Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 03:02 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
What are you going on about. It's the liberal tech companies doing this purge.
Against liberal Trump Supporters....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 03:02 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
What does this have to do with the 1st amendment? Private institutions can do whatever they want. Liberals hate this but we have something called freedom in this country.
With Twitter and Facebook, that is a valid question. However, with Google and Apple - who together hold an effective monopoly over smartphone operating systems and therefore control over the apps distributed and hosted by those systems - their apparent simultaneous decision to start banning the apps of conservative accommodating social media platforms like Parlor is a substantial imposition on the freedom of speech and the effective first amendment rights of the potential users of these platforms.

So Twitter and Facebook are aggressively banning conservatives now. OK, so just go to another platform, right? Not so fast. Google and Apple are now selectively banning the apps for these alternative platforms.

The Supreme Court has some rulings regarding access to social media and the public square, which I imagine you are at least somewhat familiar with. First amendment rights extend to the "public square" and are not solely confined to just what the government would proactively ban by law or regulatory action.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Why didn't they do that this summer? There were plenty of calls for looting and violence en masse.
They didn't attack the federal government or democracy. I would imagine that is the big difference.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:03 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,592 times
Quote:
So to me, the most hardcore Trump supporters generally are very concerned about free speech as one of their God given rights. Banning them on public forums is going to be construed by them as a banning of their 1st amendment and going to have a bad outcome in my opinion.

I feel that this is like poking a hornets nest as is going to galvanize their militias into taking more action against the government, silicone valley, and snowflakes.

Anyone else worried about this or am is being a little over-dramatic?
I don't think it will be a violent uprising, but media malfeasance is a crucial step to what's ahead.

They've delivered beyond the wildest expectations. I was overjoyed at the purge yesterday.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:04 PM

850 posts, read 796,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
It don't think it will be a violent uprising.

But media malfeasance is a crucial step to what's ahead. They've delivered beyond the wildest expectations.

I was overjoyed at the purge yesterday. Let the world see.
Same here. I couldnt be happier.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:04 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well, I don't know if you are being overdramatic. I get what you are saying, but we also can't buckle to stupidity and cater to these imbeciles. As most people know, this doesn't infringe on their 1st Amendment rights. It is a private, for profit entity, doing what it deems is in their best interests. They love that. They are just too dumb to know it. Why do we have to put up with them so as not to hurt their feelings and get them spun up?
Which of the three are private? Twitter, Facebook, or Google? I thought all three were owned by the public.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
With Twitter and Facebook, that is a valid question. However, with Google and Apple - who together hold an effective monopoly over smartphone operating systems and therefore control over the apps distributed and hosted by those systems - their apparent simultaneous decision to start banning the apps of conservative accommodating social media platforms like Parlor is a substantial imposition on the freedom of speech and the effective first amendment rights of the potential users of these platforms.

So Twitter and Facebook are aggressively banning conservatives now. OK, so just go to another platform, right? Not so fast. Google and Apple are now selectively banning the apps for these alternative platforms.

The Supreme Court has some rulings regarding access to social media and the public square, which I imagine you are at least somewhat familiar with. First amendment rights extend to the "public square" and are not solely confined to just what the government would proactively ban by law or regulatory action.
You don't need to go through the Google Play Store to install apps. Google only banned it from the Play Store. You can still use Parler on Android. Android is also the largest mobile device platform... so as of right now, you can still install and run the Parler app on the largest mobile device platform. Not to mention on non-mobile devices.

I question whether Twitter and Facebook is aggressively banning conservatives. I'm a conservative and I'm run in conservative circles on Twitter and don't know anyone who was banned. The people being banned now are largely the liberal supporters of Trump who participated or contributed to domestic terrorism and anti-democracy behavior.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephariel View Post
Why should Twitter, Google and others care about what Trump supporters think?

Galvanize their militias? LOL. Fat boys cooking up BBQ in a trailer park isn't militias. Nobody is scare. Stop it.
Did you SEE the Trump supporters break through a very thick, strong line of cops? Did you see them scaling the walls of the Capitol building?

These are not puffy marshmallows. These are VERY physically capable (if mentally off-balance) men.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:10 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Why didn't they do that this summer? There were plenty of calls for looting and violence en masse.
I think we know the answer to that one.

Not all violence & mayhem is created equal.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:12 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
I feel sorry for anyone who can't see the danger in what tech, media and the Ruling Party conglomerate are spinning up in their grotesque plans to control humanity. It's not being done so that an event will be stopped. It's being done to punish and disassemble the conservative movement, which has little to do with Trump.
Not only are they provoking a civil war, but the blind cannot see that this control will turn against them as well.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies