Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 06:03 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
And even the "far left" as a bogeyman won't necessarily have the same bite to the large number of center-leaning conservatives who were appalled at the optics of a mix of wannabe guerillas and costumed buffoons storming and trashing the captiol, at the encouragement of Trump and with the apparent aid of some members of the capitol police. The far left is overall largely unable to get anything close to a foothold in conservative areas and the few attempts at rioting or protesting in their communities were pushed back pretty handily, however, the far right has now shown itself to be a more insidious and immediate danger to our overall way of life.
Just shown itself? The far-Right has ALWAYS been the greatest danger to American democracy. There has never been much of a threat from the Left, the whole country including the Democrats have moved relentlessly to the Right for decades. No surprise to anyone that has been paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 06:20 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Three parties. Democrats will stay pretty much as they are, Republicans will retain the moderates and traditional conservatives and centrists. The Trumpists and every variant of far-Right whack will join the New American Fascist Party (pick your own name for them). Estimate about 25% of the Republicans going to this new party.

Trumpists really won't have a choice - the only way they will ever get another candidate like DJT nominated will be with their own party. Republicans will never nominate another Trump. My plan is to register as a Republican next time to help make sure. Plenty of other centrists will be doing the same.
Fortunately in my state, those of us who area Unaffiliated can vote in either primary. I voted in the 2016 primary with a Republican ballot, and in the 2020 primary with a Democratic ballot. The first was mostly in an effort to avoid a Trump nomination/presidency....the latter was fully in effort to end Trump presidency.

Old 01-07-2021, 06:21 PM

26,574 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
If the brainwashed trumpism wasn't so fervently a part of their self-identity at this point... I'd expect that Alex Jones crowd's next conspiracy theory would be that Trump was a "long-game Democratic plant" to destroy the Republican Party and give Democrats a long period of being THE dominant party in US politics.

BUT...that crowd is sooooo intrenched in their idolization of the man himself....that I don't think even the pull of a deeper-deepstate than previously imagined could make them question the motives of their Dear Leader.
that theory was floated here on this forum in 2016 when it looked like hillary would win but...... i agree, today the personality is too firmly attached to MAGA.

Old 01-07-2021, 06:25 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Will people like me rejoin you mean? It is really hard to predict that. I hope so...but listening to Gaetz and Hawley last night make me doubtful that its where I will ever belong again.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:58 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
If the brainwashed trumpism wasn't so fervently a part of their self-identity at this point... I'd expect that Alex Jones crowd's next conspiracy theory would be that Trump was a "long-game Democratic plant" to destroy the Republican Party and give Democrats a long period of being THE dominant party in US politics.

BUT...that crowd is sooooo intrenched in their idolization of the man himself....that I don't think even the pull of a deeper-deepstate than previously imagined could make them question the motives of their Dear Leader.

In the beginning, in 2016 Trump represented something that we all wanted.

We all wanted (and still want) an outsider, a non-establishment candidate.

We all wanted someone with fresh ideas, someone that could represent ALL Americans.

Trump has no ideals, Trump could have have become ANYTHING that he wanted to become. He ran as a R and stayed R, and move to the extreme side of the R party. Trump is not a conservative, why he chose to cling to the hard line conservatives is beyond reason. I guess they worshiped him to the extent that he actually believed that conservatives actually like him. He used them and they used him, but he could have used both parties.

He should have moved to the middle and nominated a moderate SCOTUS. He could have worked with the D's to pass legislation that was beneficial to him. His base loves him, he could have moved the to middle and significantly expanded his base. He played his cards wrong, he could have legitimately won this election by a huge margin.

Unfortunately his EGO got in the way which prevented him from achieving anything other that mediocrity. Too bad, he truly missed an opportunity for greatness.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:03 PM

298 posts, read 116,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Romney is a non-person to the Republican Party. All the never-Trumpers are non-persons.

He voted for impeachment. Sasse also has no national future, but he seems to be fine in Nebraska.

We aren't going to vote for people who sided with the Democrats. The Democrats made Tulsi a non-person simply because she insulted and exposed how worthless Harris is. We certainly aren't going to turn to somebody who ran a miserable campaign in 2012, insulted 47% of the country (his version of deplorables in 2012) and who participated in a seditious coup attempt simply because our President has a nasty personality.
Tell that to Perdue and Loeffler, the former senators of Georgia.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:02 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
In the beginning, in 2016 Trump represented something that we all wanted.

Trump has no ideals, Trump could have have become ANYTHING that he wanted to become. He ran as a R and stayed R, and move to the extreme side of the R party. Trump is not a conservative, why he chose to cling to the hard line conservatives is beyond reason. I guess they worshiped him to the extent that he actually believed that conservatives actually like him. He used them and they used him, but he could have used both parties.
Trump's allies in this attack on the Capitol and our Republic are not hard line Republican conservatives. They are anarchists and domestic terrorists, pure and simple.

There is no doubt in anyone's mind that this well organized gathering of the Neo-fascist Right, from radical Militias to Wolverine Watchmen to Klansmen to QAnon whackjobs, was planned long ago - likely in Dark Web war rooms, "just in case" Trump lost.

The Republican party was hijacked by Trump in 2016, and with the help of Steve Bannon and many other powerful and intelligent leaders of the alt-Right worked for 4 years to set the stage for this attack or something like it.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the GOP/Republican party which is based on sound principles of morality, fiscal conservatism, and national security through strong bonds with our Allies.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:13 AM

1,839 posts, read 677,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Romney is a non-person to the Republican Party. All the never-Trumpers are non-persons.

He voted for impeachment. Sasse also has no national future, but he seems to be fine in Nebraska.

We aren't going to vote for people who sided with the Democrats. The Democrats made Tulsi a non-person simply because she insulted and exposed how worthless Harris is. We certainly aren't going to turn to somebody who ran a miserable campaign in 2012, insulted 47% of the country (his version of deplorables in 2012) and who participated in a seditious coup attempt simply because our President has a nasty personality.
I didn't factor Tulsi into the future of the GOP, but you know that Tulsi was for Medicare For All?

Now that'd be a political twist if a new GOP is built that embraces Medicare For All as a way to rebuild their party, while Biden holds onto Obamacare.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:57 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandee38 View Post
I will take years for the GOP to recover. The only thing they got going for them is the Far left. But they need to get more moderate and sane voters for trump on board that accepted the loss. Also run from Trump with their hair on fire.
Trump was actually extremely moderate in terms of policy. It was just his personality that was shocking.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:35 AM

853 posts, read 337,201 times
The problem the Republicans have is that the Trump wing is too extreme to win national elections or elections outside of the right wing areas but if Trump true believers stay home the rest of the Republican party also isn't big enough to win elections. No matter who wins the Republican civil war the party is broken. Their best hope is that a Republican split will make the left feel comfortable leaving the Democrats and we end up with a four party system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies