Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 03:41 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times

Advertisements

JMO, with a $70 kindle one can find the answer within 2 minutes. If your 7 year old can't used a Kindle of like, they will be big trouble when they get older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 05:04 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
The part people are outraged about is that the father refused to give his 9 year old food for six hours while she tried to open a can. Saying food must be earned is a positive. Refusing to feed your child for six hours is the issue.
Human beings so ridiculously spoiled these days. 6 hours without food? I've done 96 hour water fasts before. People simply don't like to feel any discomfort at all anymore and that's why society has become so soft. Discomfort and hardship builds character and resilience. I do P90X Yoga X even though my brain absolutely doesn't want to do it because I've learned the benefits of regimented doses of discomfort for personal growth... not to mention flexibility. If I had kids I'd teach them this also. They get love, but they also get measured doses of character development and discomfort to keep them from getting spoiled.

I'm not going to debate this specific lesson. If a person doesn't have the hand strength to open a can they don't have the hand strength.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:06 PM

25,723 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
The part people are outraged about is that the father refused to give his 9 year old food for six hours while she tried to open a can. Saying food must be earned is a positive. Refusing to feed your child for six hours is the issue.
Oh my God. Six whole hours.

No wonder the nation is comprised of 90% fat-asses.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:24 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Oh my God. Six whole hours.

No wonder the nation is comprised of 90% fat-asses.
To be clear, you're claiming we are overweight because parents don't use the practice of forcing young children to unnecessarily go hungry as a teaching tool?

Old 01-05-2021, 05:33 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
To be clear, you're claiming we are overweight because parents don't use the practice of forcing young children to unnecessarily go hungry as a teaching tool?
No, we're saying the cultural norm of constant satiety has created a false impression in many people that always eating on a strict regimented schedule and never missing a meal is a necessary practice for health when it is not.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:38 PM

25,723 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
If a "young child" is "going hungry" after not having eaten for six whole hours, that's a societal problem, not a hunger problem. A normal child doing normal things having a normal lifestyle would frequently not eat for six hours or more. I recall leaving mommy's kitchen at like nine in the morning in the morning and being gone playing outside until at least four or five in the afternoon on the weekends. You honestly sat around eating all day when you were a kid?

Old 01-05-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No, we're saying the cultural norm of constant satiety has created a false impression in many people that always eating on a strict regimented schedule and never missing a meal is a necessary practice for health when it is not.
What does that have to do with this topic? This is about a specific case of a father withholding food from a nine year old.

If you want to discuss broader cultural norms, start a thread on that topic.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:41 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with this topic? This is about a specific case of a father withholding food from a nine year old.
It has everything to do with this topic.

You only seem outraged because you have a false perception imo that the child eating breakfast on time was a necessary occurrence for the child's health. It was not.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:43 PM

813 posts, read 600,907 times
I'm pretty sure my dog could figure out how to open a can of beans with a can opener in 6 hours (well, if he had thumbs). He's a smart rascal.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
If a "young child" is "going hungry" after not having eaten for six whole hours, that's a societal problem, not a hunger problem. A normal child doing normal things having a normal lifestyle would frequently not eat for six hours or more. I recall leaving mommy's kitchen at like nine in the morning in the morning and being gone playing outside until at least four or five in the afternoon on the weekends. You honestly sat around eating all day when you were a kid?
The child woke up, asked for breakfast and was told they wouldn't eat that day until they opened a can. Six hours after that they ate. Say they ate dinner at 6pm the night before and woke up at 7am. That means the father forced his nine year old child to go without food for 19 hours just to try to prove a point. That is poor parenting at best, abuse at worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies