Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2021, 11:55 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,753,420 times

Advertisements

I think it could have been as simple as an attitude adjustment. His policy was great for America, but it appears more people prefer someone that isnt as rough around the edges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 08:21 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,456,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I really think the failure of passing the $2k stimulus plan helped sink his re-election.

But he could have catered to the Bernie Sanders crowd, who reluctantly voted for Biden, by slashing or eliminating Student debt (providing a big boost to the economy) which he could have done without the consent of Congress or the Senate. Cancelling of student debt, along with free college, is big on the agenda of the Sanders followers. How many votes would that have translated to? 5 million?

Before the Bernie crowd storms the Capital, they're going to wait and see what gifts Biden is going to give them in return for their votes. I hear the $10k figure of slashing student debt, with restrictions. I don't think this is going to sail with the Bernie crowd, which are going to be even powerful in the next election as they're not going away anytime soon.

So what do you think? Canceling/Slashing Student Debt would have helped save him?

And please, let's leave conspiracy theories and voter fraud out of this thread!
He does ANYTHING once Covid became a pandemic and he wins re-election, probably relatively easily.

Also another big reason: He didn't do anything at all to appease to people outside of his MAGAt followers. Some of them just got tired of listening to him, others jumped ship to Democrat's or independents, others didn't like the Covid response. In 2016 he got lucky in that likely a lot of people that would've voted for Hilary in 2016 wrote in "Harambe" instead and there weren't those 3rd party/write in votes to help him this year. When you factor in all of those factors and it was a complete death knell for him. Take out 1 or 2 of those factors and it's quite possibly Trump wins.

His re-election was the equivalent of a transportation disaster. Very rarely does a single factor cause the accident, usually it's multiple 5 to 10 or more that occur for the disaster to happen, and even if just 1 of those 10 things don't happen, the accident doesn't happen. Same with Trump in 2020.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:35 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,869,543 times
I think simply wearing a mask might have saved his Presidency. It might have just been enough. But Trump doesn’t listen to anyone, so in that sense he was always doomed.

I do hope he does realize he might still be president if he had only worn a friggen mask. Ha!

Old 01-21-2021, 09:19 PM

32,049 posts, read 15,033,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I think simply wearing a mask might have saved his Presidency. It might have just been enough. But Trump doesn’t listen to anyone, so in that sense he was always doomed.

I do hope he does realize he might still be president if he had only worn a friggen mask. Ha!
I really think this was the nail in his coffin. We have been going though this pandemic for almost a year and yet nothing has changed. In fact it's just getting worse. Trump never took it seriously. He mocked people for wearing masks. Why re elect a president who has done nothing about the suffering in our country because of this. It's almost like he didn't want to bothered dealing with this. I don't know why he didn't use the Defense Production Act.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:38 PM

6,794 posts, read 14,014,145 times
In four years Trump never polled above 47%. He never ever tried to expand his base but was content with having is supporters adore him. Despite what many think Biden is a middle of the road politician and independents felt comfortable voting for him. Trump lost the educated suburban vote and this sunk his ship. How can any logical person think a guy who never got over 47% approval rating somehow got over 50% on election night is beyond me. Trump starting calling the election a fraud before the election because he knew he would never get over 50% approval rating. His handling of Covid was the final nail in the coffin for those sitting on the fence. Thousands dead or dying and the man showed no empathy at all. He lost because he never grew into the job.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:25 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,639,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
In four years Trump never polled above 47%. He never ever tried to expand his base but was content with having is supporters adore him. Despite what many think Biden is a middle of the road politician and independents felt comfortable voting for him. Trump lost the educated suburban vote and this sunk his ship. How can any logical person think a guy who never got over 47% approval rating somehow got over 50% on election night is beyond me. Trump starting calling the election a fraud before the election because he knew he would never get over 50% approval rating. His handling of Covid was the final nail in the coffin for those sitting on the fence. Thousands dead or dying and the man showed no empathy at all. He lost because he never grew into the job.
Trump never grew into the job because the job itself was really of no interest to him. He just wanted the power and the title. He only cared about himself and it showed throughout his Presidency. It was never more so than when he sent the mob on Pence for doing the only thing he could do. Pence never had the power to overturn the election. This alone should sicken people how easily Trump would throw anyone under the bus. It's a blessing he is out of office now. Good Riddance!

Old 01-22-2021, 01:28 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,181,679 times
Voter ID would have done the trick.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:18 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,708,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Voter ID would have done the trick.
So simple, and yet we have 9 pages of mostly nonsense from an alternate reality.

The simple answer is....Trump DID win among legitimate voters. Not surprisingly, there is another thread here about new bills introduced that would destroy all chances of honest, fair elections for the future. It's to the point now where thinking there's a solution for this madness in the voting booth is the ultimate in silliness. As silly as watching video of Biden sitting in the oval office acting as though he were President.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:27 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,708,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I think it could have been as simple as an attitude adjustment. His policy was great for America, but it appears more people prefer someone that isnt as rough around the edges.
That is media spin and a lie. Most people prefer him to be exactly how he is and what he is. That is, after all, why he was so effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr2h...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-22-2021, 05:31 AM

24,595 posts, read 9,430,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
By taking Covid seriously from the very beginning and not f'ing up the response. That was all he had to do to get a second term and he blew it.
Not true.

The covid death count will reach 500Knext month, under Biden, are you going to blame Trump for that too?

The only thing that could've saved Trump was being more likeable, not arguing and insulting everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies