Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 02:04 AM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's unconstitutional to try to prohibit something indirectly with taxes and fees. If you recall, it was done before with voting.

Imagine if we slap a $5,000 tax on abortion and a $100 voting tax on while we are at it. Does that sound good to you as well?

Perhaps they think cigarettes and liquor have set precedents for them to move ahead with this crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 04:25 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tread-Z View Post
The bill was introduced by Congressperson Sheila Jackson Lee, who believes an R-15:
1. “is as heavy as 10 boxes that you might be moving...”
2. “... and the bullet that is utilized, a .50 caliber bullet...”

Okay, she doesn’t have to be a “gun-expert”, but if she were introducing legislation to regulate snow skis, don’t you think it would be prudent to know that they go on one’s feet and they don’t enable one to go faster than light?

This is only one of the multitude of serious problems that liberal, “progressive” (this is how she describes herself) politicians have when they attempt to participate in “gun control”. These politicians seem to have little grasp as to why our Founding Fathers included the Second Amendment. It was to ENSURE the CITIZENS had the ability to PROTECT themselves from a tyrannical government. We, the American people did not want to be subjects of ANY government that denied us the right to REPRESENT OURSELVES. We wanted the God Given RIGHT to control our own DESTINY. We the people fought and died for that right and we wouldn’t have been able to be in that fight were it not for the ability to match our oppressors with like force, and defend our culture and our beliefs. Who doesn’t understand that?

We are NOT British subjects today, because we fought that fight. America is America today, because we had the fortitude to take up ARMS and DEFEND OUR FREEDOMS! If any of this sounds radical or strange to you, please familiarize yourselves with US History, and understand why Ms. Sheila Jackson Lee hasn’t a clue about our AMERICAN HERITAGE!

Write your representative and tell them exactly how you feel about this bill, HR 127, which would essentially strip these rights from the poorest of our citizens. As far as I am concerned this legislation is not simply out of line, it is TREASONOUS!
Well, you can get AR platforms chambered for .50 cal cartridges, but your point is made.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:33 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So you don’t believe free people should have the right to defend themselves against a tyrannical government?
I don’t think 2A means what you think it does.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:34 AM

7,353 posts, read 3,525,357 times
If you need guns in a situation you take out your phone and call 911. Otherwise there is no reason for anyone outside police, military, private security (to protect our beloved celebrities) to own a gun. I would even expand that to the New Jersey standard where the only thing you can have on you for self defense is a very small can of pepper spray. That should be the national standard.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:48 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
If you need guns in a situation you take out your phone and call 911. Otherwise there is no reason for anyone outside police, military, private security (to protect our beloved celebrities) to own a gun. I would even expand that to the New Jersey standard where the only thing you can have on you for self defense is a very small can of pepper spray. That should be the national standard.
"If you need guns in a situation you take out your phone and call 911." And how long will you have wait BEFORE the police show up? Especially with "defund" the police" now that so many jurisdiction have DECREASED the number of policemen they have.

"minutes don't matter when SECONDS COUNT"

Many people are not affected by pepper spray at all.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:23 AM

4,901 posts, read 2,055,276 times
Quote:
You sound just like the classic liberal victim... It’s always SOMEBODY else’s job to protect you. Good luck in getting a cop on the scene, after calling 911, as you’re being stabbed to death. Plus, if “I” was a criminal, do you really think I’d “let” you make a phone call?? Within 1-2 seconds of my attack, I’d break your jaw, slam you head first into a brick wall and be done stomping the “sheet” out of you in 20-30 seconds and take off with your cell phone and other valuables... To include your life... If “I” was a criminal.

I also bet that along with your lipstick sized can of pepper spray, you also keep a $100 bill handy so that you will have something to give them, when you’re being robbed.

Here is another “fact.” Criminals can “smell” the fear on the weak and vulnerable... I see it all the time!! I spent half of my career working in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Newark, NJ. I often worked nights and the criminals would “size me up,” when I’m on the subway, but in return, I’m “sizing them up” as well. They tend to leave me alone and look for that weak liberal victim that they know that he/she will not fight back.

Btw, they laugh at you, cuz you’re weak and they have all the power over you AND there isn’t a dang thing you can do about but pray that they don’t murder you.

I really feel bad for you since you feel no self responsibility to defend yourself against a violent attack.

Trust me, I’ve been in law enforcement for 26 years and pepper spray isn’t that effective in a close quarter attack and most of the stuff that they sell to “civilians” isn’t that effective anyway.

ANYWAY!! Good luck with your false sense of security in that “fantasyland” that you live in.

Just know that YOU make it a lot safer for people like me, since you’re an easy mark and the first one to be targeted!!

Old 01-30-2021, 07:48 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:

Cops are not there to protect you....

Old 01-30-2021, 09:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I don’t think 2A means what you think it does.
Im sorry to tell you, but that is the exact reason why the founders gave us the 2nd Amendment...

The problem is, the founders never foresaw the possibility of Govt doing what they are today...basically 'brainwashing people into believing tyranny is in their best interest or in the interest of their safety/security!

This was actually a very clever tactic by the tyrants!

Look at how people feel about 'selling used narcotics'...govt has made them believe this is a bad thing, (even though Govt doesnt even have the authority to create laws on 'drugs')!! They just convinced the people it was in the best interest of their safety and WALLAH...violating the Constitution is suddenly OK!!

Old 01-30-2021, 09:51 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tread-Z View Post
I worked in a county jail for 11years in a relatively affluent community —(think Oprah’s adopted home). There wasn’t a single inmate who committed a gun crime with a gun that they had obtained legally, including gun shows. Their crimes ranged from murder, to armed robbery, drive by shootings and etc. That failure of ANY practical gun control measure is the inability to regulate the common avenues whereby the bad guys can obtain guns. The principal reason that gun control is a poor idea is: IT NEVER WORKS! Gun control only criminalizes the law-abiding and is a source of amusement for criminals. Murder, armed robbery, drive by shootings have been ILLEGAL since they were defined as “crimes”. The idea that stacking legislation on serious crimes will somehow deter criminals is obviously ABSURD.

The reasons for demonizing the entity is always emotional and has no rational basis. The idea of outlawing automobiles, kitchen knives or hot tubs, because these have been used to commit serious crimes is patently illogical. Mass shootings are horrible for the victims, their families and anyone with any sense of empathy. The misperceptions of so-called “assault rifles” (which, by the way was coined by politicians, not gun owners, or gun industry), serves only as a projection or scapegoat of our real fears. There are literally thousands of these types of firearms owned by responsible individuals who will never have the compunction to use them in a destructive or criminal manner. The reasons for owning these types of firearms is not Germaine to the gun control question. Unfortunately, sensationalist journalism permits, even encourages the opportunity for the mentally defective or morally corrupt to gain their 15 minutes of fame. The sad irony is, there inevitably is someone or several someone’s who come forward after the fact, to proudly proclaim that they always “knew” or “sensed” that the perpetrator was “weird”, abnormal, crazy or strange in some way. Too bad it never occurred to these witnesses to the precursors of heinous criminal events to report these obviously deviant individuals to the authorities.

In a huge society, there are going to be deviants who will murder by burning down homes, drive their cars into crowds, poison subways, plant bombs, and wreak death and destruction by any means possible. It is much lazier to blame an object than it is to report one’s suspicions or bad vibes before a tragedy occurs. This apparent apathy and Monday night quarterbacking is also a sad part of human failure.
Another great post!!!

Old 01-30-2021, 09:54 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
You sound just like the classic liberal victim... It’s always SOMEBODY else’s job to protect you. Good luck in getting a cop on the scene, after calling 911, as you’re being stabbed to death. Plus, if “I” was a criminal, do you really think I’d “let” you make a phone call?? Within 1-2 seconds of my attack, I’d break your jaw, slam you head first into a brick wall and be done stomping the “sheet” out of you in 20-30 seconds and take off with your cell phone and other valuables... To include your life... If “I” was a criminal.

I also bet that along with your lipstick sized can of pepper spray, you also keep a $100 bill handy so that you will have something to give them, when you’re being robbed.

Here is another “fact.” Criminals can “smell” the fear on the weak and vulnerable... I see it all the time!! I spent half of my career working in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Newark, NJ. I often worked nights and the criminals would “size me up,” when I’m on the subway, but in return, I’m “sizing them up” as well. They tend to leave me alone and look for that weak liberal victim that they know that he/she will not fight back.

Btw, they laugh at you, cuz you’re weak and they have all the power over you AND there isn’t a dang thing you can do about but pray that they don’t murder you.

I really feel bad for you since you feel no self responsibility to defend yourself against a violent attack.

Trust me, I’ve been in law enforcement for 26 years and pepper spray isn’t that effective in a close quarter attack and most of the stuff that they sell to “civilians” isn’t that effective anyway.

ANYWAY!! Good luck with your false sense of security in that “fantasyland” that you live in.

Just know that YOU make it a lot safer for people like me, since you’re an easy mark and the first one to be targeted!!
Great response!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies