Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2021, 08:53 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I am not suggesting that. I am merely suggesting that she freely put her own life in danger by taking part in an insurrection that was attempting a coup.
Prove to me she was part of an insurrection which was attempting a coup.

Had she not broke the law, she wouldn't be dead. But to pretend that her death was justified because "she had poor judgement" is disgusting.

Would you have shot her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CtKM9ZAFcM

Old 01-07-2021, 08:54 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How do you bridge the divide between people living in reality and those living in a fantasy land?
I'm not sure what the answer to that is, but I'd start by trying to find the shreds of truth in all of the crazy and work from there. To begin with, it's obvious that there's a large (and growing) wealth divide in this country and huge swaths of the nation (particularly rural areas) don't have access to the same job opportunities that people in larger metro areas have. You can roll your eyes at the "CoAsTal ElIte, SOROS, QAnaon!" rhetoric and still see that there are major issues with inequity and a good chunk of the country is feeling that (the demographic breakdown of election results show it).

We can also probably all acknowledge that there are serious issues with deadlock and dysfunction in Congress have lead to historic disapproval ratings. This dysfunction impacts many Americans more than others. Combined with the inequity above, it's fairly easy to see why there's a big chunk of the population who feels like the government isn't working for them. The conspiracy theories are absolutely nuts and it's certainly not OK for what happened yesterday to happen, but it's not wrong for someone who lives in, say, rural West Virginia to feel that they aren't supported by the Government.

I'm a left leaning guy with a pretty comfortable job in a metro area that provides a ton of job opportunity, and while I think a lot of what gets pumped out there by the President and his followers is insane (and self-serving for Trump), I'm fully aware that it wouldn't resonate the way it does if there weren't very real factors driving people to latch onto it.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:57 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
He wasn't wearing a police uniform.
I think he was secret service.
Capitol Police have hundreds of plain clothes officers. 1600 officers on that force, they have federal jurisdiction and travel all over the US protecting Congress people when they travel and have officers assigned to leadership's homes 24/7.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:57 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
As a country we looked incredibly weak and vulnerable in the eyes of the world yesterday. Either our security is such a joke that thugs with MAGA gear are allowed to waltz right in the front door and cause havoc, or there was some complicity with LE going on.

Either way, this is a scary and dangerous image to present to the world. We looked pathetic.
To all the non-Americans I talked to yesterday (lots, I'm not American), this is one thing we all agreed on. The US looks nuts right now. And not in a good way.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:00 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
I watched multiple videos of the woman getting shot inside the Capitol building. She was unarmed, she was not attacking anyone, so why was she shot? The officer who shot her could have easily detained and arrested her instead of shooting her to death.

Ashli Babbitt, the woman who was murdered by the officer in cold blood, was a military veteran from San Diego.

A couple of broken windows does not warrant shooting someone to death.
The videos were very sad, and watching the poor woman dying was tragic.

If the police and security had sealed off capital hill properly in the first place, then none of this would have happened.

Everyone knew of the potential for trouble at Congress on the 6th January, yet the authorities failed to prepare properly.

How security failures enabled Trump mob to storm U.S. Capitol - Reuters

Old 01-07-2021, 09:01 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
To all the non-Americans I talked to yesterday (lots, I'm not American), this is one thing we all agreed on. The US looks nuts right now. And not in a good way.
I don't know where you're from, but I can almost guarantee I don't like your country either. Thanks for your opinion though, I'll put it with the others.

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
I watched multiple videos of the woman getting shot inside the Capitol building. She was unarmed, she was not attacking anyone, so why was she shot? The officer who shot her could have easily detained and arrested her instead of shooting her to death.

Ashli Babbitt, the woman who was murdered by the officer in cold blood, was a military veteran from San Diego.

A couple of broken windows does not warrant shooting someone to death.
She was entering a broken window (that her group broke) to the side of barricaded doors, to enter a hallway where police were present at the end of that hallway, obviously armed, and obviously not wanting them to enter that hallway - as the police behind them had tried to stop them from doing so.

What or who was down that hallway?

How do the cops know that she is unarmed? They don't have ESP, they have no idea. All they see is that they have barricaded a door, retreated to the end of the hallway, police on the other side of that barricaded door tried to stop them from breaking into that hallway, and she went ahead and started to climb through a window that they broke, to enter said hallway.

Politicians have tight security. If you're not going to go in with intent to fight your way through it, armed, then you're a complete idiot for trying to fight your way in there completely unarmed. They are going to shoot at whatever they perceive as a threat to those politicians.

Did she forget where she was?

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Prove to me she was part of an insurrection which was attempting a coup.

Had she not broke the law, she wouldn't be dead. But to pretend that her death was justified because "she had poor judgement" is disgusting.

Would you have shot her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CtKM9ZAFcM
she was committing a felony and should be shot dead. Break into a nearby police station and see what happens to you --- this was the US Capitol.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:02 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yes, I did what it takes to get him out of office. I voted. Just like millions of others did. Just because some don't like the outcome of the election doesn't mean that it was not a legitimate election.
You're right. I mean I guess we could just spend the next four years crying about collusion and trying to impeach Biden every three months but we'll probably just go on with our lives.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:04 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Pretty sure she and her husband operate a business in San Diego and she flew into Washington DC. Not sure wtf you're talking about.

She didn't attack a government official. Stop lying.

If they had wanted to kill people, they would have killed people. Other than pushing through the barriers, there was no violence. It seems like the only thing they intended to do was stop the electoral vote count, afterwards they left and went home.

Reading these forums reminds me of why I hate this country. I wish my state would secede or something, because I'm sick of having to share a country with people like you.
Yes you do hate this country that is the difference between you and me
You hate -I love
Being unarmed does not absolve you of a crime if you are part of a robbery - same here -
Yes her group -With crow bars -Smashed windows and They broke through additional inside barriers -to say it was not armed forced entry and there was no threat -is completely false -cops did what any home owner would have done-protect those inside-
If what I saw last night was not an attack- then we are seeing the same event but have radically different perceptions -calling the millions that saw this on national tv liars changes nothing-
Where was your moral outrage a few months ago when the mob attacked the White House and dozens of secret service were injured
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies