Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 10:33 AM

29,016 posts, read 14,363,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Obvious Double Standards will destroy America if they aren't changed. Segregation would destroy America if it wasn't eventually changed. The media's double standard in reporting will also destroy America if it isn't changed.

Good read by Simon Black. I will sum it up and add some things to it.

People need to have their anger heard even if they are wrong. Someone dismissing your anger feels like betrayal.

After the Floyd killing people felt that their concerns had been completely dismissed for years. Already angry and disgusted many resorted to an exploding rage that resulted in looting, rioting, arson, violence, and rising murder rates in cities.

The mainstream media empathized with them. Politicians took knees wearing African clothing. Minneapolis' mayor cried over his "brokenness."

While mass destruction was taking place that had already seen over 1,000 police officers injured, billions and billions in property damage, and a couple dozen of lives directly dead by riots and hundreds indirectly as murder rates spiked Kamala Harris went on TV, didn't denounce the violence and destruction, didn't distinguish between nonviolence and chaos, but rather said "They’re not going to stop. And everyone beware. Because they’re not going to stop before Election Day in November, and they’re not going to stop after Election Day . . . they’re not going to let up, and they should not.” The media accepted it.

The media presented this in the best possible of light as well as the riots.

Media members literally stood in front of building on fire from arson and reported that it was a "protest" that was "mostly peaceful."

Seattle's mayor called a lawless take over of city blocks causing mass property damage and the inability of some to move freely a "summer of love."

In August a BLM leader said at a rally in DC "I’m at the point where I want to put these police in a f--king grave. I’m at the point where I’m ready to burn the f--king White House down. I want to take it to the Senators. I want to take it to the Congress. I want to take the fight to them. And at the end of the day, if they ain’t gonna to hear us, we burn them the f--k down.” People chanted for a revolution.

The Associated Press, a trend setter for reporting specifically stated that riots shouldn't be called riots, riots should be called unrest. Rioters should be called protestors. Bending over backwards to empathize.

The media and many politicians responded with “We hear you, and we understand your anger. We want to help fix it.” That is what hurt people need to hear. Even if some of their facts are wrong. They need to hear that before you can have an honest discussion.

Empathy leads to respect and understanding.

The empathy is not a two way street.

If you oppose the lockdowns or masks, even if you might be misguided you are censored online and labeled nuts or a far right wing militia type. Did the mainstream media empathize - not really, no.

January 6th's actions were horrible in my opinion - disgusting. But did the media empathize at all? The media called it treason, which by constitutional definition it was not. Compared it to Pearl Harbor where over 2,000 Americans died in a surprise attack that led to a war where 420,000 Americans died in. Yet BLM people in masses chanting for revolutions, chanting to burn down the system is arson is happening isn't treason?

During the BLM riots, Vox ran articles promoting the riots as scary but effective at social change. Did Vox offer that same line of thinking for any conservative riot (I know of only two off the top of my head the past year)? No.

These protestors were awful. Most of the protestors didn't break into the capitol building. Why wasn't it "mostly peaceful?"

There are countless Americans that feel lied to and betrayed by their own country for years, which enabled a man like Trump to win in 2016.

I think the protestors are wrong in action and thought. I see ZERO concrete evidence that a single state let alone multiple states were flipped.

But for the mainstream media to refuse to empathize with the group that feels lockdowns do more damage, that feel the government has sold out average Americans for years, that feel there is real election fraud while doing the same for leftist rioters, it will do more harm than good.

This double standard needs to end.

Condemn all rioting, period, but empathize with those who are angry and listen.

https://www.sovereignman.com/trends/...tandard-30364/

Great post, and I completely agree. Although I think we've gone too far....not sure how we can get things back on track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
The mainstream media you see drives this racial division. MAGA isn't about Trump, it's about Make America Great Again. It's about getting our jobs back from overseas, and EVERYONE (White Black Asian Latino Native-American Gay Lesbian) being able to climb the financial wealth ladder. It's governments job to provide this opportunity through reasonable taxes, tariff's, and other protections. Instead, we've had politicians lining their own pockets with foreign interests money while outsourcing our jobs for decades, while we have cities full of people on welfare in section 8 housing.
Excellent post, and you nailed it out of the park !

Old 01-08-2021, 10:36 AM

26,283 posts, read 14,885,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Progressives worship the federal government. While it's okay for their own to storm the Capitol (Kavanaugh hearings), anyone else is seen as defiling their sacred sanctuary.

They flip-flop. If they do it, it's okay; anyone else and it's an outrage.
https://thespectator.info/2021/01/08...h-twitchy-com/

https://understandingdeeppolitics.or...unists-did-it/

And NPR and others portrayed those who forced entry banged on doors, forced their way in and did some minor vandalism to block the Kavanaugh hearings in a glorious light.

Maybe these misguided MAGA people pay attention to NPR and thought they were noble if they busted in on the process?

I think it is both wrong. Wish NPR would do the same.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:37 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,976,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Double standards do need to be addressed. Peaceful people protesting cops killing people are met with riot police, tear gas and rubber bullets. People trying to prevent the peaceful transition of power following a legal election get let into the capitol by the police, then get selfies with them.

Obvious double standards like that DO need to be addressed. It's absolutely astounding the mental gymnastics some people are going through right now to try to justify Trump's followers' attack on the capitol.
And other not peaceful people who burned down buildings and beat people up met with littler or no resistance, and were supported by politicians.

It doesn't take mental gymnastics, you just have an ideology to keep up with and won't dare to see your own hypocrisy.

I think both Trump supporters and BLM activists have embraced lies, so I have no problem pointing out the lies of either.

Trump is a lifelong con man and liar, and BLM the organization is a Marxist anti-American group that thinks America is purely racist and evil and should be turned upside down the BLM the MOVEMENT is driven by a false narrative that racist white cops routinely go around killing innocent unarmed black men, and that said issue is the largest problem we face in America.

Both are stupid, dishonest, and wrong.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I disagree. The difference is the type of riots these were. The city riots and looting during May/June and August are not the same as the Capitol Building riot during the Counting of Electors Wednesday January 6th, 2020. The city riots were not political. People riot and smash storefronts or loot for typically apolitical reasons. The protests were political and a few in certain areas did get violent, but most did not. There is no way to say the riot at the Capitol Building wasn't.
You must have forgotten the riot that happened on Inauguration day 2017 in D.C. , the attacks on ICE centers, the attack at the GOP softball game and the Kavanaugh hearings. All politically motivated.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:40 AM

48,393 posts, read 34,529,196 times
Quote:
Speaking of empathy, I didn't realize all conservatives or MAGA types were white males.

Otherwise a reasonable post.
That was part of the snark. I know plenty of female MAGAs.

I applaud you for your post, and your comments. You seem genuine in wanting a dialogue and I love that. But I don't think we will get what you are looking for in this forum, but that should never stop one for trying.

Kudos to you, because I can't rep you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-08-2021, 10:40 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,596,184 times
Quote:
https://thespectator.info/2021/01/08...h-twitchy-com/

https://understandingdeeppolitics.or...unists-did-it/

And NPR and others portrayed those who forced entry banged on doors, forced their way in and did some minor vandalism to block the Kavanaugh hearings in a glorious light.

Maybe these misguided MAGA people pay attention to NPR and thought they were noble if they busted in on the process?

I think it is both wrong. Wish NPR would do the same.
Forgot about that. Seditionists too. Did they get booked for it?

Old 01-08-2021, 10:41 AM

4,485 posts, read 1,839,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
You mean OANN, Sinclair, Fox, Newsmax, Breitbart, National Review, Washington Times, Gateway Pundit?
Oh maybe you mean the media you disagree with.
I mean all media.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:12 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,056,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can see a lot of reasons for it.

But I will start with no one is seeing the side of MAGAs. Countless articles and books HAVE been dedicated to understanding "the white man's plight" (yes there is some snark there, which proves the OPs point). I WOULD say it is more understanding them from a political standpoint than empathy.

It is HARD to empathize with a group that seems more intent on hating others (blacks, hispanics, immigrants, muslims, gays, women's rights). If they could verbalize something positive they stand for? That is not something "against" others? It appears that no conspiracy theory is too "out there" for them, which alienates even MORE people

BLM is a sympathetic group. They are against police brutality (is anyone FOR it?), and equal rights (is anyone AGAINST that?).

Perhaps MAGA needs to work more on communicating some type of positive message. Honestly, mounting an insurrection doesn't help.

I've heard MAGA interviewed with reasonable questions, and the answers are rarely reasonable. I cringe. I do realize the media chooses what interviews to publish, so I try to keep that in mind.

BUT, I talk to my neighbors and they freely spout the same, things that are just untrue. Comments about laws in CA, that are easy to directly fact check, and they just go around parroting crazy stuff.
I would like to share an old article from 2016 that gave me some insight into the world of MAGA. It's from cracked.com but it's very well written by Jason Pargin who grew up in a deep red area and has since moved to a blue area.

Quote:
As a kid, visiting Chicago was like, well, Katniss visiting the capital. Or like Zoey visiting the city of the future in this ridiculous book. "Their ways are strange."

And the whole goddam*ed world revolves around them.

Every TV show is about LA or New York, maybe with some Chicago or Baltimore thrown in. When they did make a show about us, we were jokes -- either wide-eyed, naive fluffballs (Parks And Recreation, and before that, Newhart) or filthy murderous mutants (True Detective, and before that, Deliverance). You could feel the arrogance from hundreds of miles away.

"Nothing that happens outside the city matters!" they say at their cocktail parties, blissfully unaware of where their food is grown. Hey, remember when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans? Kind of weird that a big hurricane hundreds of miles across managed to snipe one specific city and avoid everything else. To watch the news (or the multiple movies and TV shows about it), you'd barely hear about how the storm utterly steamrolled rural Mississippi, killing 238 people and doing an astounding $125 billion in damage.

But who cares about those people, right? What's newsworthy about a bunch of toothless hillbillies crying over a flattened trailer? New Orleans is culturally important. It matters.

To those ignored, suffering people, Donald Trump is a brick chucked through the window of the elites. "Are you *******s listening now?"
It goes on:

Quote:
They're getting the sh*t kicked out of them. I know, I was there. Step outside of the city, and the suicide rate among young people f'ing doubles. The recession pounded rural communities, but all the recovery went to the cities. The rate of new businesses opening in rural areas has utterly collapsed.

See, rural jobs used to be based around one big local business -- a factory, a coal mine, etc. When it dies, the town dies. Where I grew up, it was an oil refinery closing that did us in. I was raised in the hollowed-out shell of what the town had once been. The roof of our high school leaked when it rained. Cities can make up for the loss of manufacturing jobs with service jobs -- small towns cannot. That model doesn't work below a certain population density.

If you don't live in one of these small towns, you can't understand the hopelessness. The vast majority of possible careers involve moving to the city, and around every city is now a hundred-foot wall called "Cost of Living." Let's say you're a smart kid making $8 an hour at Walgreen's and aspire to greater things. Fine, get ready to move yourself and your new baby into a 700-square-foot apartment for $1,200 a month, and to then pay double what you're paying now for utilities, groceries, and babysitters. Unless, of course, you're planning to move to one of "those" neighborhoods (hope you like being set on fire!).

That is, if they don't replace the only room you can afford with a $3,300-per-month high-rise...
https://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reaso...e-talks-about/

You get the idea.

It's a long article but well worth the read.

It would seem like MAGA supporters aren't very different from other people such as Sanders supporters. One group might be crushed under hopelessness and being trapped in a town with no opportunity. The other? Crushed under a mountain of student debt and stagnant wages with no hope of getting ahead. One group might think that the cure is more jobs. The other might say that our existing jobs need to pay better.

Economic mobility I feel is the bedrock issue here that's causing divisions. Sure, there are other issues. We have a largely opinion based news media that's focused more on clicks, views, and revenue than telling the truth and Social Media shoving crap at us that it thinks we want to see rather than what's true that certainly doesn't help; but I feel like if everyone was doing well economically, people would be less keen to believe nonsense.

There are also studies backing up that when people are doing well financially, their IQ actually goes up. Financial stress will literally make you dumber.

Just my .02

Old 01-08-2021, 11:15 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,771,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You must have forgotten the riot that happened on Inauguration day 2017 in D.C. , the attacks on ICE centers, the attack at the GOP softball game and the Kavanaugh hearings. All politically motivated.
I was talking about the riots. There was nothing like that for the Kavanaugh hearings, just protests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies