Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 11:40 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times

Advertisements

Does this mean that all 37 people will be arrested or 1 person will be arrested of the 37 suspects?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/u...-sicknick.html
Quote:
The F.B.I. is investigating 37 people related to the killing of Officer Brian Sicknick, the Capitol Police officer who died after being injured during the pro-Trump riot on Jan. 6, according to an F.B.I. memo sent to the private sector and others on Friday. The Times obtained a copy of the report.

Mr. Sicknick was struck with a fire extinguisher as a violent mob flooded the halls of Congress, according to two law enforcement officials. Lawmakers hid under their desks from violent protesters after President Trump encouraged them during a rally to head to the Capitol. Mr. Sicknick died in the hospital where he was getting treatment for his injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 11:48 AM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Throw the book at them.

Capitol Police officers are Federal officers, aren't they?

I seem to recall that killing a Federal law enforcement officer while in the carrying out of his duties, gets penalties a little on the stiff side, if you catch my drift.

Find who did it, and prosecute and punish him/them to the FULL extent of the law.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:52 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Does this mean that all 37 people will be arrested or 1 person will be arrested of the 37 suspects?

Just arrest and prosecute the person who killed him. Why try to muddy the waters by claiming anyone who was causing mischief was also a murderer?

Old 01-15-2021, 12:00 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,534 times
I would imagine some (most?) of these people were the ones right there. Maybe trying to sort out exactly which one(s) did it, get testimony from the others as to what they saw. Investigate doesn't have to necessarily mean they think the person did it.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:14 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:

fake news

They don't know if he was hit by a fire extinguisher or exactly what caused his death.

I took this post seriously until I realized it was NY Times.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:17 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
fake news

They don't know if he was hit by a fire extinguisher or exactly what caused his death.

I took this post seriously until I realized it was NY Times.
Your knee jerk reaction of fake news is irrelevant. They are investigating.what’s fake about that?

Old 01-18-2021, 07:43 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:

Well, that report was simply not correct:

The F.B.I. has conducted dozens of interviews in the killing of the Capitol Police officer who died after confronting the pro-Trump mob last week and other assaults on law enforcement during the violence, according to a bureau official.

An earlier F.B.I. memo, sent to the private sector and others, had wrongly said that the bureau was investigating 37 people in the death of the officer, Brian Sicknick, but it relied on incorrect internal information; the F.B.I. official confirmed that the figure was inaccurate. It was not clear how many people the F.B.I. have identified who might have information about Mr. Sicknick’s killing.

Mr. Sicknick was struck with a fire extinguisher as a violent mob flooded the halls of Congress, according to two law enforcement officials.

Media reports surrounding Mr. Sicknick's death have been peculiar from the start.

Considering that just about every media report on the riot highlights the killing of the police officer 10 days ago at the presumed hands of a pro-Trump supporter (s) it seems that very little (actually nothing) has been released in way of detail or circumstances...

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 01-18-2021 at 08:05 AM..

Old 01-18-2021, 10:09 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Well, that report was simply not correct:

The F.B.I. has conducted dozens of interviews in the killing of the Capitol Police officer who died after confronting the pro-Trump mob last week and other assaults on law enforcement during the violence, according to a bureau official.

An earlier F.B.I. memo, sent to the private sector and others, had wrongly said that the bureau was investigating 37 people in the death of the officer, Brian Sicknick, but it relied on incorrect internal information; the F.B.I. official confirmed that the figure was inaccurate. It was not clear how many people the F.B.I. have identified who might have information about Mr. Sicknick’s killing.

Mr. Sicknick was struck with a fire extinguisher as a violent mob flooded the halls of Congress, according to two law enforcement officials.

Media reports surrounding Mr. Sicknick's death have been peculiar from the start.

Considering that just about every media report on the riot highlights the killing of the police officer 10 days ago at the presumed hands of a pro-Trump supporter (s) it seems that very little (actually nothing) has been released in way of detail or circumstances...
They did say he died directly of a natural cause. I believe one report said they thought it was a stroke.
They are continuing to investigate to see if something at the Capitol triggered or contributed to that. Did he get hit? Did he get pepper sprayed? They really don't seem to know yet. It was pretty chaotic. If he had a radio or phone, maybe they could track where he was at and review cameras at those locations. They have said they are reviewing camera footage--but they are doing that for a lot of reasons.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:30 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Yes, and FWIW, NYT printed that two sources told them he was hit with a fire extinguisher hours earlier during the riot and 1 million subsequent accounts of that day repeated the story. No evidence has emerged confirming that.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:39 AM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Just arrest and prosecute the person who killed him. Why try to muddy the waters by claiming anyone who was causing mischief was also a murderer?
If some of the others involved are still being investigated they may or may not be charged with murder depending on their involvement. There are also lesser charges that could be filed, such as being an accessory to murder, depending on the involvement that each suspect had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies