Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 08:52 PM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have always wondered why our national anthem is a celebration of surviving a war. Also, I think that in the U.K their "God Save the Queen" is not appropriate. A national anthem should reflect the country and it's people, not the flag surviving bombs, nor in this case, the struggles of a minority. If it's to be changed, we should have a group of citizens from all races, social and economic classes come up with 10 possibilities, and have the states vote on them.

I much prefer, for example, something like the Canadian National Anthem, "Oh Canada" which is more appropriate to represent the people and love for their country:

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all of us command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
You must be one of those boring bland Canadians whose ancestors were on the losing side in that battle.

One of my most moving moments in any national park or monument was helping to bring the flag down at sundown at Ft. McHenry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 08:56 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Never heard of it.
Same here and most of the population

Old 01-12-2021, 09:03 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Isn't a national hymn kinda dancing loose with the First Amendment? It may not be establishing religion, but ...
It makes it extra ironic that white evangelical Christians are so opposed to it. Makes me thank that the "white" is more important than the "Christian."

You are right though, there shouldn't be a national hymn at all.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:12 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I've said for a long time that we should change it to "This Land is Your Land.
I'm on for that. Great tune (based on "Lil' Darlin' Pal of Mine by the legendary Carter family). Pretty good lyrics up until the later verses when Woody's word's start to get a little lefty. Easy to sing. Easy to jam on as an instrumental. Peppy. Upbeat. Lift every voice is duller than dishwater (except for Ray Charles' version). Would be a lousy national anthem.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:16 PM

507 posts, read 187,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Not the Onion. How does this create unity?

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...mpression=true
Yeah how do things that are from black culture help with unity, we shouldn't do anything to try and make them feel like their apart of this country and their voices are being heard!

Old 01-12-2021, 09:17 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
What is obvious is the pretenders like BLM, sharpton and delusional elected officials like clyburn and the CBC, who do not speak for the black community at large and the baffled audience who thinks they do.

Hows that kwanza going?
They see things thru their filter. People can be so hard hearted that they dont see past their own beliefs. some beliefs were handed down thru generations and kids believe things as fact even when its just fear talking. Things are going back to Jim Crow except it will be for whites and adult white males especially. RIP Martin Luther Kings attempts. the latest thing which is not fair is that congress wants to give out the covid stimulus first come first served to blacks and, that leaves out the Asian, Hispanic, and white and native americans to eat dirt. Thats totally Jim Crow. Guess i will know what its like to be a black person in 1920's America. next they will lynch us and excuse it. (they might find ways to lynch us in many ways not necessarily death, but if they keep on taking rights away (which is unconstiutional and against the civil rights laws passed)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies