Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2021, 03:03 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
there are literally no social media monopolies. LOL
The social media market is not even an oligopoly like so many other markets. It is a monopoly where Youtube has the overwhelming majority of the video-sharing market compared to competitors (Bitchute, Rumble, etc.); probably similar market share percentages for Twitter and Facebook in their respective markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 04:01 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
The social media market is not even an oligopoly like so many other markets. It is a monopoly where Youtube has the overwhelming majority of the video-sharing market compared to competitors (Bitchute, Rumble, etc.); probably similar market share percentages for Twitter and Facebook in their respective markets.
there are dozens of other social media apps to use. And noone is stopping you from making a social media app. There is no monopoly.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:44 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
there are dozens of other social media apps to use. And noone is stopping you from making a social media app. There is no monopoly.
The real monopoly/cartel is above the social media apps such as payment services.

That is why they act like a monopoly, because any social media or hosting provider that does not follow, is likely to lose access to services they need to function.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:45 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
The real monopoly/cartel is above the social media apps such as payment services.

That is why they act like a monoply, because any social media that does not follow the herd will risk losing everything.
you just moved the goalposts. There are dozens of other social media apps. And nobody is stopping you from making your own social media app. How is there a monopoly?

Old 01-15-2021, 05:47 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,694,854 times
One was banned. One wasn't.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:00 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
you just moved the goalposts. There are dozens of other social media apps. And nobody is stopping you from making your own social media app. How is there a monopoly?
Listen to what I said, the monopoly/cartel is not in the social media, but in the services they depend upon.

I could create another social media, but I still would have to follow the rules of Visa/Mastercard cartel and I could not lose access to either Google or Apple due to the customers having no alternative.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:03 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Listen to what I said, the monopoly/cartel is not in the social media, but in the services they depend upon.

I could create another social media, but I still would have to follow the rules of Visa/Mastercard cartel and I could not lose access to either Google or Apple due to the customers having no alternative.
You are trying to explain that to people that do not understand. All they see is "an app".
The invisible stuff under the covers means nothing to them. They are just parroting what the media tells them.

They think you can just "create" any app and it will give you full access.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:34 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
If you use Twitter, you’re an idiot.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:42 PM

200 posts, read 83,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If you use Twitter, you’re an idiot.
I had to search Jack Dorsey to see what he looks like. He is just a young kid. Too young to run any company. He wears a big beard that he is not old enough to wear.

To have grown adult politicians using that platform is not appropriate. Twitter is for teenagers and college kids. Twitter is for immature posting.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:47 PM

327 posts, read 211,294 times
It’s time for a new social media form where anything can be said. No censorship unless clearly illegal I,e murder etc......there will be no report button for the easily offended found all over Facebook, Twitter, city data etc. it’s time for change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies