Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 11:15 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,877 times

Advertisements

It's become a stark irony that the goal of politics is, largely, to serve people, and to bring people together. Considering how divisive political narratives and rhetoric are now, it almost seems like a lost cause. Both parties are supposed to exist to represent potential competing values, and bring those perspectives together in an arena of compromise for the greater good of all. Now our leaders act like children, which is (sadly) causing so many people to do the same.

Because someone (or a group of people) does not hold the same views does not mean those views/values (or people) are inherently worthless. I don't think things will improve until this sentiment grows, and people volunteer to think critically and fluidly.

It's a crying shame that people who align with a political party are largely categorized in with the worst and most extreme examples of what their parties can be (ex. democrats are all communists/republicans all racist, homophobic, etc.). Thing is that people need to take it upon themselves to reject this view, and not wait for any of our political leaders, or worse yet, the media (gag) to tell us that's how we should think. They won't. It's too easy to make disenfranchised people angry for someone else's cause, and to make the already angry funnel their anger towards what they believe is a common enemy. Propaganda is everywhere now. People need to think through it.

We'll never grow as Americans if we think in lockstep, and we'll never grow if we don't challenge each other, and especially ourselves, to think outside of our comfort zones. If someone's political beliefs cause them to avoid views and perspectives that are contrary, their ability to think critically has died, and they will never contribute positively to political discussions or aspirations of any kind.

I hope that a critical mass of people see the civil unrest over the past year as a tipping point on both sides, and will now start working on uniting people. The constitution is a brilliant, beautiful document, and while our country has made mistakes, we've done a lot of good at home and in the world. People come here, for citizenship, from all over the world, and there's a reason for that. All men are created equal-it's right there in our keystone document, and whether we have always actualized that as a country or not, it's an endeavor that we should all continue to strive for. Our future depends on it.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by NJmmadude; 01-08-2021 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 11:30 AM

7,387 posts, read 3,542,914 times
If only the Republicans would embrace:

-LGBTQIA+- rights
- social/racial justice
- climate justice
- abortions

Instead, they cling to their 1950's way of life and the world has changed so drastically the left is so far apart from right wing values

If the Democrats would only:

- be more fiscally mindful
- more business friendly
- stop appealing to the very small % of people who get offended by everything
- be more "pro America"

instead they are way off in lala land where I question if they even believe half the stuff they spit out. So they too are so far apart with their left wing values

As for the rest of us, we are stuck right in the center, represented by neither party.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:50 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post

-LGBTQIA+- rights
- social/racial justice
- climate justice
- abortions

Instead, they cling to their 1950's way of life and the world has changed so drastically the left is so far apart from right wing values

- more business friendly
- be more "pro America"

instead they are way off in lala land where I question if they even believe half the stuff they spit out. So they too are so far apart with their left wing values

As for the rest of us, we are stuck right in the center, represented by neither party.
Those people are called Libertarians.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:53 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
I just want passenger rail, a manned space program, preventive health, and probably more education funding.

Rise above

Focus on science!

Old 01-08-2021, 11:53 AM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Is it possible politics is more about gaining and keeping power as opposed to serving people? If so, that pits tribe against tribe. Not saying that this is how it "should be," just that this is the way it possibly is.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:02 PM

45,590 posts, read 27,215,643 times
So many things in play from the greed of people in politics, to the self-importance of those who push the narratives in broadcast and social media, and to the influence from enemy nations that seek to bring America down, and the lack of God and civility among the general populace.

There is not a simple answer here apart from a return to actually seeking God.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:40 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,601,138 times
Quote:

-LGBTQIA+- rights
- social/racial justice
- climate justice
- abortions

- more business friendly
- be more "pro America"

We disagree in a lot of things, but for the first time I agree with your post

Old 01-08-2021, 01:36 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Is it possible politics is more about gaining and keeping power as opposed to serving people? If so, that pits tribe against tribe. Not saying that this is how it "should be," just that this is the way it possibly is.

that's why we have checks and balances

Old 01-08-2021, 01:38 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
that's why we have checks and balances
Until we don't, really.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:56 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:

-LGBTQIA+- rights
- social/racial justice
- climate justice
- abortions

- more business friendly
- be more "pro America"

I agree. I am a moderate Democrat who is tired of these radicals who pretend to be so offended by every word, every statue, every action anyone does. Banning books used to be a right wing thing. Now the far left is doing it. There are a few words that never should be uttered but leave the rest of our language alone.

And don't pay for everyone's college education. How stupid. How unfair to people who didn't go to college.

The far right needs to see the need for abortion in many cases. Women should have rights.

As for the last line, Democrats are pro America. Just because you don't wrap yourself up in the American flag. I am very patriotic and I feel extremely hurt and betrayed by the attempted coup against our government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies