Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 12:16 PM

46,266 posts, read 27,082,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
You asked if he could and the answer is yes.
I don't know if he will but there is a scenario where he can.

I did not ask the question, I answered the question that he cannot just launch the nukes because I said so.

He cannot solely launch a nuke.

What scenario? That he bypasses the other 2 or 3 people between him and the nuke button?

Quote:
Can't you just say sorry, I was wrong. Thanks for providing a detailed explanation.

I'm not wrong and you provided no detailed explanation. Once again there is that pesky unlawful order.

Quote:
We all know that he is not a good swimmer so the submarine scenario is out.

Well, the anti-trumpers say he is also obese, so walking all that way, I'm pretty sure that scenario is also out.

Quote:
The truth has nothing do with my choice of head gear.

Evidently it does, if you think trump can just stroll into a nuclear missile facility and hit the launch button....or provide a unlawful order because he is pissy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 12:17 PM

45,543 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
All the normal constraints that would limit a POTUS from making the kind of bold/reckless, long-lasting moves are out the window w/ Trump. What stops him from greenlighting a military strike, drawing America into a war as his final action as POTUS? It's his legal right as POTUS to do it. He has the "justification" based on Iran announcing they are going enrich their uranium stockpiles to 20%. Trump has already unilaterally launched an unprecedented attack on Iran. We've seen how he'll take down entire institutions based on pettiness (GOP lost GA b/c of 250k Trump voters didn't turn out for the runoff vs 30k Biden voters)

So what's to stop him from getting America into a war he'll have no responsibility to manage as a final F-U to everyone involved in ousting him after 1 term?
What's stopping people from having unhinged visions of nonsense scenarios? Apparently nothing...

Old 01-08-2021, 12:21 PM

1,951 posts, read 699,738 times
Given Iran says they will attack the new gov't on Jan 21, I would sit on my hand if I were him.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:23 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
Quote:
Mike pence would have to invoke 25 and the cabinet would have to agree. Given the current cabinet makeup it is a possibility.
Maybe not likely but certainly a possibility.
Actually no, the command runs through JCS (Joint Chiefs of Staff), then to the triad via either directly or Stratcom. The president does not have a physical button he pressed and the missiles go flying away. At any of these steps, the person can disregard the order as unlawful, which I suspect the JCS Chairman would do given the situation and context in that we are not even close to a nuclear war with anyone.

No different then my commanding officer ordering me to shoot some random person in the grocery store; it is an unlawful order, I do not need to comply.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:24 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,070,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Nothing. And that's why Pelosi is going after Trump's ability to access nuclear launch codes.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pelo..._live_hero_hed
Exactly. People saying leave him alone to finish out his term are closing their eyes to how dangerous he has become. He has absolutely nothing to lose now and he knows it. He has to be contained.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:24 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What's stopping people from having unhinged visions of nonsense scenarios? Apparently nothing...
Unhinged, eh? Who launched an unprovoked attack on an Iranian senior military official, to which Iran responded with its own military strike against American assets and soldiers?

Who has threatened unilateral American military strikes against Iran for violating the nuclear treaty that we exited?

if you're worried about unhinged visions, maybe you should look at the person exhibiting them.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:25 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So with all other normal constraints out the window, the thing we're hoping for is that Generals violate their oath and the chain of command to do "what's right?"
you don't have faith in them?

Old 01-08-2021, 12:25 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Actually no, the command runs through JCS (Joint Chiefs of Staff), then to the triad via either directly or Stratcom. The president does not have a physical button he pressed and the missiles go flying away. At any of these steps, the person can disregard the order as unlawful, which I suspect the JCS Chairman would do given the situation and context in that we are not even close to a nuclear war with anyone.

No different then my commanding officer ordering me to shoot some random person in the grocery store; it is an unlawful order, I do not need to comply.
I thought it was secretary of defense. Which he can/has fired.
Am I wrong?

Old 01-08-2021, 12:26 PM

46,266 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
And you're going to give them to ole sleepy joe? HAHahahahahahaaaa

Trump cannot launch anything because he is pissy....it would NOT be a lawful order...

So, runaround making all these useless threads if it makes you fell better about your TDS.

Ahhhh...I want to thank the person who gave me a reputation and not manly/womanly enough to post it in this thread (or even a DM). Now, it was nothing bad, just stated I have TDS...but that person could not even write it here...hence a snowflake, TDS sufferer, afraid to post....

Old 01-08-2021, 12:30 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you don't have faith in them?
Why would I expect someone to violate their oath and chain of command bc of they think "it's the right thing?" Especially when what they're being asked to do isn't illegal.

Put it this way, if Trump asked soldiers to execute American citizens, I don't know if they would bc obedience is drilled into military officials, and the longer you've been one the longer you've been conditioned.

So when a lawful order is given by your commander in chief... Well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies