Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 09:10 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times

Advertisements

BWAHAHAHAHA.

My God you cant be serious.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:11 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Why let a bunch if pricks steal a widely used and recognized hand gesture?? Best approach is to ignore their stupid attempt to co-opt the OK sign. I'm not changing. I'm not some dumbass that thinks that the melanin content of a person's skin somehow tells you anything about them. Why do I have to change? They're they ones that suck!

As a matter of stubbornness, I will assume that it's always intended as just saying OK. If I ever find occasion to be intentionally oblivious in a way that ticks them off, that'll be the payoff. That's a tricky thing of course. In my 45 years on this planet, I think I've met a total of one actual white supremacist, and that only very briefly.
I agree, wholeheartedly. Their is no reason to change your behavior just because a bunch of losers use something to. ISIS use pickup trucks the most out of any group I've seen. Just don't find yourself throwing it up in a group photo above your waist with Richard Spencer, a Confederate Flag, no minorities or MAGA hat also in frame. I say this wholeheartedly knowing that a MAGA hat or pictures with no minorities by themselves isn't racist but the hat/no minorities in a group photo of people throwing the okay sign can easily be seen as supporting those same white supremacists who threw the sign up in court after killing people.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:16 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
This is the Arizona chapter of Proud Boys. Not all Proud Boys are of the same ilk as the chairman, Enrique Tarrio and Afro-Cuban from Miami. He's a front man to cover
The Core Values of the Proud Boys have remained unchanged since they were founded as a complete joke:
Core Values Of The Proud Boys https://proudboysusa.com/tenets/
  • Minimal Government
  • Maximum Freedom
  • Anti-Political Correctness
  • Anti-Drug War
  • Closed Borders
  • Anti-Racial Guilt
  • Anti-Racism
  • Pro-Free Speech (1st Amendment)
  • Pro-Gun Rights (2nd Amendment)
  • Glorifying the Entrepreneur
  • Venerating the Housewife
  • Reinstating a Spirit of Western Chauvinism
They are fundamentally an anti-racist organization. Expressing racist views will get you kicked out in short order. But they will freely admit that they like throwing up the OK hand gesture to troll all the morons out there.

I wholeheartedly disagree with their propensity for violence, but I'm constantly baffled by the overwhelming need to lie about the Proud Boys. The origin story of the phrase "gas-lighting" comes to mind. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting#Etymology

Old 01-14-2021, 09:17 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,719,419 times

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/09/us/ca...soh/index.html

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cp...5518635e57.jpg
In court on 7 May Manshaus flashed an "OK" hand sign used by far-right extremists

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53006164

Norway court jails mosque gunman Manshaus for 21 years
Published11 June 2020

A Norwegian court has sentenced a gunman to 21 years in prison - with a minimum term of 14 years - for killing his teenage step-sister and opening fire at a mosque.

Philip Manshaus, 22, opened fire at the al-Noor Islamic Centre in Baerum, west of the capital Oslo, last August.

Several shots were fired in the mosque but nobody was seriously hurt. Manshaus was overpowered before police arrived

__________________________________________________ _______________

Again intent is what matters.

Some people use the "O.K." to mean "I approve"
Others might use it unconsciously while they are talking

But Kyle Rittenhouse was posing in a bar with others using it. Somebody in their twenties would normally thing it was very corny
but the right wing has taken on the symbol, let's be honest
You have a group of proud boys here using it

and you can see this man May Manshaus in court is doing it very deliberately.

So let's deal with reality here, you can post a million random people, basketball players, celebrities using the O.K. sign and try to pretend that the other meaning is just made up

But it's not made up it was used on the 4Chan boards by white supremacists since 2019 and
articles were published about it and they liked to use it

Kyle Rittenhouse is seen as a hero by Militia groups and the far right

and he was in a bar with other people using this symbol,

Either he knew what it meant or they put him up to it and he didn't know what it referred to but let's not play games

Old 01-14-2021, 09:18 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
If true, so what?

Old 01-14-2021, 09:20 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And who, exactly decided to change its meaning? What else is the left going to pervert?

I didn't. Why should I? I haven't been reading this forum all my life. So I wasn't exposed to the "new language" that you guys come up with for kicks.
Are you being obtuse purposely or does it come natural to you?

Old 01-14-2021, 09:34 PM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
You're the one being obtuse. I'm not going to let a bunch of snotnosed pricks tell me that the "okay" hand gesture that everyone has used since god know when suddenly means something else because some joker on the internet says it does. If you don't like that, then you know where you can cram it. I know what the middle finger means too; so consider yourself gestured with that.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:34 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I agree, wholeheartedly. Their is no reason to change your behavior just because a bunch of losers use something to. ISIS use pickup trucks the most out of any group I've seen. Just don't find yourself throwing it up in a group photo above your waist with Richard Spencer, a Confederate Flag, no minorities or MAGA hat also in frame. I say this wholeheartedly knowing that a MAGA hat or pictures with no minorities by themselves isn't racist but the hat/no minorities in a group photo of people throwing the okay sign can easily be seen as supporting those same white supremacists who threw the sign up in court after killing people.
I think the tricky thing is that we live a culture where every white person is perpetually terrified that somebody will label them a Racist. As a result of that paranoia, most people will allow well established words, phrases and gestures to be redefined and just accept, rather than having the big R word forever branded on them. It's ridiculous and infantile, but that's the world we live in right now.

4Chan did another unsuccessful troll. They tried to get everyone to believe the the two-fingered gesture for peace now means "there are only two genders" which would make it a hate symbol against anyone claiming to be anything but male or female. It didn't take hold of course, but it might have. And if it had, it'd just be that much more evidence that human beings are gullible idiots. It's also further reason to just simply ignore all this attempts to change the meaning of so many things that everyone already knows the meaning of.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:35 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Well the Norwegian language (against tos) under his user name and status interprets to:
Jeg Synes Nok er Nok
“I Think Enough is Enough”
Vi må legge kortene på bordet nå
“We have to put the cards on the table now”

So yeah... purposely obtuse about hidden meanings.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:37 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
“Ok” sign is now a white power sign?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies