Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2021, 04:15 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Google and Amazon would beg to differ with you.

Their complaint was, that calls to violence weren't being moderated.

Who is Google, Apple, and AWS to tell me what I can see? The point is they could keep anything they want from the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 04:16 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That is BULLCRAP, Parler has clear anti-violence and incitement policies and those posts get taken down.

This was a railroad job of galactic proportions
And yet there are screen shots from Parler that are threatening violence. I'm sure that AWS discussed the legality of what they were doing with their team of attorneys before they notified Parler that they would be pulling the plug due to TOS violations. I bet they even have evidence to back up their claims.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
They didn't violate jack, they were moderating posts. AWS on the other hand violated the contract by not providing 30 days notice. This is going to be a 10 billion dollar damage award

This is not about one APP, it is about three CEO's who have the power and proved they will use it to manipulate what the people can see.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:17 PM

1,951 posts, read 700,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
I don't think so. Not even close. Parler's Complaint itself says, at "Fact 24":
Allowing that "people have alternatives" rather cuts the legs out of any "antitrust" claim. Antitrust is about competition. If there are alternatives, that means there is competition. Parler's claim will be shot down pretty easily. ¹

And if Parler violated the contract by permitting violent speech ("AWS alleged that “[o]ver the past several weeks, we’ve reported 98 examples to Parler of posts that clearly encourage and incite violence.†Exhibit A.", the Amazon is surely within its rights to terminate the contract. Parler's argument that "twitter did it too" is laughable, and not likely to be convincing to any judge.²
1. It has nothing to do with "there are alternatives, that means there is competition." If that is the case, we will never have windows OS, IE vs Netscape Navigator. People can use Linux or Mac.
2. It will not fly in the court. DO you know how hard to switch WS? AWS does not give Parler reasonable time to implement a switch plan. Also, there is 230. Can you give me an example of your 98 claims?

Old 01-11-2021, 04:19 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Then again. looking at the list I don't know that Disney, McDonald's, Kellogg's or The Weather Company have much worry about their users threatening to overthrow the government thus putting them in violation of AWS's TOS.

(Although thinking about it, perhaps Mickey, Ronald, Snap, Crackle and Pop are up to some mischief we're not aware of )
I bet the Keebler elves are in on it too. They always looked shady to me.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And yet there are screen shots from Parler that are threatening violence. I'm sure that AWS discussed the legality of what they were doing with their team of attorneys before they notified Parler that they would be pulling the plug due to TOS violations. I bet they even have evidence to back up their claims.

If I can show a screen shot of someone provoking violence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or any other social media will these companies put them out of business? We have people on Twitter and Facebook constantly talking about hurting and killing people.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

https://www.foxnews.com/media/twitte...s-still-active

Old 01-11-2021, 04:21 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I'd like to hear their anti-trust argument when there are at least two other tech giants that offer the same service and over a hundred smaller hosts they could go with.

This is like being kicked out of Ritz Carlton and then suing them because you can't find another hotels that'd accept you.

This is nonsense.

The ISP market is nothing like you describe.

But you are a monopolist who is pro-corporations.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:23 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
If I can show a screen shot of someone provoking violence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or any other social media will these companies put them out of business? We have people on Twitter and Facebook constantly talking about hurting and killing people.
The difference is Parler took them down eventually, Twitter's violent posts are there years later

Old 01-11-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
This is nonsense.

The ISP market is nothing like you describe.

But you are a monopolist who is pro-corporations.

You are correct. I doubt any IT person would claim it is simple to change from AWS to another provider. The companies would be offline for days. When AWS had a problem which put Netflix offline, Netflix did not just switch, they had to wait until AWS fixed the problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies