Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 07:35 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I found out recently someone I slightly know (friend of a friend) is convinced that crap is real. This is an upper middle class woman who seemed intelligent and normal. Not only does she believe, but she just disowned her 3 sons because they tried to intervene and reason with her. Apparently in her view the only reason her sons don’t see the “truth” is because they went to a “liberal” college and were “indoctrinated”.

This woman is not mentally ill or unstable, but somehow she fell down the rabbit hole of BS and now believes a conspiracy theory centered around activity at a...... pizza parlor?
You're a cool storyteller, tell us some more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 07:39 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Thats all the Far Right and the Right do just Spin conspiracy theories.
I’ve read many a left wing conspiracies

Old 01-08-2021, 07:42 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I’ve read many a left wing conspiracies
Such as ?????

Old 01-08-2021, 08:39 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Such as ?????
https://www.politico.com/blogs/ben-s...sh-knew-035224

Old 01-08-2021, 10:30 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
I am STILL seeing people tonight who believe this. Trump losing his Twitter is supposed to mean that the storm is here finally. Soon it will all be revealed, they say...we will all be so shocked. So many people will be in Gitmo or executed. Blah blah blah.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:53 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
I don't think it's mental illness. It's just brainwashing. Very powerful stuff. The internet makes it easier to get involved and buy into the message of the cult like political groups.

There are countless examples of otherwise normal people getting brainwashed; Look at the NXIVM sex cult. There were successful actresses involved in that. The members of Jim Jones People's Temple were not said by family to be mentally ill and look what they were led into. It's very scary and I feel this may get worse with the QAnon folks.

One difference is there is a lot of sympathy for other groups who are brainwashed. It's considered tragic. I feel sorry for these people too.

Last edited by motownnative; 01-09-2021 at 12:18 AM..

Old 01-09-2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmountains View Post
I too, think most of these people are not mentally ill, however Trump is, and as the leader, his embrace of these absurd alternative facts has led to the brainwashing.
Trump definitely contributed no doubt about it. I have to be honest though, with all the 20 years I have in reading message boards, I am aware of these extremists being around a long time before he came on the scene. The brainwashing has been going on for years. It's now turning into the perfect storm as all these fringe groups can rally around one person: Trump.

I hope I am wrong, but I fear it's not over.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:32 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Conspiracy theorists of all types exist among us. Always have and always will. The funny thing is that occasionally yesterdays conspiracy theories become tomorrows factual truth. I've always been interested in conspiracy theories because I like finding out how they started, what happened to make someone or a group of someone's start believing something that doesn't seem believable.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:37 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Trump definitely contributed no doubt about it. I have to be honest though, with all the 20 years I have in reading message boards, I am aware of these extremists being around a long time before he came on the scene. The brainwashing has been going on for years. It's now turning into the perfect storm as all these fringe groups can rally around one person: Trump.

I hope I am wrong, but I fear it's not over.
No they aren't. There are plenty of FRINGE leftist who are just as batshyt as anyone on the right. People do have some reasons to believe shady stuff is going on because it's gone on very publicly for 4 years and we know it. I've been a Trump supporter ever since he got into office. I was pretty happy with how things were going in the country and the world with him as leader. I only wish the vitriol against him, the medias constant lies , the Dems constant lies, didn't happen. I think if they had all found a way to work together, or at least no be actively trying to take Trump down, some more good stuff could have come out of it.

Sometimes you have to work with people you don't like, or work with the person who won instead of your candidate, but our LEADERS were too immature to do that. Everyone should be scared.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Conspiracy theorists of all types exist among us. Always have and always will. The funny thing is that occasionally yesterdays conspiracy theories become tomorrows factual truth. I've always been interested in conspiracy theories because I like finding out how they started, what happened to make someone or a group of someone's start believing something that doesn't seem believable.
Oh yeah, I totally agree. I have a curious mind and like to read offbeat things. Many things labeled as conspiracy theories end up being true. Who knows what this year will bring? There is supposed to be some announcement from the gov't about UFO's this year. The DOD doesn't set up a UFO Task Force for no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies