Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I don't know how you got that out of her post. What I read was very simple ---- do not have children you are not able to parent either financially or emotionally. In other words, if you are 15 and your 23 year old boyfriend has 3 kids he is not supporting, do not get pregnant. If you are married and you and your husband are working hard but barely making ends meet....do not get pregnant (of course not all birth control is 100%, but if the wife in on the pill and the husband is wearing a condom, chances are good an unintended pregnancy will not occur), or if you made all the right choices but are fired due to outsourcing or any reason now would not be a good time to have more children.
?
And you seem to have slept through the past 5 years where a whole lot of people who THOUGHT they had very secure jobs, who THOUGHT they had done everything that we as Americans are taught to do such as finish school, work hard, get married, buy a home, raise decent children, who THOUGHT they were living the same American life that you THINK you are living, suddenly had the rug jerked out from under them when OUR GOVERNMENT made it possible for the companies for which they worked to avoid paying taxes by moving across the border...or to China. For every 15 year old mother that I see getting food stamps I see 10 shell shocked families who suddenly find out that the American dream is now reserved for the top 1% of the money tree. So, in your world, only those in that position should be allowed to have children because only they can count on their financial resources remaining solvent. That is ludicrious. And, sadly, many of those now applying for food stamps after a lifetime of working and supporting their family, thought the same as you do before the axe fell. Send not to ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 06:41 PM

437 posts, read 631,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
So basically your debate methods boil down to "nyah nyah boo boo"......god help the students of Texas if you are their teacher.
You've already said that. And this isn't a debate. This is high class entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
When I was little my parents were dirt poor. Yet my parents had too much pride to ever get food stamps. My best friend's family did have food stamps. So my family would eat hamburger helper while my best friend's family had four course meals with steak and all kinds of good food. We use to beg our parents to let us go to our friends house for dinner. 10 years later, I saw my old friend and we caught up. Turns out his family is still broke and on food stamps and my parents now make 6 figures. Food stamps cause dependency. Don't let anyone tell you different. I saw it first hand.
To hell with what the facts and statistics say- jrod saw it! With his own eyes! For the record, if a family is letting their child eat inferior, overly starched, sodium-laden foods in the name of pride, that's not honorable, or even responsible. I get so tired of these "my family had pride and so we ate air sandwiches 3x a day" stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
For every 15 year old mother that I see getting food stamps I see 10 shell shocked families who suddenly find out that the American dream is now reserved for the top 1% of the money tree.
Wait, you're from Harris County, too?

Quote:
So, in your world, only those in that position should be allowed to have children because only they can count on their financial resources remaining solvent. That is ludicrious. And, sadly, many of those now applying for food stamps after a lifetime of working and supporting their family, thought the same as you do before the axe fell. Send not to ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee.
I envy you. It took me twice as long to figure out her 'reward me for being average' agenda. Must be old age.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:30 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
And you seem to have slept through the past 5 years where a whole lot of people who THOUGHT they had very secure jobs, who THOUGHT they had done everything that we as Americans are taught to do such as finish school, work hard, get married, buy a home, raise decent children, who THOUGHT they were living the same American life that you THINK you are living, suddenly had the rug jerked out from under them when OUR GOVERNMENT made it possible for the companies for which they worked to avoid paying taxes by moving across the border...or to China. For every 15 year old mother that I see getting food stamps I see 10 shell shocked families who suddenly find out that the American dream is now reserved for the top 1% of the money tree. So, in your world, only those in that position should be allowed to have children because only they can count on their financial resources remaining solvent. That is ludicrious. And, sadly, many of those now applying for food stamps after a lifetime of working and supporting their family, thought the same as you do before the axe fell. Send not to ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee.
You seem to have a problem with your reading comprehension skills.
You basically reiterated what I wrote, but here let me break it down for you again, perhaps in monosyballic words that are easier to understand:

People who knowingly screw up thier lives and feel entitled to live off of the government are bad

People who follow the 'rules' (by steady employment and avoiding addiction in other words behaving responsibly) but still get the rug taken out from beneath them via job loss, death, illness etc... are good people making the best of a bad situation. And these are people who will still make good on their lives despite their setback.

Let's make this even simpler for you:

People who use any and all forms of public assistance as a lifestyle choice = fools.

People who use any and all forms of public assistance as a temporary measure to help them thru hard times (as it was intended) = good people who fill find success in life again.

Does that help, or do you need it broken down further?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,784 times
Quote:
I agree with you, tough times have hit a lot of people in this country.
No one can be sure that there job will still be there in any given month.
I feel sorry for the families that have had that happen to them. They already had the children and life was going along fine until they find themselves without jobs and on top of it, prices are continuing to rise. Many people in this country live paycheck to paycheck.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:26 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
When I was little my parents were dirt poor. Yet my parents had too much pride to ever get food stamps. My best friend's family did have food stamps. So my family would eat hamburger helper while my best friend's family had four course meals with steak and all kinds of good food. We use to beg our parents to let us go to our friends house for dinner. 10 years later, I saw my old friend and we caught up. Turns out his family is still broke and on food stamps and my parents now make 6 figures. Food stamps cause dependency. Don't let anyone tell you different. I saw it first hand.
Not true, maybe for some but not all. I am a nursing student who comes from a poor single mother. She was married to my father, had a job, as did he (hes a soldier). Well he abandoned my mother and I. He left in the middle of the night. Now alone my mother had to sell the house to support me and my brother . We ended up moving back to ohio where we've been "poor" ever since. My mother also had/has medical issue. Shes been in the hospital on her death bed twice. Our family has no money. I currently go to school and need financial aid in order to afford college. My mother has no money to lend me. I work, am a waiter, and go to school full time. I am on food stamps. I told them when I started, about 9 months ago, my graduation date and requested my benefits to be discontinued at that time. Am I misusing the system?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:34 PM

437 posts, read 631,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Am I misusing the system?
Well, that depends. How far did you grovel and deprive yourself before you finally got on food stamps? I mean, you DID try to sell your eggs and one of your kidneys, right?

Good for you, by the way. The system is there to be USED, not to be p*ssed on by people with a need to feel superior. "I didn't eat anything for three years. I just licked food advertisements. But I wasn't on food stamps!" Good for you, but not everybody is as foolhardy as to sacrifice their health (and their children's health!) for their foolish pride.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:35 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,784 times
Quote:
Not true, maybe for some but not all. I am a nursing student who comes from a poor single mother. She was married to my father, had a job, as did he (hes a soldier). Well he abandoned my mother and I. He left in the middle of the night. Now alone my mother had to sell the house to support me and my brother . We ended up moving back to ohio where we've been "poor" ever since. My mother also had/has medical issue. Shes been in the hospital on her death bed twice. Our family has no money. I currently go to school and need financial aid in order to afford college. My mother has no money to lend me. I work, am a waiter, and go to school full time. I am on food stamps. I told them when I started, about 9 months ago, my graduation date and requested my benefits to be discontinued at that time. Am I misusing the system?
No I don't think you are misusing the system, I think you should be proud of yourself

Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Absolutely not! The system was meant as a safety net, to help people when they found themselves in need.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
Well, that depends. How far did you grovel and deprive yourself before you finally got on food stamps? I mean, you DID try to sell your eggs and one of your kidneys, right?

Good for you, by the way. The system is there to be USED, not to be p*ssed on by people with a need to feel superior. "I didn't eat anything for three years. I just licked food advertisements. But I wasn't on food stamps!" Good for you, but not everybody is as foolhardy as to sacrifice their health (and their children's health!) for their foolish pride.
"The system is there to be USED"
And that is why the system is at its breaking point.....not from the people who find themselves in circumstances in which they need help after having paid into the system via their taxes, but because of people that abUSE the system by staying on it years after they could have left it.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 AM

196 posts, read 208,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
I use self Check Out when I have to. It sounds like you live in a nice world where Food Stamp Users make good money. Try joining Reality in a POOR neighborhood and see that most of those on Food stamps make near minimum wage.

Random
what kinda crack are you smokin?.... dont tell me to join nuthin, you dont know nuthin about anything. telling people that food stamp users are all from poor neighborhoods is a pile, pal....my own mother gets them coz shes old and doesnt have the income of some, doesnt mean shes as poor as you wanna credit all the folks that get stamps....reality in a poor neighborhood is all I came from, and what I made of my life from then on is my business, so dont tell me about what life to a poor slob is like....you know how to reach up, REALITY is a thing that can pull you up or kick you back to the curb, just depends on which reality you wanna take on, and in your case, Im guessin it probably all scares you, even the friggin check out lines...so dont keep sloffin off the problems you have back to me just because youre probably lazy and still livin at home....get a life and a job and quit your whinin....nobodys listenin....and if they are, they dont care....minimum wage gotta eat too...and not ALL of them got the stamps, or will....fill out your papers you think are so damn hard to understand and when your done with them....you know where you can cram them....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies