Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 12:41 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...y-insurrection

It's going to be nothing but Orwellian oppression under dem rule.
He should ask Trump to pay to have his book published since all the actions he took was for Trump's sake and due to Trump's bidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 12:42 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
They probably did it out of fear of low sales, and bad PR. It's a business decision. I'm sure Hawley will find another publisher to publish the book, just as Woody Allen (I know, a very different case) did when Hachette Book Group canceled publication of Allen's memoir under pressure from Ronan Farrow (whose publisher is also Hachette).
Exactly. S&S isn’t loyal to blue or red, they’re loyal to GREEN.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:42 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmountains View Post
I disagree with cancel culture for trivial reasons but Senator Hawley is getting what is coming to him. He supported a person who engaged in an attempted coup, and after the failed coup was over didn't even have the stones to stop lying to his constituents. Even Kelly Loeffler exhibited better leadership and that is saying something.
He was within his (Dems don't look this will be offensive) Constitutional rights, and his objection is a right under the election law that deals with the acceptance of the electoral votes. I suppose you also applauded the group that showed up outside of his private home to protest (breaking the law as the law says no protests outside of private homes) and 3 end up looking in the door window with his wife and infant inside the house as he was in MO, which I am sure they counted on to try to scare him and his family into compliance with their wishes. The protesters trespassed, used blow horns, and when told by police to stop until a supervisor arrived, they continued for 30 minutes, then leaving chalk and signs on the property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Ban!

Tax!

Censor!

Abolish!

Anything you don't like....the liberal mantra.
They only parrot what they hear, maybe they get off the sofa and go pay off their college loans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
As we learned on January 6, 2021 words have consequences.

Nobody stopped him from saying stupid things. It's his right to do so.

It's not his right to whine about the repercussions.
He didn't say anything stupid and was within his rights, and until the corrupt government that you endorse rises people will continue to have free speech and take other actions that are Constitutional.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:43 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...y-insurrection

It's going to be nothing but Orwellian oppression under dem rule.
Parroting and carrying water for Hawley already?

Hawley is now as popular as anthrax. He contributed and participated in a seditious act. His donors are disowning him and I’ve read posts from some of his constituents: they want nothing to do with him.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:44 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
He can always self-publish on Amazon like Sidney Powell did when no one would publish her garbage. I'm sure all the Trump supporters will pay for it.
Yeah, the self-publishing industry has been around for a long, long time. Heck, well before all the crying about being censored on social media there's been means to put your thoughts in a book out to the public regardless of its merits if you were so inclined. I suspect Hawley is more interesting in those six-figure advances an established book publisher can offer than actually crafting something worth reading.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:44 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
He supported free speech and now his free speech is getting cancelled.
Wrong again.

He can get another publisher or self publish. I'm certain that will happen.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:45 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Just so we're clear here. S&S is "left leaning" yet a MAGA freedom fighter signed a book deal with them?

Crack is whack.
Because there are few options. Do you do business with any conservative companies? Conservatives have really done a disservice to themselves by not being more interested in media and the arts in general. These are the posts of influence and conservatives have largely ignored it. Their lack of interest is coming home to roost.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:45 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Please tell me where Hawley broke ANY rules whatsoever in challenging.

NANCY PELOSI herself did this in 2005.

Democrats have challenged the last several elections they've lost.

WHERE WERE THE CALLS TO CANCEL THOSE PEOPLE??????
Did those people incite people or lead to people breaking into the capitol building on a rampage? When comparing situations, equivalency matters. Comparing a person stealing a bicycle to many people breaking into a car dealership and destroying some **** does not carry the same weight.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:46 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
They declined to publish Woody Allen's book too. Maybe Hawley can go to Hachette like Woody,
Which I'm good with. I'm no longer a fan of Allen (how creepy????) and I don't care if Hawley finds a publisher, but the idea that any particular publisher has to work with or is refusing to for any reason other than the publishers ultimate best interests is absurd.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Freedom of speech only applies to public spaces and institutions. Private companies don't have to give you freedom of speech. For example, if you call your boss a $#!+#ead, he has every right to fire you, especially with all 50 states having at-will employment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies