Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 06:20 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,836 times

Advertisements

Here is something to consider... Imagine you did not know who won the 2020 presidential election. Imagine that through the next 4 years you lived your normal life without ever learning who won the election. Four years from now you are asked who won, Biden or Trump, based on the circumstances in your life over those 4 years. Your answer would be almost entirely a guess. Contrary to what many people think, who is president does not have a big impact on your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 07:05 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Nonsense.

When Obama won in 2008, there was no doubt who had won by 2010. The tyranny was a dead giveaway.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Nonsense.

When Obama won in 2008, there was no doubt who had won by 2010. The tyranny was a dead giveaway.
In what form did the "tyranny" affect you?

I'm asking sincerely.

I personally was REALLY angry when the Obama healthcare plan was shoved down our throats, but now I'm actually grateful for it because it turned out much better than I predicted.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In what form did the "tyranny" affect you?

I'm asking sincerely.

I personally was REALLY angry when the Obama healthcare plan was shoved down our throats, but now I'm actually grateful for it because it turned out much better than I predicted.
Obamacare was in 2010 and was one of the biggest single presidential programs as far as how it affected the American population. And it didn't affect it very much. Whether it directly affected you or not (and mathematically it probably didn't), people still went to work, drank beer and watched American Idol on TV. Nothing comparable to Obamacare from 2012 to 2016 or for that matter 2016 to today.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:23 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,356,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galileosmith View Post
here is something to consider... Imagine you did not know who won the 2020 presidential election. Imagine that through the next 4 years you lived your normal life without ever learning who won the election. Four years from now you are asked who won, biden or trump, based on the circumstances in your life over those 4 years. Your answer would be almost entirely a guess. Contrary to what many people think, who is president does not have a big impact on your life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
nonsense.

When obama won in 2008, there was no doubt who had won by 2010. The tyranny was a dead giveaway.
+1

Old 01-17-2021, 09:28 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,258,218 times
Politics has replaced religion, and like religion it is mostly used as a pretext for other forces we'd rather not dwell on.

There are so many things that have a bigger impact on your day to day than politics. Politics is used as a scapegoat when things go badly because we don't want to face up that the problem may be of our own making, or even worse and more commonly it's just a random thing that has no solution.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAngie View Post
I have heard many times that the biggest single affect the president has on the citizenry is the appointment of judges. I would think that the pandemic would make this past presidential term more crucial but I'm not sure Hillary Clinton would have done appreciably better, enough for a person to notice.
I think there have been perhaps a 3 or 4 presidents that have made such a difference, when compared to their rival, that they would be acknowledged as a difference-maker. Perhaps John Kennedy. Franklin Roosevelt, and probably more than any president, Lincoln made a difference when compared to his 1860 opposing candidate, Stephen Douglas.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:00 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Here is something to consider... Imagine you did not know who won the 2020 presidential election. Imagine that through the next 4 years you lived your normal life without ever learning who won the election. Four years from now you are asked who won, Biden or Trump, based on the circumstances in your life over those 4 years. Your answer would be almost entirely a guess. Contrary to what many people think, who is president does not have a big impact on your life.
So, basically you're saying that some people are going to be rioting in America's streets no matter who is President.

I tend to agree. People don't change.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:02 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Nonsense.

If you think tyranny began in 2010 you've been living under a rock.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:03 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, basically you're saying that some people are going to be rioting in America's streets no matter who is President.

I tend to agree. People don't change.
Marxists are violent.

Doesn't matter if they're Red or Blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies