Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 11:19 PM

889 posts, read 273,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyRox View Post
I don't know that reprogramming is the answer. All it takes is for a little honesty and start with Trump admitting he lost fair and square. Trump took spreading misinformation and conspiracy theories to another level. The republicans need to come out and denounce the lies and propaganda that incited this. All of the propaganda and lies being spread by Trump and Trump loyalists and supporters are really the same tactic ISIS used.
oh i see, tell timmy your sorry and you get your toy back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 11:22 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,880,839 times
I didn't see Republicans crying when Rupert Murdoch was buying up all the media outlets and putting his own ideological spin on them. Y'all were cool with monopolies until a couple of days ago, when it actually cost you something. Under old laws and regulations Amazon would have been a good candidate for trustbusting, but the US has been letting media, utility and other companies form huge conglomerates for decades now, largely under Republican lawmakers and regulators.

Don't like the current situation? Maybe take it up with your boy Trump's appointee FCC Chair Ajit Pai, who's been in charge since 2017.

Beyond that...oh, Twitter, a private company, won't let Trump use their free service? However else could the sitting president of the United States who has his own website and media team possibly communicate with the people? Amazon, a private company, won't let Parler use their server space? Maybe I missed something, is there a shortage of servers available for sale? Aren't you supposed to be conservatives? Why are you expecting others to do for you what you can do for yourself?

Old 01-09-2021, 11:22 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,134,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
"Start your own company"? That's just what those who started Parler did and look what is happening to them. Google and Apple are refusing to make the Parler app available to those who want it.

What we have is a few companies who have a monopoly when it comes to social media. Considering that, just how the heck is anyone going to be able to "start [their] own company"? Get a clue.
There is a little misleading detail here...

While Parler did start its own company, they are still relying on leasing of various other services that they rely on.

This is one case that Parler just simply needs to own all of the tech they rely on. Its not specifically blocking them from operating. Simply means those that lease resources to them no longer want to be involved.

It will be only matter of time before Parler is up on another server/service.... At least on Android it is pretty straight forward to side-load an app without involving Google Play. I'm sure Parler could be installed in that manner.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:29 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,074,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
There is a little misleading detail here...

While Parler did start its own company, they are still relying on leasing of various other services that they rely on.

This is one case that Parler just simply needs to own all of the tech they rely on. Its not specifically blocking them from operating. Simply means those that lease resources to them no longer want to be involved.

It will be only matter of time before Parler is up on another server/service.... At least on Android it is pretty straight forward to side-load an app without involving Google Play. I'm sure Parler could be installed in that manner.
I've had no trouble accessing Parler the last few days...so I'm not sure why other folks are struggling.

I will say -- I have been on 'social media' since 1996 -- and Parler is not going to work for most folks. Their whole app is not as user friendly or as easily accessible.

Even Twitter is only appealing to a smaller percentage of folks online.

Having said that. Like most social media apps Parler is feeling their way. They refused to meet the contractural conditions of service with Google and apple like they were something special. Obviously they are naive. Google and Apple drop apps daily that don't meet some kind of criteria for being on their platform. Conservatives are all -- banning Republican ideology -- developers going -- nah they just be specific and demanding (remember when Yeti removed their community discount programs -- conservatives thought it was some big anti-gun agenda...it was just Yeti cutting their discount programs to community groups).......

Let's be honest -- Parler is loving all this exposure and new found notoriety but as they review the posts and if they see some nasty @#$%......meh -- their long term goals for profitability may influence what they want to see posted.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:46 PM

22,507 posts, read 12,052,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I didn't see Republicans crying when Rupert Murdoch was buying up all the media outlets and putting his own ideological spin on them. Y'all were cool with monopolies until a couple of days ago, when it actually cost you something. Under old laws and regulations Amazon would have been a good candidate for trustbusting, but the US has been letting media, utility and other companies form huge conglomerates for decades now, largely under Republican lawmakers and regulators.

Don't like the current situation? Maybe take it up with your boy Trump's appointee FCC Chair Ajit Pai, who's been in charge since 2017.

Beyond that...oh, Twitter, a private company, won't let Trump use their free service? However else could the sitting president of the United States who has his own website and media team possibly communicate with the people? Amazon, a private company, won't let Parler use their server space? Maybe I missed something, is there a shortage of servers available for sale? Aren't you supposed to be conservatives? Why are you expecting others to do for you what you can do for yourself?
Your first paragraph reeks of hyperbole. Murdoch wasn't "buying up all the media outlets". For example, Bezos owns WaPo and, of course, WaPo has always been a leftist publication with Bezos "putting his own ideological spin on [it]". Did you cry about that?

Censorship, no matter what form it takes "actually cost[s] you something".

Old 01-10-2021, 12:49 PM

18,410 posts, read 19,063,181 times
Trump isn’t censored in the least. He can still hold a press conference

Old 01-10-2021, 12:53 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,085,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Nothing is stopping Trumpers from taking their alt-right views back into the shadows of obscure web forums that existed before the advent of social media. Buy a web domain and have at it.
But that's like, haaard...

The funny bit? Well, not really, but... Thanks to Trump's Ajit Pai dismantling Net Neutrality, ISPs will be perfectly within their rights to drop packets to/from said new fora. But Net Neutrality was government meddling in the market, and that is, as we know, a Very Bad Thing. Or was, back then. Rather different now, it seems.

Once again, conservatives manage to get concerned about something only when it affects them personally.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:58 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,085,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I don't understand something. Conservatives have always been supportive of private property rights. Why not let the private sector sort things out? Capitalism will prevail, right?
Few things as funny as watching the squeals of rage from the market economy crowd when they're not getting the reward they feel entitled to. They've invested so much in backing capitalism and market economy philosophy, it must feel like serious betrayal.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:39 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,002,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Trump isn’t censored in the least. He can still hold a press conference
Yes, a press conference ? The lame stream media would not even cover it. And even if they did, they would twist the facts like they have for the past 5 years.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:43 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,318,664 times
most on the left don't care that their point is the only one being promoted and conservative thought is being suppressed they see it as a good thing they don't really think about the long-term implications of what this means and how it could backfire on them but most people in general don't have long-term thinking they only think about their immediate needs. Hence we have a hedonistic culture of lazy people that want their handouts and are corrupt to the core..... I'm generalizing the worst parts of society mind you not everybody is like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies