Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:31 AM

915 posts, read 3,175,458 times

Advertisements

Oh well this is showing how messed up the West Baltimore area is...Something must be done to it. Secondly, it just proved our welfare system is flawed too...that guy her bf cashed his welfare checks to buy cigs and boozes..wtf!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 AM

196 posts, read 207,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Did anyone hear the report today of a girl being shot to death because she refused a guy a cigarette? Apparently the guy approached the girl and her boyfriend and asked for a Cigarette. She said no. He then pulled out a gun and shot her several times.
Is this a sign of the times?
well, havent heard this one, but with the price of smokes, I guess you cant blame her or them....

Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,698,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I never said that I hated America; I will say that I abhor the violent culture.
Of course, I couldn’t expect you to understand that they’re different.

And accidents are murder now?
You’d be surprised at how few motorcycle accidents there are for the number of them on the road in all of southeast Asia.

I do repeat why I stay away from the violent culture in the US every time one of you post about senseless murders and the violence encountered on a regular basis.
I am not trying to spin, yes the US is statistically very violent, what are some statistics from where you come from?... Since you wish to point fingers from your undisclosed location.

Does it really matter if it is an accident or a murder? Both are unexpected and your dead either way. The US has some of the highest safety standards in the world, if not THE highest. Again if your from SE Asia you are probably in an area with some of the absolute lowest where people are running around like ants trying to sustain the colony and if one of the gets squashed its more of an inconvenience than anything. What are your murder and accident rates?

Old 05-07-2008, 06:40 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times
My murder rates are zero. I'm a pacifist.
Violence is not part of the culture I live in. What little violence there is here is nothing compared to the violence found and deemed acceptable in the US.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,397,404 times
Quote:
Violence is not part of the culture I live in. What little violence there is here is nothing compared to the violence found and deemed acceptable in the US.
And I'm sure your society is just dripping with liberties and freedoms.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:36 AM

196 posts, read 207,840 times
Quote:

yeah, we accept violence here, lol. in fact we accept anybody, thats why we have violence.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:50 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,832,510 times
BALTIMORE — Baltimore police said a city woman was shot in the head and killed after she and her companion refused to give a man a cigarette.
29-year-old Dawn Shipley and a male friend were approached by a man asking for a cigarette shortly before 1 a.m. Saturday, according to police. When he was refused, the man drew a gun and shot Shipley. Her friend was not hurt.
Shipley died later at an area hospital.
Her loved ones held a candlelight vigil Sunday at the location where the shooting took place
Here is the story. Not sure if the guy has been caught yet.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,107,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
And I'm sure your society is just dripping with liberties and freedoms.

And I'm sure it has a zero crime rate as well. I mean, who would think there would be so many crimes in major cities????

Crime can happen anywhere at any time. There is no place that is immune.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,321,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Did anyone hear the report today of a girl being shot to death because she refused a guy a cigarette? Apparently the guy approached the girl and her boyfriend and asked for a Cigarette. She said no. He then pulled out a gun and shot her several times.
Is this a sign of the times?
Yeah it's just the way things are, a local man was shot the other day for $2.00, it's omly going to get worst.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:29 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,832,510 times
It seems that the murders and crimes are being committed by younger and younger assailants. In London knife crime has risen to astrological highs. Gun crime is on the rise here too. It is now teenagers and younger kids. I feel safer in the USA than in parts of the UK. Every country has crime blackspots but on the whole the USA in many areas is safer than any where in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies