Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 11:41 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
People who are pro-Communist that want to censor viewpoints they don't like or disagree with...
If one needed a book to understand the danger in allowing calls to violence and falsehoods to spread freely on their platform, one will never be an effective moderator. This isn’t about balancing free speech against moderation. It is about worshipping an immature notion of free speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 11:44 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
Reddit is complete garbage, mostly used by the under 25 crowd, a bunch of idiots who know nothing.
disagree. there's very useful subreddits for every topic under the sun.
blame the poorly managed ones, not the platform.

but on topic, I also find that the mods on CD are slow and patient with the ban hammer so I too would extend gratitude for that.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:45 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Haha CD POC leans right. It is what it is.
it does, but it allows voices from both sides to be heard.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:21 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
If one needed a book to understand the danger in allowing calls to violence and falsehoods to spread freely on their platform, one will never be an effective moderator. This isn’t about balancing free speech against moderation. It is about worshipping an immature notion of free speech.
There are plenty of people who are pro-BLM or Antifa that openly call for violence. Even some people in the mainstream media (like CNN) condoned or even argued for violent protests.

I don't see them getting fired or censored.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:26 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
This is a right wing site. Not far right but definitely leaning right
you're aware what "wing" means in this context? it means out towards the end/extreme. Right or left-"leaning" is a couple of extra keystrokes, sure.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:30 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
There are plenty of people who are pro-BLM or Antifa that openly call for violence. Even some people in the mainstream media (like CNN) condoned or even argued for violent protests.

I don't see them getting fired or censored.
If you identify individuals who call for violence, you should definitely report it, if only to create an electronic trail for law enforcement in the event they need to review records. I have advocated this since last fall when it was obvious the online chatter about violence and election fraud started.

Whether moderators do anything about your report is another issue. As I said, one doesn’t need a book to know threats of violence need moderation. Otherwise, you get Parler-Jan 6. Effective moderation requires A. maturity and B. common sense. Allowing unfettered incitement in the name of “free speech” is the antithesis of both.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:36 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Yes it does, and yes it is. :shrug:

Old 01-19-2021, 12:37 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Funny that this thread was created, I was thinking yesterday about the mods here and that they do a great job of keeping it balanced. Thanks mods!!

Old 01-19-2021, 12:39 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,549 times
Quote:

Old 01-19-2021, 12:39 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
did you report the original, offending post?

did you use fact-based information to counter their argument?
on your point in particular about Sandy Hook truthers ... I shall apologize, to the extent I had no idea what it was. Having googled it - it's horrible and stupid as hell. If private info is being posted on parents on this forum, I'd think that would violate the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies