Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 03:53 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,767,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Why do we even need a National Hymn? This is just more blatant pandering to black people. I think what’s behind it is BLM’s threat that Biden “owes black people” and it’s time to pay up. The real pay-off will come in the form of reparations, which I now believe will happen.
If you don’t care if we have a National Hymn, why do you care what it is? You’re like a toddler (apologies to all toddlers) who doesn’t want the blue block until someone else decides to play with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 04:45 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,622,969 times
Quote:
Why do we even need a National Hymn? This is just more blatant pandering to black people. I think what’s behind it is BLM’s threat that Biden “owes black people” and it’s time to pay up. The real pay-off will come in the form of reparations, which I now believe will happen.
Of course it's pandering. That's politicians do.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:55 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,475,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
If you don’t care if we have a National Hymn, why do you care what it is? You’re like a toddler (apologies to all toddlers) who doesn’t want the blue block until someone else decides to play with it.
Because it's pandering. After a while, I'd think it would be insulting.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:50 PM

6,420 posts, read 7,637,828 times
Quote:
What do you expect? It has worked for them for decades but they don't get how others see that pandering as insulting. This is what to expect when their emperor leads from behind, never doing anything merit based. It will get worse with biden/harris around.

I just heard that in Oregon "The Oregon Cares Act" panders only to blacks, excluding the good American tax payers who provide the funds, so why wouldn't they want their own "hymn"?

Old 01-12-2021, 08:11 PM

9,895 posts, read 9,538,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Good Lord. Do people not know the difference between The National Anthem (which no one suggested we change) and a damn hymn? Do they even know IF we currently have a National Hymn that would be replaced by his suggestion? Hint: We don’t.

People are losing their minds over their misunderstanding of words and the possibility of something that doesn’t even exist being replaced. Just another day on C-D.
National hymn, national anthem - a rose by any other name is still a rose. The black anthem or hymn has nothing to do with me nor a lot of people. It is for black people to embrace and celebrate.

They cant even stand a Confederate flag, which means a lot to the southerners who embrace it.. they decide to call it a racist symbol. they dont realize that the black hymn anthem IS a racist symbol. i cant support either.. both mean NOTHING to me.

Guess some things can have a measure of honor - like MLK birthday, we all get the day off, etc.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:22 PM

3,350 posts, read 1,221,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I've said for a long time that we should change it to "This Land is Your Land.
Now, I could get behind this as a National anthem! A real crowd pleaser and even meaningful to your average elementary school kid.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:24 PM

3,350 posts, read 1,221,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
National hymn, national anthem - a rose by any other name is still a rose. The black anthem or hymn has nothing to do with me nor a lot of people. It is for black people to embrace and celebrate.

They cant even stand a Confederate flag, which means a lot to the southerners who embrace it.. they decide to call it a racist symbol. they dont realize that the black hymn anthem IS a racist symbol. i cant support either.. both mean NOTHING to me.

Guess some things can have a measure of honor - like MLK birthday, we all get the day off, etc.
Have you ever heard it sung? It is really wonderful to be part of a congregation (even a white one!) with everyone belting it out.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:26 PM

25,480 posts, read 18,612,470 times
Nothing like alienating the other 86.6%

Old 01-12-2021, 08:47 PM
bu2

23,965 posts, read 14,760,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Not the Onion. How does this create unity?

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...mpression=true
Hey. Its about the least divisive thing the Democrats have done this week!

Old 01-12-2021, 08:47 PM

23,435 posts, read 17,113,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
its not the anthem for everyone.. its just for one group of people. so NO on that being the national anthem. its only for blacks.
What is obvious is the pretenders like BLM, sharpton and delusional elected officials like clyburn and the CBC, who do not speak for the black community at large and the baffled audience who thinks they do.

Hows that kwanza going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies