Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 05:27 AM

78,318 posts, read 60,504,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
We can't win any wars. Look at Bush 1 and 2's 3 failed wars.
You either are very young or have alzheimers if you cannot recall the war under Bush 1 which was a rousing success.

If you're confused, go find a Kuwaiti forum and tell them your views. Be warned, you're going to get trashed by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 05:59 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,558,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I used to think the US had tremendous military strength, bases everywhere across the world, incredible technology and general competence. I figured it would easily defeat the Chinese whose government relies on oppression, censorship, coercion, and technology theft.

But seeing how our government at all levels has (mis)handled the coronavirus pandemic, the BLM protests, the general divisions at all levels of our society, and now today's spectacle, I honestly don't think we can win a war against China if it were to happen this year much less 10 years from now. At least not a conventional one.

China has 4 times our population and massive industrial capacity (the first point makes it unique from all our previous wars). Their population has incredible unity compared to our state of disunion. All the prognostications of China's eminent collapse haven't panned out for 2 decades now. They are as strong and as rich as ever. Covid has against all odds made them even stronger. They passed their stress test. We have failed ours.

This was my most poignant epiphany while watching the protestors today in Capitol Hill.
China keeps its citizens in line because China is a communist country and a dictatorship. Unless that is what you want here. Now we are to admire China's violence on its citizens?

Old 01-07-2021, 06:14 AM

29,423 posts, read 14,612,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I used to think the US had tremendous military strength, bases everywhere across the world, incredible technology and general competence. I figured it would easily defeat the Chinese whose government relies on oppression, censorship, coercion, and technology theft.

But seeing how our government at all levels has (mis)handled the coronavirus pandemic, the BLM protests, the general divisions at all levels of our society, and now today's spectacle, I honestly don't think we can win a war against China if it were to happen this year much less 10 years from now. At least not a conventional one.

China has 4 times our population and massive industrial capacity (the first point makes it unique from all our previous wars). Their population has incredible unity compared to our state of disunion. All the prognostications of China's eminent collapse haven't panned out for 2 decades now. They are as strong and as rich as ever. Covid has against all odds made them even stronger. They passed their stress test. We have failed ours.

This was my most poignant epiphany while watching the protestors today in Capitol Hill.
Wait, you don't think we can beat them with our "service based" industry ?!

Old 01-07-2021, 06:22 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,964,278 times
China doesn't have to strike us.. They simply wait until we're most vulnerable... Like a year requiring $5.5T in incremental treasuries being issued to support deficit spending. They wait until we really need it then they dump all their US treasury holdings and dollar denominated assets at the same time.

The US will be forced to print money to satisfy it's deficit spending and not defaulting on debt. The debt gets downgraded thus interest rates go up and we see significant market crashes / stagflation. Based upon our total national debt and the infestation of credit in almost all markets you will see the entire economy grind to a halt and be purely cash basis.

This all will happen at our own hands and not a single bomb needs be dropped nor bullet needs be fired.

Old 01-07-2021, 06:27 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,719,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
Most likely sea and air, and, island territories. The Chinese will move to take over the islands of Hawaii by force and move towards Northern California and Washinton state next. The latter being the shipping lanes they will need to control commerce and supplys.
Logistically improbably. Near impossible without nukes....

Allow me.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBYxXSUDV8o

Old 01-07-2021, 03:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,546 posts, read 81,045,934 times
I would agree completely if a war against China was fought using the Capitol Police, along with the D.C. police, and late arriving National Guard.

Fortunately we have the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines for that.

Old 01-07-2021, 05:03 PM

30,388 posts, read 21,203,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
There would be no war with China because it would be in neither nation's best interests. For one thing, that kind of a war could become nuclear. No one wants to see that anywhere in the world. That's a big reason the USA and the USSR never engaged in a hot war.

China and it's people certainly wouldn't want that type of war. So many families only have one child, and they would not want to risk losing their one and only child for little/no gain. China's prosperity over the past few decades has also been largely a result of their trade with the USA. Why would they want to destroy their largest trading partner? Most people in China would rather see smoother ties with the USA, not a war.

As for the USA, too much manufacturing has been bled out of the country. The logistics of fighting a conventional war with a large nation with a much larger population would be challenging, to say the least. I don't think such a war would be supported by the people of this nation either. Most people don't hate China, though some hate their system of government, communism, etc. But China is a country on the other side of the globe. It's not our problem, and shouldn't be our concern. USA is far better served worrying about and fixing our problems over here.

I certainly wouldn't say the USA couldn't win though. But what would have to be done to win such a war would be ugly and undesirable for the world, including the USA and it's population.

We had no problem winning. It's the occupation and long term costs of these wars that's the problem.
We never won a thing. Broke two countries and not one drop of oil and had to pay to and try fix them.

Old 01-07-2021, 05:05 PM

30,388 posts, read 21,203,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Logistically improbably. Near impossible without nukes....

Allow me.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBYxXSUDV8o
Nukes will be used duke as the end is near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies