Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 11:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
He also said Mexico would pay for it.
Nobody believes Mexico would pay for the wall literally but we all think we can structure things in a way that the Mexicans pay for the cost.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Good point but that is what I do not understand, why they voted for him for a second time. I do understand why they voted for him in 2016. It is common in business to mimic things that are done by successful people. I for one always admired and still do admire people that have done better than me.

One would not take financial advice form a person that lives in a Trailer park and drives a beater.

Trump was a so called successful Real Estate Developer and portrayed himself as a businessman. Why not think he must know what is best for the country? That is logical.

But to vote for him again, that is the mystery. "Fool me Once, Shame on You" but "Fool Me Twice, Shame on Me"
Same reason as you voted for the Democraps after watching BLM and Antifa propagating racism and violence for years.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer6583 View Post
I don't understand what they thought they would accomplish when they got into the Capital building. Did they think they would stop the certification? Permanently? Did they think Congress would sit down and have a nice chat with them about the election?

One kid there said, they wanted Congress to listen to them, well they messed that up when they stormed the building.

Hope a few of Trump's idea stick around, but he himself and his family need to go away. No new wars, get NATO nations to pay their fair share were good things. All mostly forgotten because of the events of last week.
Please explain what would BLM and white wokes burning down buildings solve?

Old 01-09-2021, 11:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've mistrusted Trump for 40+ years based on his actions. I would never vote for a man/woman I don't believe I can trust regardless of their stated policies. I'd much rather vote for someone I believe possesses character and integrity and rely on our system of checks and balances to keep their policies under control. The sad truth about many of our elections is there's often little to choose between.
The hope I had was what Trump did with Wollman Rink in Central Park in 1986. After years of NYC blundering about he got it fixed ahead of schedule and under budget.

If you’re not familiar with that situation look it up.

But...even then he didn’t provide the promised publicity to the contractors. So not a complete success.

Last edited by markjames68; 01-09-2021 at 11:36 AM..

Old 01-09-2021, 11:17 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times
Quote:
Most people who support Trump do so from an evangelical Christian perspective and there is a sentiment that if it takes a strongman to force America back to Christ, then so be it.

Nope.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:26 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Please try to be civil here, this is not meant to be against Trumpers, they as we are entitles to their opinions, it is still a free country.

History has shown that Dictators and Wanna be dictators do not really care about their supporters. They are only concerned in their Power and ability to generate tremendous financial gain. I will not go into details about these folks there is plenty of data and example of these people, both successful and otherwise in the history books. If you are interested look them up.

Power and ability to generate tremendous financial gain are always the common denominators. They do NOT care in the slightest about the well being of their supporters, in fact they often persecute them when they realize the errors of their ways and stray from the fold.

For me, a real conservative who voted for Maggi Thatcher in the UK. when I listen to Trump, Biden, Bush I, Reagan and Obama talk there is a real difference. Trump does not sound like an educated professional (This is not necessarily a bad thing), for the most part his language does not seem be articulate, he talks in bullet points, and 90% of the time he is bragging about something, it is all about himself and how wonderful he thinks he is, not to mention the untruths that he continually pitches. At least that is the way it comes across, inciting negativity. These are typical traits of Dictators and wanna be dictators. The others seem more articulate and positive, in speeches they rarely talk about themselves.

Back to the Title. I do not understand why hardcore Trumpers do not get this.

Please try to explain this without berating the opposing opinions or party members, it is not productive.
The problem reveals itself in your second sentence. Trump is neither a dictator nor a wanna-be dictator, and is simply angry and frustrated by what he sees as a stolen election. (So are the tens of millions who think so as well.)

And it’s true that he doesn’t sound like an educated professional. I often cringed when he spoke. But I looked beyond that, to the policies he was supporting (and the positive outcomes from them pre-COVID), and compared it to the policies the left was supporting (which in my mind, and millions of others, has taken a extreme turn to the radical left).

So....he doesn’t speak well. His demeanor is.....shall we say....lacking. But his pro-business policies (and that includes the Can-Am-Mexico trade deal as well as corporate tax rates) had this country doing extremely well through a variety of measures. Then one compares that to the liberal policies, which 70 million feel weaken the country, and that explains the vote for Trump.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:30 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Please try to be civil here, this is not meant to be against Trumpers, they as we are entitles to their opinions, it is still a free country.

History has shown that Dictators and Wanna be dictators do not really care about their supporters. They are only concerned in their Power and ability to generate tremendous financial gain. I will not go into details about these folks there is plenty of data and example of these people, both successful and otherwise in the history books. If you are interested look them up.

Power and ability to generate tremendous financial gain are always the common denominators. They do NOT care in the slightest about the well being of their supporters, in fact they often persecute them when they realize the errors of their ways and stray from the fold.

For me, a real conservative who voted for Maggi Thatcher in the UK. when I listen to Trump, Biden, Bush I, Reagan and Obama talk there is a real difference. Trump does not sound like an educated professional (This is not necessarily a bad thing), for the most part his language does not seem be articulate, he talks in bullet points, and 90% of the time he is bragging about something, it is all about himself and how wonderful he thinks he is, not to mention the untruths that he continually pitches. At least that is the way it comes across, inciting negativity. These are typical traits of Dictators and wanna be dictators. The others seem more articulate and positive, in speeches they rarely talk about themselves.

Back to the Title. I do not understand why hardcore Trumpers do not get this.

Please try to explain this without berating the opposing opinions or party members, it is not productive.
His supporters do get it. What you don't get is that the MSM and both parties have been ignoring them for 30 years. When they didn't ignore them they insulted them in derisive terms. Romney, "the 47%." Obama, "Clinging to their guns and religion." Clinton, "deplorables." Communities are being hollowed out. Manufacturing is being shipped to China. Illegals are allowed to flood in and drive down wages. Foreign wars are taking their children. Real wages have declined for the bottom half for decades. Life expectancy declined the last two years of Obama's administration for the first time in the history of the country except for wars or the 1919 pandemic. Not only was their life getting tougher. They were actually dying earlier. And it was deaths of despair-drugs, suicides. The biggest decline in life expectancy was in his core supporters, middle aged men and women with high school educations.

President Trump heard them. He promised to help them. And prior to the pandemic, real wages for the bottom half increased faster than the top half for the first time in decades. The bottom half still hadn't recovered from the 2008 recession. The top 25% had fully recovered, but not the bottom half.

I didn't understand the Trump phenomena at first in 2016. But when they started talking about his supporters, I started to understand. I lived in a midwestern town that had 40,000 auto plant jobs in a half dozen plants. Went back there about 5 years ago. There was an article in the paper. Every single one of those 40,000 jobs was gone. There were once 3 high schools. Now there is one. There were once 21 elementary schools. Now there are 5. I went looking for my two elementary schools. One had been converted to a civic center and police station. I looked and looked for the other one but couldn't find it. After I got home I looked it up on Google maps. We had driven right past it. Its now a cornfield.

I lived in another midwestern town where most kids' parents worked in one of two factories in a neighboring suburb. One of those plants closed. The other moved to Mexico.

There's no excuse for anyone who has ever lived in a blue collar town not to understand the Trump phenomena. However, almost all the Democratic party is concentrated in big cities. And despite the media claims, the core of the Republican party is still middle class professionals and small businessmen.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The problem reveals itself in your second sentence. Trump is neither a dictator nor a wanna-be dictator, and is simply angry and frustrated by what he sees as a stolen election. (So are the tens of millions who think so as well.)

And it’s true that he doesn’t sound like an educated professional. I often cringed when he spoke. But I looked beyond that, to the policies he was supporting (and the positive outcomes from them pre-COVID), and compared it to the policies the left was supporting (which in my mind, and millions of others, has taken a extreme turn to the radical left).

So....he doesn’t speak well. His demeanor is.....shall we say....lacking. But his pro-business policies (and that includes the Can-Am-Mexico trade deal as well as corporate tax rates) had this country doing extremely well through a variety of measures. Then one compares that to the liberal policies, which 70 million feel weaken the country, and that explains the vote for Trump.
The left can never get over their feel-feel and actually see the policies.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:38 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Good point but that is what I do not understand, why they voted for him for a second time. I do understand why they voted for him in 2016. It is common in business to mimic things that are done by successful people. I for one always admired and still do admire people that have done better than me.

One would not take financial advice form a person that lives in a Trailer park and drives a beater.

Trump was a so called successful Real Estate Developer and portrayed himself as a businessman. Why not think he must know what is best for the country? That is logical.

But to vote for him again, that is the mystery. "Fool me Once, Shame on You" but "Fool Me Twice, Shame on Me"
But you’re ignoring the alternative. When reasonable people vote, they don’t just ask themselves “do I like him or not?” They look at the other option, and that was a man with very obvious cognitive decline, with a VP with Marxist leanings, and threats to give health insurance to illegal aliens, redistribute people’s money to pay off others’ loans, and even consider reparations, along with fears that the “alternative” is beholden to the Communists and, let’s face it, has a 47-year-record of accomplishing nothing of significance. Clearly, 75 million people thought Trump was preferable to the alternative.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
His supporters do get it. What you don't get is that the MSM and both parties have been ignoring them for 30 years. When they didn't ignore them they insulted them in derisive terms. Romney, "the 47%." Obama, "Clinging to their guns and religion." Clinton, "deplorables." Communities are being hollowed out. Manufacturing is being shipped to China. Illegals are allowed to flood in and drive down wages. Foreign wars are taking their children. Real wages have declined for the bottom half for decades. Life expectancy declined the last two years of Obama's administration for the first time in the history of the country except for wars or the 1919 pandemic. Not only was their life getting tougher. They were actually dying earlier. And it was deaths of despair-drugs, suicides. The biggest decline in life expectancy was in his core supporters, middle aged men and women with high school educations.

President Trump heard them. He promised to help them. And prior to the pandemic, real wages for the bottom half increased faster than the top half for the first time in decades. The bottom half still hadn't recovered from the 2008 recession. The top 25% had fully recovered, but not the bottom half.

I didn't understand the Trump phenomena at first in 2016. But when they started talking about his supporters, I started to understand. I lived in a midwestern town that had 40,000 auto plant jobs in a half dozen plants. Went back there about 5 years ago. There was an article in the paper. Every single one of those 40,000 jobs was gone. There were once 3 high schools. Now there is one. There were once 21 elementary schools. Now there are 5. I went looking for my two elementary schools. One had been converted to a civic center and police station. I looked and looked for the other one but couldn't find it. After I got home I looked it up on Google maps. We had driven right past it. Its now a cornfield.

I lived in another midwestern town where most kids' parents worked in one of two factories in a neighboring suburb. One of those plants closed. The other moved to Mexico.

There's no excuse for anyone who has ever lived in a blue collar town not to understand the Trump phenomena. However, almost all the Democratic party is concentrated in big cities. And despite the media claims, the core of the Republican party is still middle class professionals and small businessmen.
Well said!

I joined a company with almost 2500 people and thanks to Obama’s idiotic policy, we had to immediately start lay-off. So many of our employees voted for Obama. By the time I left a few months later, we had 1200 people.

Trump on the other hand brought us a better job market, few regulations, and a tax cut that the business can re-invest. We saved tens of millions of dollars due to his tax cut and the business was going to re-invest but the Covid hit everybody hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies