Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 07:51 AM

3,770 posts, read 1,537,243 times

Advertisements

perhaps he meant easy for China to win? I see the same fate with the tech war he's waging against china.
MCGA?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-win-trade-war

Quote:
Trump vowed in his 2016 election year to very quickly “start reversing” the U.S. goods trade deficit with China, ignoring mainstream economists who downplay the importance of bilateral deficits. However, the deficit with China increased since then, hitting $287 billion in the 11 months to November last year, according to Chinese data.

More than three quarters of 200-plus U.S. manufacturers in and around Shanghai surveyed in September said they didn’t intend to move production out of China. U.S. companies regularly cite the rapid growth of China’s consumer market combined with its strong manufacturing capabilities as reasons for expanding there. “No matter how high the Trump administration raised any tariffs, it was going to be very difficult to dissuade US companies from investing,” said Ker Gibbs, president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai.

Trump repeatedly claimed that China was paying for the tariffs. Economists who crunched the numbers were surprised to find that Chinese exporters generally didn’t lower prices to keep their goods competitive after the tariffs were imposed. That meant U.S. duties were mostly paid by its own companies and consumers.
The tariffs led to an income loss for U.S. consumers of about $16.8 billion annually in 2018, according to a National Bureau of Economic Research paper.

Another own goal: Tariffs on imports from China tended to reduce U.S. exports. That was because globalized supply chains mean manufacturing is shared between countries, and the U.S. raised the costs of its own goods by levying duties on imports of Chinese components.

Trump campaigned hard back in 2016 on pledges to revive the Rust Belt by taking on China and bringing the jobs back home. It didn’t happen.

Growth in U.S. manufacturing jobs flatlined in 2019, partly due to falling exports. Even regions home to industries such as steel, which received explicit protection from Trump’s tariffs saw declines in employment, according to research by New York University Stern School of Business economist Michael Waugh, suggesting that the trade war didn’t significantly alter the trajectory of U.S. manufacturing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 10:40 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,409,115 times
We get it you love China.

The trade war is ongoing and will be for decades.

40 years of treason was not going to be undone in 1/10th of that time, not by Trump or by anyone.

Doesn't help when half our country wants to lose.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
We get it you love China.

The trade war is ongoing and will be for decades.

40 years of treason was not going to be undone in 1/10th of that time, not by Trump or by anyone.

Doesn't help when half our country wants to lose.
do I?
I tend to hate all the misinformation more than anything else. I also don't like that trump guy.

in the end, we paid for the tarriffs, just as all the economists predicted and warned about. us consumers and manufacturers were the victims and losers of the trade war.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:00 PM

so much winning by trump

Quote:
China's trade relationship with the United States, meanwhile, became even more imbalanced: Beijing's trade surplus with Washington rose to $317 billion in 2020, a 7% increase from the year prior and the second highest amount on record, according to Iris Pang, chief economist for Greater China at ING. The amount is just $7 billion shy of 2018 levels, when Trump launched a blistering trade war to right what he called a lopsided relationship with the world's second largest economy.
"Judged by the surge of US imports from China in 2020, it seems fair to say that Trump's trade war with the country failed," Kuijs said.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/14/econo...hnk/index.html

Old 01-14-2021, 08:28 PM

8,941 posts, read 2,991,950 times
Trump had to fight the Chinese and the Democrats for 4 years.

The Dems were more rabid than the Chinese.

Good lord at least Trump finally stood up to China unlike every elite corporation or establishmentarian. Believe me it would have been easier for him to just bend over for them like every other politician.

China is basically a dictatorship. Xi doesn't have to worry about silly things like elections. He can play the long game and do things that are unpopular short term without the consequences of elections, unlike Trump.

We have raked in billions from China and they were at the table in January of 2020 signing new trade agreements, then all hell broke loose with the virus.

I guess you'll be happier now. We'll go back to capitulation to China, they can keep pumping billions into the world, devaluing their currency, and stealing our IP....just like the good ol' days.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
I'd hate to see you do simple math.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:49 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,939,602 times
The Trump Admin quietly removed China’s currency manipulation designation last year.

Well some good became of the whole thing. Brazil’s soybean crop got a nice bump and the federal Government gave handouts to the farms to compensate for their losses.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Trump had to fight the Chinese and the Democrats for 4 years.

The Dems were more rabid than the Chinese.

Good lord at least Trump finally stood up to China unlike every elite corporation or establishmentarian. Believe me it would have been easier for him to just bend over for them like every other politician.

China is basically a dictatorship. Xi doesn't have to worry about silly things like elections. He can play the long game and do things that are unpopular short term without the consequences of elections, unlike Trump.

We have raked in billions from China and they were at the table in January of 2020 signing new trade agreements, then all hell broke loose with the virus.

I guess you'll be happier now. We'll go back to capitulation to China, they can keep pumping billions into the world, devaluing their currency, and stealing our IP....just like the good ol' days.
Tell me about this China currency devaluation. When our fed prints trillions of dollars out of thin air which devalues the USD, is that currency devaluation?
When we entered the plaza accord whose primary goal is to devalue the USD, is that currency devaluation?
So is it only bad when China does it? I don’t follow.
It seems like many of the things we accuse China of doing are things our govt does.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
Tell me about this China currency devaluation. When our fed prints trillions of dollars out of thin air which devalues the USD, is that currency devaluation?
When we entered the plaza accord whose primary goal is to devalue the USD, is that currency devaluation?
So is it only bad when China does it? I don’t follow.
It seems like many of the things we accuse China of doing are things our govt does.
Can you please go back there.

I'll throw in fifty cents towards your plane ticket.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:53 PM

507 posts, read 188,750 times
I feel bad for our farmers that he screwed over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies