Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 10:14 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
We don't need to target the Gohmert style Republican to siphon White votes. Moderate Republicans who thought we didn't need the Trump tax cuts, who don't think "globalism" is a sin, who don't want Obamacare repealed are ripe for the picking.

That's not even including the traditional blue collar worker who wants OT pay and min wage increase.

If the GOP runs out of touch, pro-rich elitist like they did in GA, there's a lot Republicans who can be picked off.
So, again, what makes these "moderate" Republicans in Georgia so different from moderate Republicans in Mississippi, South Carolina and Louisiana who have not been flipping? Perhaps what you write is true, but I'm not buying it. From where I stand, it's much more plausable to me that an increasing number of liberal black (especially black) and white transplants are to thank for this trend.

See the blurb below:

Quote:
Atlanta, host of the fifth Democratic debate, is a rapidly growing example of what is becoming a trend among the South: the “great reverse migration.”

In the midst of this change, statewide Democrats saw unprecedented success in the 2018 midterms, flipping fourteen state legislative seats in the House and two in the Senate.

Part of that success, experts say, can be credited to the growth of the black voting-age population in Atlanta and the surrounding suburbs.

Data compiled by Stateline, an initiative of The Pew Charitable Trusts, of 2018 census population estimates, shows that seven of the 10 counties with the fastest-growing black population are near Atlanta. In the last decade, the region has seen a 14 percent increase in black voting-age residents, compared with a three percent rise for white residents, according to research compiled by William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution, from the Current Population Survey.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/atla...ry?id=67106895

Somewhat anecdotal, but I have known several black families who moved to Atlanta from my hometown of Brooklyn in the last few years alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 10:28 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
So, again, what makes these "moderate" Republicans in Georgia so different from moderate Republicans in Mississippi, South Carolina and Louisiana who have not been flipping? Perhaps what you write is true, but I'm not buying it. From where I stand, it's much more plausable to me that an increasing number of liberal black (especially black) and white transplants are to thank for this trend.

See the blurb below:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/atla...ry?id=67106895

Somewhat anecdotal, but I have known several black families who moved to Atlanta from my hometown of Brooklyn in the last few years alone.
I'd look to NC to see how the uptick in moderate White voters + Black voters changes the electorate.

Or if you want to go back further, MD.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:29 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
GA flipped bc of mass Black voter mobilization. Guess what other states have similar turnout and population mixes? Yep. Republicans could have spent the last 10 years trying to make inroads into the Black community. Instead they targeted Black voters to disenfranchise bc eff them, right?

Stacey Abrams has laid out a blueprint for mobilizing underrepresented groups that can be replicated in other states. That means more districts in play for House races. More states in play for Senate races. More electoral votes up for grabs in Presidential elections. Nice.

And the best part? The GOP is so stubborn and corrupt that even knowing this, y'all aren't going to do anything to head it off. You're going to keep trying to claim Black voters are fraud voters. You're going to keep saying Black turnout is actually "dead voters." You'll do whatever it takes to ignore Black voters and in the process seal your own fate as a 2nd tier regional power. And I can't wait.

Trump ruining the brand is definitely a bonus, but the comeuppance for the GOP hostility to Black voters is the real prize!
EVERY state is in play for the democrats when you cheat in the elections.

If the current coup is allowed to stand, there will never be any public office of any consequence that goes to anyone but a RINO, democrat, or communist.

Time for free states to start leaving the Union.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I'd look to NC to see how the uptick in moderate White voters + Black voters changes the electorate.

Or if you want to go back further, MD.
That would be an interesting case study, though even there I wonder how much of that shift would be due to moderate Republicans flipping vs. more white and black liberals moving into the state, especially as tech and other industries have boomed in NC over the years.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:35 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Georgia flipped because of a ballot harvesting scheme. Not actual turnout.
Can you give me the index number of the legal case that showed that? Thanks.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:39 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
See, I hear talking points to that effect, but haven't seen hard evidence to support it. Perdue is still a moderate Republican, as is Loeffler, especially as far as Georgia goes.

But we don't even see moderate suburban whites flipping in these other states, which again begs the question for me of--if this theory is accurate--why is the same thing not happening in other parts of the Deep South? Are moderate, suburban whites so different in Georgia than they are in Louisiana, South Carolina, and Mississippi? Republicans did not struggle in the suburbs everywhere.

Note, there is also the point that Georgia--since the Republicans started to take control at the state level for the first time since Reconstruction in the early 2000s (the way you hear some talk about things, you'd think that Georgia has been a GOP stronghold for many, many decades), statewide elections in Georgia with a few exceptions have generally been fairly close. Note, Georgia elected it's first GOP governor in over 130 years in only in 2002. And while former Senator Johnny Ikason had decently comfortable victories, the same cannot generally be said for other Republicans running for statewide election in Georgia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi...ia_(U.S._state)

Hell, even John McCain only won 52% of the presidential election vote in Georgia, while Romney won 53% of the vote. Again, Republicans have generally not been winning blowout elections in Georgia, especially once the share of the black vote has increased overtime.
I believe they are. Which of these states has a major city whose dynamism and appeal to incoming business emigration is comparable to Atlanta's?

South Carolina has a couple of cities I could see booming the way Atlanta has, but they are sure not there yet.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:15 AM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Did these states recently sign a contract with Dominion Voting?

Old 01-06-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I believe they are. Which of these states has a major city whose dynamism and appeal to incoming business emigration is comparable to Atlanta's?

South Carolina has a couple of cities I could see booming the way Atlanta has, but they are sure not there yet.
That's true, but what you write goes to my point. I argue that these aren't moderate Republicans changing, but rather an influx of liberal whites who are coming to the area due to these increasing business opportunities.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:36 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
I wish.. unfortunately people aren’t flocking to Columbia and Birmingham like they have been to Atlanta for the past 25 years.

The blueprint is there but it will take time.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:07 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
I remember when ballot harvesting was an illegal act. Democrats do it, nothing to see here. Watch how fast they cry of Republicans play the same game next cycle.
They did when the Republican did it in North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies