Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 06:39 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I mean, but don't their people work themselves to death?

I would not want to live there.
Sadly yes. And guess whose fault it is? The greedy business men here in the USA who didn't want to pay living wages, taxes and work with regulations and environment standards and they were so lucky that our government allowed for loopholes and back door deals so they could move to China and take advantage of their low wages, high population and low regulation requirements.

I do however think that those times are going to be coming to an end. The demographics who put up with that are getting ready to retire and the new generation wants to grow. Other third world countries are growing too and won't be giving into cheap labor either, which is why our politicians here are trying pave the way for mass immigration from South of the border and they will be the new low wage workers when the factories start to come back to the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 06:39 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
My thoughts on China: Love their food, glad I don’t have to live there.
have you been there? the food is even better there, and the cities are superior in terms of tech, cleanliness and safety.

my other thoughts? I like my cash. I don't need the govt tracking my spending with digital currency.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
China is our enemy whether you like it or not.
says our govt right?
the US propaganda is extremely effective.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
That's what happens when your government isn't fighting about stupid crap.
or spending hundreds of billions on military and war.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:45 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
China's major cities are already more advanced than any cities in the U.S.
  • China has new high-speed "bullet trains" than can go 350 kilometers per hour, the U.S. has ZERO high-speed rail lines.
  • China has a new fleet of 400,000 electric buses for public transport in their cities, in contrast the U.S. has only a couple hundred electric buses in operation.
  • China is already coming close to having a "cashless" society, with much of the population using their cellphone to purchase goods. Cards and cash are a thing of the past.
  • Currently, China is better at Capitalism than the U.S. -- their Autocratic Capitalist society can quickly get things done fast, building infrastructure at a lightning pace, whereas in the U.S. building such projects as high-speed rail could take years or even decades to be approved before construction is even begun.
China already has the world's #1 Economy.
With the largest workforce on the entire planet, no other nation can compete.

China is #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaELQS5kTso

Your thoughts?
I agree. Our Maryland Purple Line? Got started over 20 years ago. They JUST started building it 2 years ago. And it still is going through fits and starts.

Infrastructure? Public always has a say. Democratic processes. A small wealthy contingent in Maryland was able to ice the light rail project multiple times. In china, the public really has no voice. Eliminates the bureaucratic sloth just to build a sidewalk. Too many NIMBYs with an ax to grind.

In addition, American is too greedy. If anything doesn't produce a gainful return, investors shy away from it. Nothing is ever done for the public unless someone can profit. Governments have to issue bonds just to fund projects. China does it diferently.

Now, do I agree with China's civil policies? Not at all. But damn, we need to get the stick outta our asses and get sh*t done.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
It's amazing what you can do....when you ignore CO2 emissions standards

..and have the highest CO2 emissions in the world

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ederations.png
on a per capita basis, we are at #4 and they are at #11. AND they are the factory of the world that basically produces everything.
so it appears we have a lot to be ashamed of (we here in the US, assuming you are american).

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/eac...-co2-emissions

Old 01-11-2021, 06:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It was ALWAYS going to be the world's largest economy, because it has the world's largest population. Once they started industrializing...
India is going to have a bigger population than China within a few years. The current estimate is 2027.

China is going to have major demographic problems probably by the next decade. It's going to be very painful for them.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
It should be noted that graph doesn't take into account per person C02 emissions. China's much lower than the U.S. and Australia if we take that into account.
And they have a big push to reduce that pollution too. Just ask any China electric vehicle investor.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:48 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
The good thing about concentration of power is that when you have someone competent at the helm you can make a lot of progress. Look no further than your history books and the concept of the "good king".

The problems arise when you get someone in power that starts making poor decisions and then you can't do much about it due to the apparatus of control that the last guy put in place....and the public discourse is controlled....the media controlled.

That's when that sort of arrangement falls apart.

I harbor no ill-will towards China, I just look back at the huge hole they dug themselves during the Mao years that set them back for so long and see them setting the stage to eventually repeat it...might not be for 20-30...50 years but....it's a peril.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
India is going to have a bigger population than China within a few years. The current estimate is 2027.

China is going to have major demographic problems probably by the next decade. It's going to be very painful for them.
You mean their growing middle class while our shrinks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies