Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 01:44 PM

423 posts, read 186,607 times

Advertisements

The usual response from Americans to King Dorsey's and King Zuckerberg's one-sided outrageous censorship is that they are private companies. 'If you don't like their rules, make your own social media company'.

Well, what if I made a company, open up a restaurant and decide to not serve food for overweight people because I'm a highly virtous guy and I care so much about my fellow citizens health?

What if I decide to not serve Southern dishes to black people because science says that fried food kills African Americans at a disproportionately high rate?

SOURCE: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/southern-cooking-may-be-killing-african-americans-study-finds-n915846

My restaurant would be burned down of course, my company would be sued to death, human right organizations would loudly protest, I would go bankrupt and both my career and my private life would be destroyed forever. On the other hand King Dorsey and King Zuckerberg can easily hire the best lawyers and can easily pay any amount of penalties for continously violating anti-trust laws, etc.

They can do that because they are global social media monopolies. Look at India or Africa where Zuckerberg, out of pure philantrophy of course, launched the free internet project "Internet.org" with the humanitarian intention to open up the web to poor third-world population. There's only one small restriction: only Facebook can be reached freely, every other website is behind paywall. For these people the Internet is Facebook.

https://trak.in/tags/business/2015/0...et-neutrality/

Here in Europe, Facebook is pre-installed on every smartphone. Most of the older generation in Eastern Europe only recently learned how to use a computer or a smartphone. For them Facebook is the Internet. It's the only tool for them to keep in touch with their children and grand children - especially these days in the pandemic when Europe is on lockdown.
It's easy to say to make your own social media platform when billions of people have already adapted to exclusively use Facebook to chat with friends, relatives and get their daily news coverage through it.

FB and Twitter has been promoting bipartisanship and anti-censorship since the get go - it's absolutely nefarious that now when billions have already accustomed to these platforms globally, they start to promote agendas all of a sudden.

I don't understand Americans why they defend and vindicate the actions of these multi-billionare tech giant monopolies so vehemently... just because they censor a group of people that another group currently hates... What happens when you will be the group that Dorsey and Zuckerberg decides to shut up?

Like it or not, 74 million people in America feel like they have been cheated. Do you think it's healthy and helpful to ridicule them and shut their mouths? Did the media censor Bush when he sent Americans to Iraq with the fake WMD story which caused 150.000 casualties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 01:46 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternman View Post
The usual response from Americans to King Dorsey's and King Zuckerberg's one-sided outrageous censorship is that they are private companies. 'If you don't like their rules, make your own social media company'.

Well, what if I made a company, open up a restaurant and decide to not serve food for overweight people because I'm a highly virtous guy and I care so much about my fellow citizens health?

What if I decide to not serve Southern dishes to black people because science says that fried food kills African Americans at a disproportionately high rate?

SOURCE: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/southern-cooking-may-be-killing-african-americans-study-finds-n915846

My restaurant would be burned down of course, my company would be sued to death, human right organizations would loudly protest, I would go bankrupt and both my career and my private life would be destroyed forever. On the other hand King Dorsey and King Zuckerberg can easily hire the best lawyers and can easily pay any amount of penalties for continously violating anti-trust laws, etc.

They can do that because they are global social media monopolies. Look at India or Africa where Zuckerberg, out of pure philantrophy of course, launched the free internet project "Internet.org" with the humanitarian intention to open up the web to poor third-world population. There's only one small restriction: only Facebook can be reached freely, every other website is behind paywall. For these people the Internet is Facebook.

https://trak.in/tags/business/2015/0...et-neutrality/

Here in Europe, Facebook is pre-installed on every smartphone. Most of the older generation in Eastern Europe only recently learned how to use a computer or a smartphone. For them Facebook is the Internet. It's the only tool for them to keep in touch with their children and grand children - especially these days in the pandemic when Europe is on lockdown.
It's easy to say to make your own social media platform when billions of people have already adapted to exclusively use Facebook to chat with friends, relatives and get their daily news coverage through it.

FB and Twitter has been promoting bipartisanship and anti-censorship since the get go - it's absolutely nefarious that now when billions have already accustomed to these platforms globally, they start to promote agendas all of a sudden.

I don't understand Americans why they defend and vindicate the actions of these multi-billionare tech giant monopolies so vehemently... just because they censor a group of people that another group currently hates... What happens when you will be the group that Dorsey and Zuckerberg decides to shut up?

Like it or not, 74 million people in America feel like they have been cheated. Do you think it's healthy and helpful to ridicule them and shut their mouths? Did the media censor Bush when he sent Americans to Iraq with the fake WMD story which caused 150.000 casualties?
It's a great post but I will warn you - and you probably already have figured it out being that you voted for Trump --- the left doesn't care aout logic, reasoning, or fair play. The don't negotiate, they don't meet our side half way. They care about one thing: Power.

Old 01-07-2021, 01:48 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
I’d like more information about the $500 million Zuck poured into blue areas, and his reimbursement from China.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:58 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
These social media companies wield far too much power.

To censor and silence a SITTING PRESIDENT*?!

Just absolutely crazy that such a thing could happen in the US.

How can be people say we live in a fair and free society when we have these big tech companies censoring not only political discourse but also "politically incorrect" views on COVID19, vaccines, immigration, etc.

Old 01-07-2021, 03:02 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Let competition arise to take their place. If enough of the silent majority are kicked off they will pick a different platform. Why do I visit here and not use twitter? This site has amazing utility considering it's free.

Companies always start off being consumer friendly until they get too big.

Old 01-07-2021, 03:19 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Let competition arise to take their place. If enough of the silent majority are kicked off they will pick a different platform. Why do I visit here and not use twitter? This site has amazing utility considering it's free.

CD Projekt Red comes to mind...

Old 01-07-2021, 05:13 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
They can do whatever they want but they shouldn't complain when revenue goes down due to less users.

Old 01-07-2021, 05:17 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
They can do whatever they want but they shouldn't complain when revenue goes down due to less users.

^These guys understand how this works. OP does not. End of story.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:05 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Trump, more than any other person on the planet, probably drove traffic to Twitter (money to Dorsey's bank account).

What I can't figure out is...why did Trump use Twitter? He should have started his own platform. He should not have been giving a communist like Dorsey any publicity at all.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:07 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
AT&T, when it existed, was a private company. Could it break into your telephone call and tell you not to say something then just cut you off and suspend service solely due to what you said?

NO.

That is EXACTLY what these Tech and Media giants are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies