Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 11:33 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,601,864 times

Advertisements

Read this article in the Atlantic or at least, scroll down to the last paragraph, which tells it like it is. The author proposes that these republicans be shunned from all public forums, for their acts of what can very well, be called sedition. The 140 representatives and about 10 in the Senate, have joined to try to draw out the last struggles of a tyrant, a little bit longer. They have disgraced themselves and should never be taken seriously again.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...reason/617538/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 06:11 AM

20,128 posts, read 16,186,419 times
Is that what happened with these 31 congresspersons in 2005?
  • Brown, Corrine
  • Carson
  • Clay
  • Clyburn
  • Conyers
  • Davis (IL)
  • Evans
  • Farr
  • Filner
  • Grijalva
  • Hastings (FL)
  • Hinchey
  • Jackson (IL)
  • Jackson-Lee (TX)
  • Johnson, E. B.
  • Jones (OH)
  • Kilpatrick (MI)
  • Kucinich
  • Lee
  • Lewis (GA)
  • Markey
  • McKinney
  • Olver
  • Owens
  • Pallone
  • Payne
  • Schakowsky
  • Thompson (MS)
  • Waters
  • Watson
  • Woolsey
Because they, along with Senator Barbara Boxer, did the same thing.

Quotes from the time:
Quote:
"Some may criticize our colleague from California for bringing us here for this brief debate. I thank her for doing that because it gives members an opportunity once again on a bipartisan basis to look at a challenge that we face not just in the last election in one State but in many States."
Senator Dick Durban, D-IL
Quote:
"I believe that Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Representative Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-OH) have performed a very valuable public service in bringing this debate before the Congress. As Americans, we should all be troubled by reports of voting problems in many parts of the country. I have been particularly concerned about the lack of a verifiable paper record in connection with electronic voting systems. I am proud to be a co-sponsor of legislation to solve that problem."
Sen. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-05-2021 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: Formatting

Old 01-05-2021, 06:16 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,395,312 times
Damn, it only took one post.

Thread ended.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:24 AM

9,480 posts, read 5,250,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
  • Brown, Corrine
  • Carson
  • Clay
  • Clyburn
  • Conyers
  • Davis (IL)
  • Evans
  • Farr
  • Filner
  • Grijalva
  • Hastings (FL)
  • Hinchey
  • Jackson (IL)
  • Jackson-Lee (TX)
  • Johnson, E. B.
  • Jones (OH)
  • Kilpatrick (MI)
  • Kucinich
  • Lee
  • Lewis (GA)
  • Markey
  • McKinney
  • Olver
  • Owens
  • Pallone
  • Payne
  • Schakowsky
  • Thompson (MS)
  • Waters
  • Watson
  • Woolsey

Quotes from the time:
Oh, one loves the equivalent of a forum comment smack down. Thank you!!!

Old 01-05-2021, 06:28 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,517,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
  • Brown, Corrine
  • Carson
  • Clay
  • Clyburn
  • Conyers
  • Davis (IL)
  • Evans
  • Farr
  • Filner
  • Grijalva
  • Hastings (FL)
  • Hinchey
  • Jackson (IL)
  • Jackson-Lee (TX)
  • Johnson, E. B.
  • Jones (OH)
  • Kilpatrick (MI)
  • Kucinich
  • Lee
  • Lewis (GA)
  • Markey
  • McKinney
  • Olver
  • Owens
  • Pallone
  • Payne
  • Schakowsky
  • Thompson (MS)
  • Waters
  • Watson
  • Woolsey

Quotes from the time:
My best guess is that OP is a young progressive who isn’t as well-versed on American political history as he thinks.

Excellent rebuttal, Hag. The facts make the case without uttering a single word.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:09 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,218,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Read this article in the Atlantic or at least, scroll down to the last paragraph, which tells it like it is. The author proposes that these republicans be shunned from all public forums, for their acts of what can very well, be called sedition. The 140 representatives and about 10 in the Senate, have joined to try to draw out the last struggles of a tyrant, a little bit longer. They have disgraced themselves and should never be taken seriously again.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...reason/617538/
I read that article in The Atlantic yesterday, I think it was, and sent it to people I know. I thought it was such a spectacular editorial. Lol, after reading the article, a friend of mine posted on his timeline stating that Trump should face the harshest penalties for treason and the poor guy got put into FB jail!!!

Old 01-05-2021, 12:13 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,585,648 times
The definition of treason focuses on a specific enemy, SEDITION is what we are seeing.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:21 PM

24,521 posts, read 17,277,292 times
Ah the good old days.. you know when someone could have their own opinion even if it was in opposition to the popular mantra. It was called debate, editorials, a reason to talk but still part as friends but today not so much.

It seems that if you speak out against the Lefty narrative they will attempt to crush you, shame you and destroy your life.

The elected that are opposing the stolen election are the brave ones yet History will cast them as cultish Trump sycophants. We are in for a world of trouble when half of the country doesn't even care to get to the bottom of the fraud but if all the back door dealings favored Trump America would literally be burning.

The powers that be investigated a rope on a NASCAR garage door more seriously than claims of fraud in the 2020 election. We are lost.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:27 PM

962 posts, read 541,984 times
How exactly is it a defense to say "the other side did it too"? It's not a defense. You're telling on yourselves. It's quite the false equivalency, however.

Also, if you read the article, you'd know that, at the times of these objections, Kerry had long since conceded. Clinton too, of course. When someone tried this nonsense in 2017, the Vice President presiding over the roll call said "It is over".

That was Biden putting an end to the objection in 2017, btw.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:31 PM

6,149 posts, read 3,372,943 times
The entire left has been practicing sedition for the last 4 years. So now, all of a sudden, sedition is wrong?

God, I hate Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies