Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 03:00 PM

9,890 posts, read 4,653,413 times

Advertisements

A sheriff attending a sheriff's convention got a dui and says he will not resign because of it. Says he's still committed to public safety.

https://www.startribune.com/hennepin...dui/600130430/

Um, irony, hypocrisy, contradiction in terms etc. They say by the time a person gets their first dui they driven drunk between 70-100 times. Good chance this wasn't a one and done occasion. His bac was .13 ie above the minimum of .08. Everyone deserves 'a' chance but ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 03:06 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
You didn’t link to the article in your OP so I can only guess this is the sheriff in question.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/...wi-conviction/

Old 12-29-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
You didn’t link to the article in your OP so I can only guess this is the sheriff in question.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/...wi-conviction/
Apologies. I just corrected the link in the original post.

Old 12-29-2021, 03:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
A sheriff attending a sheriff's convention got a dui and says he will not resign because of it. Says he's still committed to public safety.

Um, irony, hypocrisy, contradiction in terms etc. They say by the time a person gets their first dui they driven drunk between 70-100 times. Good chance this wasn't a one and done occasion. His bac was .13 ie above the minimum of .08. Everyone deserves 'a' chance but ...
Police are human. They make mistakes too. So everyone should resign from their job if they get a dui? Um, no. Glad he stays on the force. Police aren’t robots.

Old 12-29-2021, 03:11 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Why are you surprised by the fact that cops are human and break laws from time to time? Off the job, he made a crucial mistake. But if his track record on the job is clean, it is not really necessary to terminate him from his job. I would think most people don't get fired for drunk driving. More often then not, they get fired because the restrictions placed on them (no driving, etc) cause them to lose their jobs. Other than that, taking away someone's livelihood is a great way to encourage someone to drink.

At any rate, I would think police have similar rates of alcohol abuse, drunk driving, etc as other professionals. Police work is very stressful. Some people turn to booze because of a genetic predisposition. There are lots of reasons why some people develop alcohol problems, and most of those reasons have nothing to do with their profession.

Old 12-29-2021, 03:14 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Police are human. They make mistakes too. So everyone should resign from their job if they get a dui? Um, no. Glad he stays on the force. Police aren’t robots.
When he and his deputies routinely charge people for the same thing he is charged with, yes, he should resign. He's a hypocrite

Old 12-29-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Why are you surprised by the fact that cops are human and break laws from time to time? Off the job, he made a crucial mistake. But if his track record on the job is clean, it is not really necessary to terminate him from his job. I would think most people don't get fired for drunk driving. More often then not, they get fired because the restrictions placed on them (no driving, etc) cause them to lose their jobs.

At any rate, I would think police have similar rates of alcohol abuse, drunk driving, etc as other professionals. Police work is very stressful. Some people turn to booze because of a genetic predisposition. Lots of reasons why some people develop alcohol problems, and most of those problems have nothing to do with their profession.
I see what you are saying but not only is driving part of his job he is in charge of enforcing the laws on how people drive. True many not forced to resign after a dui but being the sheriff isn't just 'a' job. If the public, commissioners, politicians etc accept his wish to stay so be it.

Old 12-29-2021, 03:46 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I see what you are saying but not only is driving part of his job he is in charge of enforcing the laws on how people drive. True many not forced to resign after a dui but being the sheriff isn't just 'a' job. If the public, commissioners, politicians etc accept his wish to stay so be it.

Has there been a push to have him removed? There is a process for recalling elected officials.

Old 12-29-2021, 03:48 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Why should he resign? As long as he pays his debt to society in full, he is just like anyone else.

Plus, if its his first DUI, I believe he can go thru diversion, and probably keep his drivers license, as long as he is driving for work.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:09 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Is terminating employment and becoming a welfare recipient part of getting a DUI? I honestly don't know, maybe it is. But it seems a little stupid for someone to no longer be a productive part of the workforce because he or she made one really stupid mistake. Should a person getting caught smoking pot also be forced out of the labor force?

I could see it if it were an ongoing thing that affects the person's ability to do their job. But until then, maybe trying to help the person not do it again rather than destroying his or her life might be a better plan.

I know two people who have gotten DUIs over the years. One of them made a stupid mistake one night, and was arrested for it. It didn't affect his employment and as far as I know, it has never happened since. I don't see any reason that guy should have been fired (or quit) at the time. He never did fail to perform his employment duties. The other guy became a drunk, and after a couple DUIs was fired. He's been a basket case for about fifteen years up until about six months ago. He finally found another job and has been doing at least acceptably since--and not drinking. But he didn't have a job for all those years because he was largely dysfunctional and drunk most of the time. BUT... getting a single DUI with no further problems doesn't necessarily need to lead to a destroyed life, lost job, divorce, lost home, homelessness, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies