Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 10:12 AM

3,992 posts, read 1,842,080 times

Advertisements

Excess deaths is 300K. That is not up for debate.

If not one more person died - there would be 10% more deaths this year than last. Births out pace deaths by about 25% (or 33%, depending on your philosophy = 3 people die, 4 are born...roughly).

Well, the increase from the norm is actually 1/6 of 1%

The increase from the norm is "excess deaths" - and it's about 300K high right now.

Meantime, 300K is a 10th of 1% - not a 6th - but fortunately, this thread is not about that.

3.1 million people died in 2020. Sure. But let's use the year from March 1 to March 1st 2021, since two months of 2020 didn't really count in this conversation. There is no math - anywhere - that will somehow "balance out" the COVID deaths to the "deaths that didn't happen."

This thread was about the potential million - and so were my comments - and my comments were directed at someone who thought 1 million wasn't really that many, being 1/3 of 1%. That someone is wrong, in the big scheme. 1 million (extra) deaths in a year would be huge.

At 300K dead, our population growth shrunk from last year by 30% or so. I'm not an economist - but being a gambler, I'll bet the net effect is NOT zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 10:22 AM

596 posts, read 300,021 times
What is also not up for debate is the relatively small percentage of people that have died from this in relation to the total population. Being that the trend is intended to be a short term thing (at least that's what I'm told with the new vaccine coming out), the population growth should not be a concern (unless of course one thinks a 2-3 year trend is earth shattering). I for one don't believe this to be much of a problem. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure our population did not decline last year, but rather the pace of growth slowed down (and that's not exactly a bad thing).

Last edited by BobPhipps; 01-12-2021 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-12-2021, 12:40 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,550,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I thought Joe was going to change everything and get the pandemic under control? Is MSNBC already doubting him? May gives Joe 4 months to show those leadership skills we have heard so much about.
I thought COVID was magically going to go away once Biden was elected? Then the goalposts were moved and it was going to be once the Inauguration Day happened.

Another QAnon conspiracy theory ripped to shreds. I'm starting to believe that they might be just retarded douchebags.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:50 PM

3,992 posts, read 1,842,080 times
What is also not up for debate is the relatively small percentage of people that have died from this in relation to the total population

It's a relatively small percent of the population that die from ANYTHING day to day. So....I guess ALL death is pretty much irrelevant to you.

It's not about death anyway - it's about resources - that's all.

But to whatever degree you care about dead people - 1 in 10 obituaries right now is COVID. Seems like enough for me.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:32 PM

8,022 posts, read 3,599,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
What is also not up for debate is the relatively small percentage of people that have died from this in relation to the total population

It's a relatively small percent of the population that die from ANYTHING day to day. So....I guess ALL death is pretty much irrelevant to you.

But to whatever degree you care about dead people - 1 in 10 obituaries right now is COVID. Seems like enough for me.
It's amazing how many do not grasp that. And of course "relatively" is important.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:51 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,058,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I thought COVID was magically going to go away once Biden was elected? Then the goalposts were moved and it was going to be once the Inauguration Day happened.

Another QAnon conspiracy theory ripped to shreds. I'm starting to believe that they might be just retarded douchebags.
Cuomo is talking about reopening all of a sudden. No doubt why

Old 01-12-2021, 06:57 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,058,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There is no denying that Trump dismissed the virus too early and claimed defeat over the enemy......He retreated too early and that enemy took advantage and cam surging in.

In a week we can move forward and hopefully get some consistent, real, messaging and information.
Biden’s plan is ... wear masks

That’s it. Do what we have already been doing for about eight months

Old 01-12-2021, 07:00 PM

596 posts, read 300,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
It's amazing how many do not grasp that. And of course "relatively" is important.
Nice Straw Man all around. Yes it is a extremely small percentage (glad you two can finally agree it's not huge). And as with most things in life, there are two sides to the issue. For many, that small of a percentage does not warrant going into shutdowns and bankrupting businesses. But if we're going to go the hyperbolic route, maybe we should just completely shutdown commerce and remove all vehicles off the roads since that would save lives.

It is also ironic that with all the knowledge of the 'so called' experts, how little effort was made to expand hospital capacity (especially since everyone kept saying a 2nd wave was coming). The idiots in government treated it like they typically do creating infrastructure (always a day late with no forethought whatsoever). It's not like there isn't an ample amount of labor and land available throughout the country. Pathetic.

Last edited by BobPhipps; 01-12-2021 at 07:11 PM..

Old 01-12-2021, 07:00 PM

25,388 posts, read 18,514,062 times
Especially if 90% of those deaths were due to unrelated conditions. If we can just get a few more car crashes and slips on sidewalk ice chalked up as covid, we might just reach that magical number.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:19 PM

200 posts, read 82,707 times
I seriously doubt 1,000,000. Who is keeping track of all these Covid deaths? Dominion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies