Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 12:02 AM

14,759 posts, read 8,093,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Most people never mention politics
That is probably a wise choice. My Granny always said never discuss religion or politics unless you want to start an
argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
To each their own. In some respects I wish I could take no interest. At the end ofthe day, the vast majority of folks just want to go about their day in peace without undue interference. They want to traffic lights to work, the post office to deliver the mail, and the public schools to be at least OK. At the end of the day, those are the most important things. If relatives don't want to go deeper than that, then that's 100% fine. If they are supporting themselves and not interfereing with others, no reason for me to criticize their interst in politics or lack thereof.

Also, I expect sa number of people who ssay they aren't interested in it simply don't want to talk about it. And really, who can blame them?
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 02:19 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
What is are your thoughts on friends/relatives who don't belong to a political party and aren't interested in politics?

Just because they say it, that doesn't mean it's true. It just means they're being very intelligent, diplomatic and polite in telling a little white lie in order to prevent hard feelings. It's as short and sweet a way as any for someone to politely let other people know that someone doesn't want to discuss politics with those other people.

When somebody tells me or I tell somebody "I don't belong to a political party and am not interested in politics" what we're really saying is "I do have some kind of political affiliation (everybody does) and I do take some interest in politics (everybody does of course) but it's nobody else's business but mine and I have no intention of discussing any of it with you. I don't appreciate you bringing up the subject of politics to me and I especially don't want to hear your views about your politics so let's change the subject to something neutral and keep it that way. Don't ever bring up politics to me again."

See?

Old 01-13-2021, 04:43 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
The title should pretty much explain the question. The question doesn't have anything to do w/ your affiliated party, it is what are your thoughts on your friends/relatives who tell you they don't have any interest in politics and don't belong to a political party. If you all could avoid the standard "idiot" & "moron" cliche's it would be great. Thank you
They are smart enough to realize they can't change anything so why bother worrying about it. Just make the best of the world as it is. You'll be happier if you do.

Are you familiar with determinism?

The United States must do what is in our national interests at all times or risk destruction. Politics is just a game that corporations play with each other for power. Democracy is just plutocracy.

Quote:
"In democratic countries, the most important private organizations are economic. Unlike secret societies, they are able to exercise their terrorism without illegality, since they do not threaten to kill their enemies, but only to starve them." - Bertrand Russell

"The people flatter themselves that they have the sovereign power. These are, in fact, words without meaning. It is true they elected governors; but how are these elections brought about? In every instance of election by the mass of a people—through the influence of those governors themselves, and by means the most opposite to a free and disinterested choice, by the basest corruption and bribery. But those governors once selected, where is the boasted freedom of the people? They must submit to their rule and control, with the same abandonment of their natural liberty, the freedom of their will, and the command of their actions, as if they were under the rule of a monarch.

Nor were the superior classes in the actual enjoyment of a rational liberty and independence. They were perpetually divided into factions, which servilely ranked themselves under the banners of the contending demagogues; and these maintained their influence over their partisans by the most shameful corruption and bribery, of which the means were supplied alone by the plunder of the public money" - Alexander Fraser Tytler, On Athenian Democracy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies