Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 07:20 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This summer we had people whining about Posse Comitatus when Trump offered to send a few hundred troops to cities where mobs were burning down entire city blocks. But that’s in the past. What I want to know is how it’s legal to use 30k troops for domestic policing? I know there are some exceptions but I don’t see any that apply. What state governor requested them for use in their state? How is this legal?
In this case, they're guarding federal buildings, which isn't just standard policing.

Guarding federal buildings is kind of their entire purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 07:25 AM

14,228 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In this case, they're guarding federal buildings, which isn't just standard policing.

what do you mean guarding federal buildings isn't standard policing?

what is standard policing to you?

Old 01-16-2021, 07:25 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
If the mob attacks mayor light foot house it’s -soldiers and cops- if they attack your house it’s -social workers
You've been misinformed.

The social workers are for if you call because your mentally ill teen, who is unarmed, is throwing kitchen chairs around again and won't calm down. And in that case, you'd get a social worker and a cop. Not 6 cops.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
what do you mean guarding federal buildings isn't standard policing?

what is standard policing to you?
Standard policing would be traffic duty including DWI and other traffic offenses, serving arrest warrants, beat cop duty, answering calls from people for burglary, robbery, murder, suspicious behavior, domestic assault, well checks, missing persons, I could go on.

You're a cop. Surely you know the typical functions cops serve.

The national guard, in this case, is being called to stand guard over federal buildings. Which is their job. And sometimes done by cops in the absence of forewarning or other agencies.

(Didn't you say you are a cop? Maybe it was a different poster)

Old 01-16-2021, 07:29 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Funny how the left cried wolf when Trump wanted a military parade . But China Biden and his cronies show a force of 30k military just to get him rigged in there shows how authoritarian they really are . So pathetic , they know nobody would show up for him because nobody likes the Manchurian candidate .

Old 01-16-2021, 07:31 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Are they armed?

Old 01-16-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Funny how the left cried wolf when Trump wanted a military parade . But China Biden and his cronies show a force of 30k military just to get him rigged in there shows how authoritarian they really are . So pathetic , they know nobody would show up for him because nobody likes the Manchurian candidate .
Cried wolf?

Old 01-16-2021, 07:36 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

That's an interesting argument, because when the NG is used in a federal capacity then CP applies, which means they can't be used against US Civilians. The link I posted before is a good legal read on the subject and was written in response to Trump's proposed use of the NG.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 01-16-2021, 07:37 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I wouldn't want it under-protected. I'm just asking - how is it legal to use national guard forces from other states to police Washington DC and on what legal authority are they doing it - and whose?
With the knowledge that the Militia of the United States is the United States National Guard:

"The Congress shall have the power...to provide for calling forth the Militia to Execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections, and repel Invasions." US Constitution, Article 1, Section 8, Clause 15.

"The Congress shall have the power...to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress." US Constitution, Article 1, Section 8, Clause 16.

"The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States." US Constitution, Article 2, Section 2, Clause 1.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:39 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Are they armed?
Not only are they armed but have been authorized to use lethal force:

Article
Moderators for US and World Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies