Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 07:43 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Where have you been? Both parties love huge corporations? That's who runs the country really, they pay enough money to politicians to get what they want.

Two sides of the same coin, one party just has a better PR team.
In Congress? Sure.

I am talking about grass roots activists, and normal democratic voters like here on CD.

This thread isn't targeted towards the political elites, its targeted towards liberals on this site (and elsewhere in the country).

It seems (inadvertently) the priority of liberal activism is to target local police unions, small bakers, and other economically powerless institutions, while praising international bankers and mega-corporations for filling the void left behind.

The concern is that voters and grassroot activist are all the sudden promoting corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 07:43 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxnw View Post
This has nothing to do with liberals.

Nothing.

Why are conservatives against private companies enforcing their terms and conditions as they see fit on free services? Plenty of liberals have been booted too. You don't see them crying. FFS.
These are NOT private companies - they are all public.
These are NOT 'free services' - most are for fee+contract - and ALL include 'consideration' (their 'end users' may have free accounts - but that is not where the break was forced).
'enforcing terms and conditions as they see fit' - when their 'Political' definition overrides 'equal application' - they better have a Court Judgement FIRST, or it's now oppression; maybe even hate?

These companies also have a duty to service all equally, having been allowed to concentrate to a near-monopoly - which since they are now unilaterally acting like its time for them to be broken up forcibly.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:45 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,751,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Their economic, financial, and political hold on this country does not speak well to this 'democracy' you are supporting.

When Walmart can control the consumption of goods more than local businesses, when financial speculators can bankrupt public services, and big tech can monopolize marketing then you are no longer politically relevant.

That is not how democracy works. The concern is in every personal feud with Trump, democrats end up bolstering the power of international firms, and make this country entirely dependent on stock evaluations.

Meanwhile, democratic activism is targeting police unions and small bakeries with no political power. Maybe those complaints have merit, but this alliance with capital will only end up destroying you in the end.
The American dream is that any one person or business can succeed and rise to the top. I don't love Amazon or Wal-Mart or McDonalds, but I don't fault them for having achieved that dream better than I did.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:47 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Certainly. Being associated with Hitler was very bad for business. No amount of advertising can take away that taint. It looks as though the same will be true of being associated with Trump. It's a decision based on good business, not on political ideology.
Let's see...IBM, Volkswagen, Coca-cola, Associated Press (they fired all their Jewish employees), Kodak, Bayer and the Roman Catholic Church....all had ties and did business with Nazi Germany.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Actually, it's just capitalism at work. Are you not a fan of capitalism? Which sort of economy would you prefer?
I am not a conservative or a republican.

However my concern is maintaining local supply chains, small scale producers, ending the influence of financial markets on our industrial economy, and returning political power to communities over private corporations.

For example, I don't like the privatized monopolies like the electric companies, nor big health insurers that look to manage public services.

Capitalism, communism, etc. are just words, they don't define how we live and organize our society.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
The American dream is that any one person or business can succeed and rise to the top. I don't love Amazon or Wal-Mart or McDonalds, but I don't fault them for having achieved that dream better than I did.
These companies destroy much of our community organizations, family institutions, small businesses, personal health, political influence, and cultural productions.

They don't exist in a void, they destroy and eat up this country as the stock market overvalues their price shares and explode the cost of public services.

Also, I don't find using slave labor in Africa as a worthy 'achievement'.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Ahhh -- but is it support for mega corporations or just a protest against Trump ----

LOL.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:52 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxnw View Post
This has nothing to do with liberals.

Nothing.

Why are conservatives against private companies enforcing their terms and conditions as they see fit on free services? Plenty of liberals have been booted too. You don't see them crying. FFS.
Not a conservative but monopolies need to be regulated or broken up.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:55 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

The concern is that voters and grassroot activist are all the sudden promoting corporations.
Voters are fickle. They see a huge corporation doing something they are in favor of, and they applaud. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, just that simple isn't it?

Not sure there's anything more to it.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:58 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Ahhh -- but is it support for mega corporations or just a protest against Trump ----

LOL.
It's called suppression of free speech.

That is why they also forced parler to go dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies