Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 07:33 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,780,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Obama was a two term president who left office with 58% approval rating.
Trump was soundly beat after one term and left office with a 34% approval rating. I’m not seeing any similarities.

If the press would have treated Obama like they treated Trump, Obama would have been a one-term President with an even lower approval rating. Obama's record was and is abysmal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 07:58 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We'll see what the Senate says. It only takes 51 of them to find that he DID, and make him ineligible for further office. It's not all that important what we at our keyboards believe.
It doesn't matter what the senate says. This impeachment means nothing. Why, read the Constitution, its quite clear that impeachment is for a sitting President. Not one who is not the President any longer. No crime was committed by Trump, so even if the senate pretends to impeach, it would not matter because it would fail in its standing in federal court. All this is is a DOG AND PONY SHOW. It means nothing but a waste of time and money. And above all it wouldn't prevent Trump from winning a fair election in 2026. I saw his speech, perhaps you did too. Tell us all where Trump said to storm the Capitol. He never did and you know it.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Wonder if the articles of Impeachment have reached the Senate yet. Is that when Trump's lawyers have a chance to be given a copy and prepare for his defense? Anyone know?

Old 01-25-2021, 08:33 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
It doesn't matter what the senate says. This impeachment means nothing. Why, read the Constitution, its quite clear that impeachment is for a sitting President. Not one who is not the President any longer. No crime was committed by Trump, so even if the senate pretends to impeach, it would not matter because it would fail in its standing in federal court. All this is is a DOG AND PONY SHOW. It means nothing but a waste of time and money. And above all it wouldn't prevent Trump from winning a fair election in 2026. I saw his speech, perhaps you did too. Tell us all where Trump said to storm the Capitol. He never did and you know it.
The information that came out a couple days ago said they need 51 members to keep him from ever holding office again.

https://www.usatoday.com/premium-reg...F6655801002%2F

Old 01-25-2021, 08:48 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The information that came out a couple days ago said they need 51 members to keep him from ever holding office again.

https://www.usatoday.com/premium-reg...F6655801002%2F
That is not true or should I say perhaps in their minds it's wishful thinking. You can not impeach a person who is not the sitting President. Again, even if this farce is played out, it would not stand in a court of law. The man needs to be convicted of a crime, not some political witch hunt pretend nonsense.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:54 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Liberals should understand this .... if you come here illegally and hide out long enough you should be allowed to stay.
Melania Trump came to the USA from Slovenia. She is a legal immigrant.

She is Trumps 4th wife. She is a nice decent lady.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:38 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,605 times
Impeaching him will make it very clear that this kind of behavior, the dishonesty, the leveraging of radical ideas for his own purposes doesn't pay. Future political leaders need that lesson and need to see it very clearly.

Last edited by Diesel350z; 01-25-2021 at 10:44 AM..

Old 01-25-2021, 09:46 AM

726 posts, read 328,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC The information that came out a couple days ago said they need 51 members to keep him from ever holding office again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
That is not true or should I say perhaps in their minds it's wishful thinking. You can not impeach a person who is not the sitting President.
First of all, jmking, he already WAS impeached -- a second time -- and that was WHILE he was still president. And apparently you are going to be quite surprised when the Senate convenes their TRIAL on said impeachment in a couple weeks. And contrary to your steadfast but incorrect claim, the Senate CAN then convict him on that Article of Impeachment -- inciting insurrection. And there is precedent for this, so it's not even really a question. It's been done before in the case of a federal judge, and there was no attempt to overturn that action. Whether the Senate will convict Trump is still an open question. They need a 2/3 vote. I'm not sure, but I think they need to convict in order to then vote on barring Trump from ever holding any office again, which just requires a simple majority. (I could be wrong on that. I hope I am!)

Old 01-25-2021, 11:14 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
First of all, jmking, he already WAS impeached -- a second time -- and that was WHILE he was still president. And apparently you are going to be quite surprised when the Senate convenes their TRIAL on said impeachment in a couple weeks. And contrary to your steadfast but incorrect claim, the Senate CAN then convict him on that Article of Impeachment -- inciting insurrection. And there is precedent for this, so it's not even really a question. It's been done before in the case of a federal judge, and there was no attempt to overturn that action. Whether the Senate will convict Trump is still an open question. They need a 2/3 vote. I'm not sure, but I think they need to convict in order to then vote on barring Trump from ever holding any office again, which just requires a simple majority. (I could be wrong on that. I hope I am!)
Excellent points. Well stated. Maybe others will read and comprehend this.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:20 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,776 times
I imagines this is the evidence that will be used to make the case...contributions of Parler

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1353706505963524096

Quote:
New video footage: shows the crowd’s immediate reactions to Trump’s most potent remarks at January 6 speech.

Verdict: Strong evidence of incitement.

Here’s a 2-min clip from the full 10-min video
@just_security
It doesn't matter if he is impeached or not....people ain't going to forget this s***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies