Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2021, 01:31 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times

Advertisements

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Twitter is not a government controlled app. The amendment speaks of congress, not a private entity. If Congress was muting Trump, that would be censorship and violate the first amendment. A private company can choose to mute whatever and whoever they want. In doing so, they will risk of losing customers, as in what appears that many Trump supporters are doing by getting off of Twitter. The only legal avenue I could see against Twitter is if Twitter's actions were deemed discrimination, something I don't see.

It amazes me how his followers are so blind to his dialogue and think it's all about freedom and taking back America. Taking back America....sounds a bit communistic to me. Was America ever lost? Every four years half of the country isn't happy with the outcome. This time around, after the Capitol incident, those on the right equate it to the actions of BLM and Antifa over the summer with the riots. Oh they were terrible and quite unnecessary for sure and caused a lot of damage, a lot. But BLM was about citizens rights fighting back on targeted police brutality. Antifa opposes the far-right ideology of fascism. What happened in Washington DC had nothing to do with peoples rights. It was an attempted coup against the government to overturn an election by crying freedom falsely. It was a direct attack on democracy. If you stand behind the march to Washington that was clearly incited by Trump and many of his congressional sidekicks, that was a direct attack on the constitution. Of course you'll disagree...whatever. I despise what the left did over the past four years with constant attacks on Trump which led me to stop supporting either party. None of those actions were against democracy, it was just the whining and name calling from the losing side. The Capitol wasn't rushed four years ago to overturn an free and fair election citing continued unsubstantiated claims and conspiracy theories that went well beyond the usual issues an election faces. And using the mail-in ballots as an excuse for crying fraud just because Trump said so (which he's been saying for a decade) is weak. Our country was embarrassed.

If it was me and I "owned" Twitter, I would take my chances on muting the words of a borderline communist over hearing the public cry and whine about censorship, since what Twitter are doing does not violate the first amendment.

Just remember, I only voice what about half of America feels and realize the other half disagrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 01:37 PM

3,078 posts, read 1,543,613 times
Well since Merkel is not happy about Twitter banning trump and other european countries are starting to mention the need for more laws directed at hi tech for this kind of practice. Merkel didnt object to Twitter flagging Trumps comments for inaccuracies but outright banning is very “problematic”. Corporations control America and the govt. hopefully their actions will cause a backlash among European lawmakers.

Old 01-11-2021, 01:40 PM

3,078 posts, read 1,543,613 times
What needs to happen is the right needs to buy a large share of Twitter stock as PETA did for facebook, and exert some influence on Twitter/zuckerberg’s policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies