have adults playing high school students.
It’s got groove!
It’s got meaning!
What more could you want?
Grease is the way we are feeling............Grease is the time is the place is the motion.

It's ****ing AWESOME I LOVE IT. !

Old 01-04-2021, 05:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oKPYe53h78

Old 01-04-2021, 05:20 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Let's re-do 'It's a Wonderful Life' too. Let's re-do them all and portray something that wasn't reality back then.

The main character should be black, there need to be gender non-conforming characters and gay couples and and and.
Make Bert and Ernie gay, just like their Sesame Street counterparts? Maybe Dick “Rachel” Levine, tranny health secretary of PA can take time away to play the part of Mr. Potter. And Zulu can announce she’s really a boy?

Old 01-04-2021, 05:21 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
It is pretty dated. I’d be ok with deleting the offensive scenes. It is overly white, that’s for sure. Later live productions have been more inclusive, thankfully.
Parody? Nobody actually makes remarks like this with a straight face, do they?

Old 01-04-2021, 05:21 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,781,479 times
Olivia Newton John is a Pom.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Where was Grease supposed to insert a black character? The cafeteria lady? That would be.......I mean no one can please the cancel culture.

For 1958, an almost all white school was 100% reality. When I was looking for black characters, I was surprised to find any at all. They have them at the dance off and at the carnival at the end.

Any more than that would have been just strange.

Nothing was wrong with the musical and then the movie when it came back and we can't retro-actively judge things by today's standards.

It was very progressive for women.

The opening song talks about 'being who we are, forget conventionality'

They HAD a gay character. Of course an official would not allow that on their live TV broadcast, but there was a gay character.

The entire thing is progressive for the time anyway, and it was depicting 1958.

And guess what? It was for ENTERTAINMENT. It was not a documentary or a sociological study. It was GREAT.

The musical in theaters was great, and the movie version knocked it out of the park with the lead characters.

The pipes on those two!

Especially Olivia Newton John. And man, were they hot.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:10 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I find crap like this pretty unwatchable and offensive... I doubt any cares will be given to my offense. It matters who you offend, not whether it's offensive. You can offend christians and conservatives. (I'm not actually all that offended, I just find these raunchy movies more in bad taste and not funny)

https://screenrant.com/raunchy-comed...like-superbad/

It would be fascinating of the left suddenly went PC when it came to the over-sexualization of our culture. I might actually support that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies