Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 07:25 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I call it "regressive" America.
It is. The far left is not very different from the far right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 07:34 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That defeats the purpose, paying the same amount=the crappy private market we have now, which is great for the rich, and sucks for the rest of us
Sounds like being fair to me. If I get a blood test, I expect to pay the same price as everyone else. I can’t imagine them saying, hold on we have to see your tax returns to see how much this blood test is going to cost you. So I get to pay $1000, while the next person pays $10. How’s that fair? Sounds like robbery.

No one I know has had issues with healthcare. Most pay no monthly premiums or very little through their employer. I pay nothing and my employer deposits $200 per month into an HSA for me. I have about $20,000 saved in my HSA completely paid by my employer.

So I pay no monthly premium and receive $2,400 per year for my HSA. Would I get a better deal with single-payer?

Hold on, who’s paying for all the people who refuse to work? Where does that money come from?

Old 01-15-2021, 07:51 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Sounds like being fair to me. If I get a blood test, I expect to pay the same price as everyone else. I can’t imagine them saying, hold on we have to see your tax returns to see how much this blood test is going to cost you. So I get to pay $1000, while the next person pays $10. How’s that fair? Sounds like robbery.

No one I know has had issues with healthcare. Most pay no monthly premiums or very little through their employer. I pay nothing and my employer deposits $200 per month into an HSA for me. I have about $20,000 saved in my HSA completely paid by my employer.

So I pay no monthly premium and receive $2,400 per year for my HSA. Would I get a better deal with single-payer?

Hold on, who’s paying for all the people who refuse to work? Where does that money come from?
Anecdote and confirmation bias on display. If everyone you know is upper middle class or wealthier, of course this would be the case

Old 01-15-2021, 07:54 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
A lot of the things you listed aren't necessarily bad things.
Sure if your China. Thought police?

Old 01-15-2021, 07:55 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Now that we can expect Progressive America to get into full-swing, are these some of the things we can expect?
  • Banning free speech
Has it ever occurred to right wingers: why are you all repeating the same lines? You think 'Banning free speech' is removing a profile from a social media site after they broke their personal consent agreement? Do you think a mod on city-data banning a troll is an attack on free speech? It's a poor argument from the right wing propaganda machine, but the most faithful buy into the story.

Quote:
Removing the use of words and language as deemed offensive
Thought police
These points are related to 1 in the same way, it's not happening. There is no thought police. There is no attack on 'words'. There is no war on Christmas. However, there is a real discussion to be had about the need for middle schoolers to read books with the N-word written in it.

Quote:
Public shaming of political dissent
This has always gone on and needs to happen. Shameful people like the Ivy League duo of Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley who pretend to 'know how it feels' to be a normal working class person deserve to be called out until they leave in disgrace.

Quote:
Fake science to promote an agenda
I have written quite a bit about the anti-intellectualism movement before and don't really want to dive into the full psychology behind believing science is 'fake' and people on YouTube hold the key to the truth, but it is one of the most frightening characteristics of the average Trumpist.

Quote:
Higher taxes
Taxing the rich has real merit. Conservative think tanks and lobbyists representing the billionaire class have spent two generations convincing the public that the top tier of the tax rate should not return to the levels of the 1950s. Instead the government has raised taxes on everyone else and gone into incredible debt whilst creating policy that has exacerbated inequality.

Quote:
More corruption
Doubtful considering that Trump's administration will go down as one of the most corrupt in the history of the United States: A graph comparing criminals in Presidential Admins

Quote:
Globalism
I don't know if Republicans know this, but things like free trade and capitalism aka globalism are fiscal conservative principles taught in business schools.

Quote:
Unlimited illegal immigration in order to get more votes
A few years dated, but just a reminder of why the GOP doesn't ever pass immigration reform when they have all of congress.

The (Real) Reason Why the House Won’t Pass Comprehensive Immigration Reform

Quote:
Why, then, do many House Republicans oppose comprehensive immigration reform, as presented in the Senate bill?
It’s because House Republicans aren’t motivated by true conservatism. Rather, they represent constituencies haunted by anxiety associated with the perception that they’re “losing their country” to immigrants from south of the border.
The Republican Party is 89 percent white, and 97 percent of Republican House districts in the 113th Congress have white majorities. Moreover, 67 House Republicans won seats with the support of the Tea Party. And people who are highly identified with the Tea Party are anxious about Latino immigrants taking over “their”country. In some instances, Tea Party groups are leading the charge against comprehensive reform.
Quote:
Corrupt elections
Considering the GOP just tried to overthrow our Republic with lies about election fraud (that began to spread months in advance of the election to make sure the sheep were in line) and the violent insurrection attempt by the most faithful Trumpists, I doubt the next elections will be as contentious

Quote:
Big tech censorship of political voices
The issue of 'Big Tech' goes beyond censorship. The monopolization of the industry needs to be examined thoroughly. Joe Biden is a Northeast banker politician. He's not going to cozy up to big tech.

Quote:
The free press becoming nothing but propaganda
Again, a conservative made problem. The FCC fairness doctrine was viewed as over regulation by the GOP. Regan pushed hard to repeal it and did. That opened the legal floodgates to mix opinion and fact into one package creating the likes of Foxnews and MSNBC.

Quote:
Identity politics
I mean no one plays identity politics harder than the GOP: white conservative christian gun loving 2A supporting Patriot

Quote:
Academic indoctrination
This point relates to the 'fake science' comment. The disdain for higher education and intellectuals is all part of the culture rot of the right.

Quote:

It's kind of ironic as every dystopian scenario features these forms of government and yet people willingly and blindly follow it thinking it will all be better. But this is what Progressive America has become. Ironically, the Left will scoff at this without even realizing that they are the mindless masses.
The great irony is everything you wrote in this post is straight rhetoric not based in truth or fact, but instead repeated by Trump, the government, and the rest of the right wing propaganda machine willing and blindly following it thinking it will all be better.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 01-15-2021 at 08:05 AM..

Old 01-15-2021, 08:06 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
One of the smartest things a Conservative on this site has ever said. You ABSOLUTELY SHOULD!

I'll give you starter list...

Raise the cutoff that stops salaried employees from getting paid OT
Increase border judges so that more illegal immigrants become legal immigrants
Increase credits to cover hc premiums
I have actually been thinking about starting a thread where we can share things we support that the opposite party has as a talking point. Nothing is as straightforward though as it sounds. Some examples below.

Raise the cutoff that stops salaried employees from getting paid OT - I'm not sure all salaried employees would want this. Employers do sometimes take advantage of salaried employees and work them to death, but other employers don't. If the base gets moved up, does that mean salaried employees are now hourly?

Increase border judges so that more illegal immigrants become legal immigrants - I could probably go along with this as long as we also take steps to secure the boarder and have limits on how many we let in. The number we let in should also have qualifiers like so many have to be educated, so many not, some proof of skills, that sort of thing.

Increase credits to cover hc premiums - Not quite following on this one. Can you share more of what you are thinking.

Here are a couple things I agree with liberals on. We may not agree on how to address them, but I'm sure if both sides worked together they could come up with the best solution.
-Existing health conditions should be covered (they are now and should continue to be)
-Wages are too low in general
-DACA's should be given a pathway to citizenship (not just given but go through a process for vetting). I think many conservatives agree on this.
-More spending on public transportation specifically subways and trains

Old 01-15-2021, 08:41 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I have actually been thinking about starting a thread where we can share things we support that the opposite party has as a talking point. Nothing is as straightforward though as it sounds. Some examples below.

Raise the cutoff that stops salaried employees from getting paid OT - I'm not sure all salaried employees would want this. Employers do sometimes take advantage of salaried employees and work them to death, but other employers don't. If the base gets moved up, does that mean salaried employees are now hourly?

Increase border judges so that more illegal immigrants become legal immigrants - I could probably go along with this as long as we also take steps to secure the boarder and have limits on how many we let in. The number we let in should also have qualifiers like so many have to be educated, so many not, some proof of skills, that sort of thing.

Increase credits to cover hc premiums - Not quite following on this one. Can you share more of what you are thinking.

Here are a couple things I agree with liberals on. We may not agree on how to address them, but I'm sure if both sides worked together they could come up with the best solution.
-Existing health conditions should be covered (they are now and should continue to be)
-Wages are too low in general
-DACA's should be given a pathway to citizenship (not just given but go through a process for vetting). I think many conservatives agree on this.
-More spending on public transportation specifically subways and trains
There's definitely places where R&D have shared goals, even if the reasoning differs. We spend too much time attacking motives instead of just agreeing to reach the same goal.

Technically, salary employees are already hourly employees, you just can't reduce their weekly hours w/o jumping through hoops. So when they work more than 40 hrs, they get the same OT benefit that strictly hourly people get.

A lot of people don't qualify for the hc credits that reduce the cost of premiums bc they make too much. We need to raise that threshold to cover more people. People who get that credit now actually LIKE Obamacare. It's the people making 80k with a family plan to cover their wife and kid that are the loudest critics. They'd be a lot quieter if they were eligible for the premium reduction that credits give them

Old 01-15-2021, 08:45 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Now that we can expect Progressive America to get into full-swing, are these some of the things we can expect?
  • Banning free speech
  • Removing the use of words and language as deemed offensive
  • Thought police
  • Public shaming of political dissent
  • Fake science to promote an agenda
  • Higher taxes
  • More corruption
  • Globalism
  • Unlimited illegal immigration in order to get more votes
  • Corrupt elections
  • Big tech censorship of political voices
  • The free press becoming nothing but propaganda
  • Identity politics
  • Academic indoctrination

It's kind of ironic as every dystopian scenario features these forms of government and yet people willingly and blindly follow it thinking it will all be better. But this is what Progressive America has become. Ironically, the Left will scoff at this without even realizing that they are the mindless masses.
All of the above. The Hate America Party is now in control.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:48 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
  • Banning free speech
  • Thought police
  • Higher taxes
  • More corruption
  • Globalism
  • Corrupt elections
  • Identity politics

Eery time a Democrat gets into office, there are these wild scenarios that USA will turn into the next China/Russia/Cuba/VEnezuela.

Investors seem to not be supporting your doom and gloom economy. Somebody is misinformed.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:08 AM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
  • Banning free speech
  • Thought police
  • Higher taxes
  • More corruption
  • Globalism
  • Corrupt elections
  • Identity politics

We already have a lot of that stuff already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies