Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 06:47 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times

Advertisements

So to show that it's not fair, unAmerican even to refuse do business with seditionists, RW folks are going to refuse to do business with these businesses.

Makes total sense.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:47 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,203,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Agree. I'm thinking our only chance is for the half of America who is being censored, silenced, treated like 2nd class citizens (or worse), having their jobs threatened, etc., need to stop buying from these companies.

(I heard that a ton of people cancelled their Amazon Prime accounts. I will be another one, as of today.)
We need to stop with this narrative that "half of America" is being silenced. No, it's not.

There are approximately 328M adults in America, of which 74M voted for Trump, which equals 22.5%

Your argument also assumes that all 74M voters are active on Parler or in the MAGA movement. This is unequivocally false. There are many people who believe Trump lost and don't support his rallies or those MAGA who stormed the Capitol to try to disrupt Mike Pence from executing his duties as President of the Senate. I'd honestly be surprised if it was more than 10K people who are truly "upset".

At the end of the day it's a miniscule, albeit loud subsection of the American public who are upset at Parler getting unplugged and the President being barred from Twitter.

People want to think that they can say things on the internet without repercussion. The past few days have been, hopefully, a learning lesson that the rules of decorum and society extend to the internet.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:52 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,920,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Agree. I'm thinking our only chance is for the half of America who is being censored, silenced, treated like 2nd class citizens (or worse), having their jobs threatened, etc., need to stop buying from these companies.

(I heard that a ton of people cancelled their Amazon Prime accounts. I will be another one, as of today.)
There is no question that being a hardcore Trump supporter at this point is going to get costly in many different ways. Not only will they have to disconnect themselves from the engines of American commerce like Amazon, to be really safe from the ever expanding blue areas they will need to go further and further out into the hinterlands, well away from the good schools and the hospitals with the best health care and the job opportunities.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:54 AM

33,308 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Which is why this bank will be added to the list of those we will never do business with either. And why we have put our bank on notice that should they do the same, we will transfer our money elsewhere. We're just one family, but it's enough money they will take notice.

Looking local.
How sad that such an amoral human being (Trump) has so much influence over you.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:01 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Trump is a deadbeat. Well known for being a deadbeat. He's run numerous businesses into the ground. Several bankruptcies. Thousands of lawsuits over refusing to pay what he owes.

This has been going on for decades. So why any anyone would bankroll him at all is a mystery to be solved.

In any case, Deutsche Bank says they're through. Last I read, they were trying to sell their Trump loans and having little luck.

Think on this for a moment.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:02 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
We need to stop with this narrative that "half of America" is being silenced. No, it's not.

There are approximately 328M adults in America, of which 74M voted for Trump, which equals 22.5%

Your argument also assumes that all 74M voters are active on Parler or in the MAGA movement. This is unequivocally false. There are many people who believe Trump lost and don't support his rallies or those MAGA who stormed the Capitol to try to disrupt Mike Pence from executing his duties as President of the Senate. I'd honestly be surprised if it was more than 10K people who are truly "upset".

At the end of the day it's a miniscule, albeit loud subsection of the American public who are upset at Parler getting unplugged and the President being barred from Twitter.

People want to think that they can say things on the internet without repercussion. The past few days have been, hopefully, a learning lesson that the rules of decorum and society extend to the internet.
By your reasoning, it is not correct to say that the majority of people wanted Trump out. Only about 26% expressed such a view.

But yes, the 74 million Americans who voted for Trump do indeed feel censored. NOBODY in my neighborhood put a Trump sign out, and walking around looking at the Biden signs, you'd think that everyone was a Democrat. Yet, on Election Day, the majority of voters in my liberal precinct went for Trump. That tells me that they, like I, feared retribution if we were to express preference for the U.S. President over the challenger.

And this silencing started long ago, but now it has risen to such a thuggish level that it can't be hidden. Years ago, when I was on another forum, the liberals were praising Bernie's plan to give free college to everyone (along with other freebies). I pointed out that the numbers didn't work - that even if you taxed ALL the money "rich" people earned, there wouldn't be enough to pay for it. My comment was quickly deleted by the (ultra-leftist) forum owner. When I asked him why my comment was deleted, he banned me.

Finally, it's more than just the president been banned from Twitter or Parler getting unplugged. (I've never been on either, BTW.) It's about the silencing of opposing voices by major corporations, and this might work it's way up to the SCOTUS, particularly in Parler's case. There, major leftist corporations (like Amazon and Twitter) have combined to squash a new and significantly smaller competitor. It may prove to be in violation of anti-trust laws, and if the SCOTUS hears it before Biden packs the Court with leftists, we will have a fair hearing.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:02 AM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
He lost the pga event in 2022 that he bought all these golf courses to get.
english version of this?

Old 01-12-2021, 07:03 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,203,357 times
All these "hurt" MAGA...I'm betting supported the bakery refusing to bake cakes for the gay couple.

But when the shoe is on the other foot, stop me if you've heard this before, they are now "victims" of the vast leftwing conspiracy.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:04 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,751,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Deutsche Bank will just be one of many that will refuse to do business with Trump. Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. No one wants to be associated with someone that doesn’t value democracy.

https://www.dw.com/en/deutsche-bank-...dia/a-56200600
They're just covering their butts. Reputational Risk is a real threat for businesses and they know it's in their best interest to cut ties with a guy who went from being shocking as a game show host to divisive as a candidate to polarizing as a President to seditious as a losing candidate.

They're not being noble or heroic. They're scrambling. Trump is no different now than he was in 2006 or 2016. He's just been escalating.

And for everyone who complains that these businesses are making these decisions......gay wedding cakes. What's good for the alt-right goose is good for the treasonous gander.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:04 AM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Trump is a deadbeat. Well known for being a deadbeat. He's run numerous businesses into the ground. Several bankruptcies. Thousands of lawsuits over refusing to pay what he owes.

This has been going on for decades. So why any anyone would bankroll him at all is a mystery to be solved.

In any case, Deutsche Bank says they're through. Last I read, they were trying to sell their Trump loans and having little luck.

Think on this for a moment.
not bad when you've owned over 500 businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies