Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 12:49 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,838,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
OK I haven't changed my mind any . I'm still happy with my two votes for Trump. I got more of what I expected and wanted than with any other President I ever voted for.
That's fine. Each to his/her own. Drudge and Coulter may disagree with you, but I'm not going to deny that plenty of righties and talk radio hosts are still on the Trump train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 12:50 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,843,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Her point is, Trump could have done a lot of things that he was either unwilling or too cowardly to do. He suddenly grew a backbone only because he hates the idea of losing the election. Had he had that kind of backbone his entire administration the wall would be built.
I just don't see it that Trump was a political coward. I don't see what more he could've done building the wall or on immigration without cooperation from the other branches of government.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:57 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,838,912 times
Quote:
I just don't see it that Trump was a political coward.
I see him as an overall coward, not just political.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:06 AM

14,856 posts, read 8,179,887 times
Quote:
I just don't see it that Trump was a political coward. I don't see what more he could've done building the wall or on immigration without cooperation from the other branches of government.
Remember in 2008 when Obama said he couldn't do anything about immigration and that Congress would have to do something, but then he made an executive order that basically told Border Patrol not to enforce the law? And remember when Obama ordered a moratorium on new drilling in the Gulf after the BP spill?

The president has a lot of latitude when it comes to the enforcement of laws. He runs the executive branch, its departments, it regulatory agencies, everything. And there is a separation of powers, so neither the Congress nor the courts have direct authority to override the executive("John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it").

The only thing Congress could have done is impeach him, or cut his funding.

Basically, Trump could have gotten it done, he didn't want to, and the Republicans didn't want to. But suddenly he wants to have his supporters march on Washington and intimidate Congress because he doesn't want to give up the presidency.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:15 AM

33,074 posts, read 12,328,151 times
I’d like to read it, but all three links provided in posts are dead (all error code 404).

Old 01-15-2021, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I’d like to read it, but all three links provided in posts are dead (all error code 404).
Just go to google, type Ann Coulter Dailybeast. One of the words in the link is filtered(another word for vagina, but meant to imply weakness).

Old 01-15-2021, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Remember in 2008 when Obama said he couldn't do anything about immigration and that Congress would have to do something, but then he made an executive order that basically told Border Patrol not to enforce the law? And remember when Obama ordered a moratorium on new drilling in the Gulf after the BP spill?

The president has a lot of latitude when it comes to the enforcement of laws. He runs the executive branch, its departments, it regulatory agencies, everything. And there is a separation of powers, so neither the Congress nor the courts have direct authority to override the executive("John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it").

The only thing Congress could have done is impeach him, or cut his funding.

Basically, Trump could have gotten it done, he didn't want to, and the Republicans didn't want to. But suddenly he wants to have his supporters march on Washington and intimidate Congress because he doesn't want to give up the presidency.
I don't know Obama had more cooperation within his party and the judiciary and the media than Trump had. If you remember the courts blocked almost everything Trump tried to do on immigration.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:14 AM

Quote:
I don't know Obama had more cooperation within his party and the judiciary and the media than Trump had. If you remember the courts blocked almost everything Trump tried to do on immigration.
Trump could have just ignored the orders of the ninth-circuit and sent the issue to the Supreme Court.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Trump could have just ignored the orders of the ninth-circuit and sent the issue to the Supreme Court.
Yeah but even chief Justice Roberts was running interference against Trump. Trump tried that to get rid of DACA and Roberts saved it.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah but even chief Justice Roberts was running interference against Trump. Trump tried that to get rid of DACA and Roberts saved it.
I'm a bit confused. Isn't DACA just an executive order from Obama? How can repealing an executive order be unconstitutional?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferr...dhood_Arrivals

Last edited by Redshadowz; 01-15-2021 at 02:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies