Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 03:46 AM

634 posts, read 326,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
There's already two threads about this madness.
But people aren't angry enough yet!!!

Is this thread an example of the "outrage culture" that I'm always hearing about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 03:52 AM

18,450 posts, read 7,077,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
When I first heard about it my first assumption was that it was a lighthearted thing said in jest and not serious. Looking up his response as to why he said it, that seems to be the case; that it was a "light-hearted pun" made in recognition of the record-number of women who had been elected. So I don't know that I really think it's a big deal.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Then again, I don't go around looking to be offended by everything though, so maybe that is why it would seem like a non-issue to me.

It's not about being offended.

It's just stupid.

As in, if you think "Amen" should be followed by "A-Woman" just to give "equality" equal time...

You are A-Moron.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:05 AM

9,964 posts, read 5,662,928 times
Quote:
When I first heard about it my first assumption was that it was a lighthearted thing said in jest and not serious. Looking up his response as to why he said it, that seems to be the case; that it was a "light-hearted pun" made in recognition of the record-number of women who had been elected. So I don't know that I really think it's a big deal.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Then again, I don't go around looking to be offended by everything though, so maybe that is why it would seem like a non-issue to me.
Right, because if there's ever a time to be jocularly trivial about spirituality, it's during a national prayer in the halls of Congress.

Unfortunately, those who push this kind of crazy kook ideology count on people who think it's a non-issue to shrug their shoulders while the kooks persist until we can't just shrug our shoulders at them them any more. This kind of insanity used to be easy to write off as the product of kook fringe ideologues. I used to do it too -- let's face it, most sane people did -- because we mistook earnest fringe activism as dismissible self-satire.

But the self-satirizing kooks have since grabbed the reins of power, and we can't afford to underestimate their commitment to kook fringe ideas any more. You can waive it off as being "said in jest and not serious," but it was uttered in all seriousness. This wasn't a comedy roast, it was a prayer to open the current session of the United States Congress. Your church may not adopt "a-women" as an incantation any time soon, but don't underestimate the significance behind its utterance before a body of people who have power over you.

Last edited by Bitey; 01-05-2021 at 05:20 AM..

Old 01-05-2021, 04:16 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,438,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Amen has nothing to do with gender, the meaning “so be it’”.

https://michaelallenonline.com/amen-...-what-he-said/
Here is my thoughts on this. I listened to the whole prayer segment. And one of the things I listened for is the domination of the church. Yes in America you have work churches who do LGBT, have female priest and so forth. You see this stuff in episcopalian churches, church of England and methodist churches. The priest who did this sermon on the floor of congress is a methodist which is known for having LGBT priest and women priest. You won't find this stuff in Roman catholic and Greek othrodox churches which are still based on ancient patriarchal European model. Protestant churches are weird. Sadly America is a protestant nation and much of this woke stuff we see comes from protestant culture.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Here is my thoughts on this. I listened to the whole prayer segment. And one of the things I listened for is the domination of the church. Yes in America you have work churches who do LGBT, have female priest and so forth. You see this stuff in episcopalian churches, church of England and methodist churches. The priest who did this sermon on the floor of congress is a methodist which is known for having LGBT priest and women priest. You won't find this stuff in Roman catholic and Greek othrodox churches which are still based on ancient patriarchal European model. Protestant churches are weird. Sadly America is a protestant nation and much of this woke stuff we see comes from protestant culture.
What “woke stuff?”

Old 01-05-2021, 04:59 AM

33,539 posts, read 18,133,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The man has a myntal problem.
And they call Trump nuts??? That is the real joke!

Old 01-05-2021, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It's not about being offended.

It's just stupid.

As in, if you think "Amen" should be followed by "A-Woman" just to give "equality" equal time...

You are A-Moron.
I don’t see anywhere that says that’s what Emmanuel Cleaver or anyone else thinks, so I’m not sure who the morons are supposed to be.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:26 AM

2,828 posts, read 823,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Amen has nothing to do with gender, the meaning “so be it’”.

https://michaelallenonline.com/amen-...-what-he-said/
I agree, these horses azzez have lost it.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:45 AM

3,213 posts, read 1,599,708 times
Just a-men and a-woman??? What about all of the other genders?

Old 01-05-2021, 05:56 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,750,774 times
Quote:
When I first heard about it my first assumption was that it was a lighthearted thing said in jest and not serious. Looking up his response as to why he said it, that seems to be the case; that it was a "light-hearted pun" made in recognition of the record-number of women who had been elected.
If it was a joke, it was the worst delivery ever. And as others have noted, a joke would have been totally inappropriate anyway in that situation. No, I'm betting that he added the "awoman" as a shout out to the ladies. Maybe something he used to do in his old church and thought the people in Congress would also appreciate it. The man likely is, or was, oblivious to the actual meaning of "amen". despite his theological training.

Quote:
So I don't know that I really think it's a big deal.
It's only a big deal in the sense of... Wow, this goofy guy is really a U.S. Congressman? But it's hardly the first time we've seen something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies